Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Students in Montreal - interview

Students in Montreal - interview

Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:51 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Students in Montreal - interview

I saw an interview on TV this morning with a student leader in Montreal. He was asked if he would condemn the recent vandalism. His answer was "I dont have a mandate to condemn it" ?????? ITS AGAINST THE LAW Thats your mandate.

Is it just me? am I getting old? I have never heard such rubbish in all my life, and these people are being university educated, to be what?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Students in Montreal - interview

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I saw an interview on TV this morning with a student leader in Montreal. He was asked if he would condemn the recent vandalism. His answer was "I dont have a mandate to condemn it" ?????? ITS AGAINST THE LAW Thats your mandate.

Is it just me? am I getting old? I have never heard such rubbish in all my life, and these people are being university educated, to be what?
Academics
Apparently with the vast majority of these type of allegedly well educated persons they like to discuss why they think the law should not apply or is unjust and that in their opinion means nothing.
They feel challenging the authorities is part of their mandate and arguing or debating such matters is considered to be a sign of higher intelligence.
There are several threads on BE discussing what the law actually says and who it applies to.
Debate is good and so is challenging but it becomes tiresome after a while.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Apr 17th 2012 at 2:20 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

This student strike has been crazy. They have blockaded the main bridges and highways during rush hour.

They have harrassed government ministers and university staff in their homes and vadalised their offices.

They have vandalised newspaper offices when reporters has written an article that does not support them. They have blockaded classes so that students have not been able to go to class.

When they have thrown things at the police and got a tough response they have complained about police brutality. And carried their injuries as a badge of honour.

They have by far the lowest tuition fees in the countries and every generation have a big strike whenever anyone tries to increase them.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
This student strike has been crazy. They have blockaded the main bridges and highways during rush hour.

They have harrassed government ministers and university staff in their homes and vadalised their offices.

They have vandalised newspaper offices when reporters has written an article that does not support them. They have blockaded classes so that students have not been able to go to class.

When they have thrown things at the police and got a tough response they have complained about police brutality. And carried their injuries as a badge of honour.

They have by far the lowest tuition fees in the countries and every generation have a big strike whenever anyone tries to increase them.
How do students strike? Who is it that requires their services?

Sounds to me like they are simple thugs. I could, of course, be completely wrong.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Sounds to me like they are simple thugs. I could, of course, be completely wrong.
Someone will be along later to point that out
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Their sense of entitlement knows no bounds. Wait until they get out in the real world, and they say they don't to work past 5 pm or finish up a project that is due and it will suddenly be 'do you want fries with that?'
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

What they say is that if they do not study and graduate there will be a serious skills shortage as there will be nobody to replace those now retiring.

They say that if they are forced to repeat the year there will not be enough places available for those high school students now graduating so the whole education system will collapse under the weight of it and we will all suffer.

They also complain about those fat cats who run the universities paying themselves huge wages and buying expensive furniture.

They believe that if the administration were more efficient there would be no need to increase tuition fees. They actually believe that university education should be free as they are doing us all a favour by studying.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Their sense of entitlement knows no bounds. Wait until they get out in the real world, and they say they don't to work past 5 pm or finish up a project that is due and it will suddenly be 'do you want fries with that?'
Some of them never get out into the real world though. They carry on studying taking courses for a great percentage of their lives and when reality hits it also can be "Will that be regular or premium fill up"
Education is a wonderful thing but it doesnt put food on the table or pay bills if there is no job to go with all of those degrees and diplomas that were well earned.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
What they say is that if they do not study and graduate there will be a serious skills shortage as there will be nobody to replace those now retiring.

They say that if they are forced to repeat the year there will not be enough places available for those high school students now graduating so the whole education system will collapse under the weight of it and we will all suffer.

They also complain about those fat cats who run the universities paying themselves huge wages and buying expensive furniture.

They believe that if the administration were more efficient there would be no need to increase tuition fees. They actually believe that university education should be free as they are doing us all a favour by studying.
The professors? What kind of furniture do they require?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The professors? What kind of furniture do they require?
Ivory towers are expensive.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ivory towers are expensive.
plus they also need nice suits etc when meeting Govt officials to lobby for more money and grants to persue a project that may or may not provide a benefit.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique

To believe that Karl Marx and his policies is some type of god send. I doubt they have ever heard of Adam Smith. That is what institutionalization can get you, it is no surprise that as people get older and away from the dogma they tend to have a more conservative world view.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 5:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
To believe that Karl Marx and his policies is some type of god send. I doubt they have ever heard of Adam Smith. That is what institutionalization can get you, it is no surprise that as people get older and away from the dogma they tend to have a more conservative world view.
“With the greater part of rich people, the chief enjoyment of riches consists in the parade of riches, which in their eye is never so complete as when they appear to possess those decisive marks of opulence which nobody can possess but themselves.”
Old Apr 17th 2012, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
“With the greater part of rich people, the chief enjoyment of riches consists in the parade of riches, which in their eye is never so complete as when they appear to possess those decisive marks of opulence which nobody can possess but themselves.”
How would the Sun write that as a headline?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Such as Salmon fishing in the pacific northwest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.