Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead

Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead

Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:54 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead

*sigh*....whatever happened to selecting the folder in osx and hitting the return key and typing the new name
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
One wonders though what windows would be like were it not for the fact that the Mac OSs were so much better for so long.

The suspicion is that without the Apple products PCs would still be running in DOS, or maybe something like Win 3.1

Apple changed peoples expectations about how technology should work in their lives.
Well, sure. Competition creates innovation - the way it should be.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
*sigh*....whatever happened to selecting the folder in osx and hitting the return key and typing the new name
Doesn't that open the file? Because that's what I'd expect it to do. Return to rename seems a bit counter intuitive to me.

Edit: Apparently it does. Can't say I'm impressed by that; it's not obvious that's what you have to do. An explicit right click rename option should exist like it does on all other OS's.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 6th 2011 at 8:04 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Doesn't that open the file? Because that's what I'd expect it to do. Return to rename seems a bit counter intuitive to me.
Me too.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:25 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
One wonders though what windows would be like were it not for the fact that the Mac OSs were so much better for so long.

The suspicion is that without the Apple products PCs would still be running in DOS, or maybe something like Win 3.1

Apple changed peoples expectations about how technology should work in their lives.
I’m not so sure that Mac drove the windows GUI evolution as many think, Xerox started it, the Apple Lisa put it on the map and promptly dropped off Windows Beta’s existed back in 1983, Lotus Notes was another GUI contender that did well for a while, The Xserver in Unix lead the way in real graphics (SGI), the Mac itself didn’t exist until 1984, in its early days its didn’t even really exist on the PC radar screen at all, yes the Mac was the only one with a standard GUI up till about 1990 (but stupidly expensive priced at a SGI workstation level, but with hardware just comparable to a i386 at a quarter the price)with PC’s it was an option from 1984 onwards and one you had choices with and with color, the first Mac's uptill 1990 were black and white and small, its only in the last few years (around the time of XP) you could say that the Mac system started to drive any real competition, by which time both options were well entrenched within there respective markets, and the only real competition was in the computer magazines reviewers minds

Last edited by MikeUK; Oct 6th 2011 at 9:01 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:43 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Edit: Apparently it does. Can't say I'm impressed by that; it's not obvious that's what you have to do. An explicit right click rename option should exist like it does on all other OS's.
Right Click and select Get Info....you rename in there as far as I am aware.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Right Click and select Get Info....you rename in there as far as I am aware.
Ah, ok. Now I know that return does it I'm happy to just do that. I honestly didn't know you could do that (hat tip to ultrarunner). I've been doing this delayed click thing since I got it and it's really frustrating when you get it wrong and the file is opened. Especially when it's a video file associated with an app that runs full screen like xbmc. Maybe I should have googled it earlier - oh well that will teach me.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:09 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, ok. Now I know that return does it I'm happy to just do that. I honestly didn't know you could do that (hat tip to ultrarunner). I've been doing this delayed click thing since I got it and it's really frustrating when you get it wrong and the file is opened. Especially when it's a video file associated with an app that runs full screen like xbmc. Maybe I should have googled it earlier - oh well that will teach me.

Don't know if that was a compliment? After all am not a self confessed "Geeky enough to bite" type, and even my teenager knows how to do that. I guess at the end of it all, we are all human innit? LOL

Last edited by ultrarunner; Oct 6th 2011 at 10:14 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Don't know if that is a compliment After all am not a self confessed "Geeky enough to bite" type. I guess at the end of it all, we are all human?
It was a thank you for the useful tip.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:17 pm
Banned

It was a thank you for the useful tip.
Good to know am good for somfink ...........de rien
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Were'nt Atari computers also early innovators of the GUI interface? I had an Atari "mega 1" ST when I was a student in the late 80's & it was considered the cheaper alternative to the Mac.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:07 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Were'nt Atari computers also early innovators of the GUI interface? I had an Atari "mega 1" ST when I was a student in the late 80's & it was considered the cheaper alternative to the Mac.
Parc that came up with the GUI, the mouse and a host of other stuff.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:57 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-201110064389/

Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead-steve-jobs.jpg  
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Was "I have an app for that" Apple's slogan? I seem to have lived beyond the reach of their adverts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.