Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead

Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead

Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead

Hadn't looked to well for a while now.
Shame
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:15 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steve Jobs (Apple) Dead

*not really Canadian related* perhaps should be in the general forums? Anyhoo

Yep....it's official. I am not an apple fan-boy, but you can't help but admire his brilliance and market know-how. At least he was there to see the iphone 4s released and his shares drop on the same day

RIP Steve !

No pressure Tim Cook

Whilst we are on the Apple subject, with regards to the new voice recog feature, PC Magazine had this to say

"Siri, what is the translation for Siri in Japanese?" "Rump, ass, bottom."
Perhaps it's not a literal translation, but Apple's new voice-recognition technology inside the iPhone 4S, Siri, sounds a lot like "shiri," the Japanese term (尻) for "bottom". And that's prompting a bit of a giggle on Twitter and elsewhere, as people begin considering what it might be like to have to refer to their iPhones using the term "butt".

Last edited by ultrarunner; Oct 6th 2011 at 12:21 am.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Neither is a good chunk of the posts in Maple Leaf.
Typed on my I-Pad as the OH is on the I-Mac.
Great bits of technology, IMHO.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC44
Hadn't looked to well for a while now.
Shame
Yes, I just logged on from my powerbook and there's a photo with the caption Steve Jobs 1955-2011.

As you say, shame. He was a tonic and a game-changer.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 4:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think his last words were iDead?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
*not really Canadian related* perhaps should be in the general forums? Anyhoo"
As an FYI "the Maple Leaf" is for general chat which is it's distinguishing point from the "Canada" section.

You can put up what you like in here.

Back on thread- Steve Jobs was an innovator and worked pretty much to the end. If I knew my time was coming and I had his money I would of spent my time doing other things. His passion for his work is in some ways inspirational and it doesn't appear it was about the money.

I don't know the man but feel sorry that he is gone at just 56......
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Back on thread- Steve Jobs was an innovator and worked pretty much to the end. If I knew my time was coming and I had his money I would of spent my time doing other things. His passion for his work is in some ways inspirational and it doesn't appear it was about the money.

I don't know the man but feel sorry that he is gone at just 56......
I would think he would be considered the devil by most posters on this site: Head of a large multinational, wealthy, bully to his staff, holding grudges against rivals, etc sounds like he meets all the criteria to be a member of the "not very nice brigade" to me. However, if you like the products made by his company, such facts don't matter. Hypocrites of the world unite
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
A
You can put up what you like in here.
Up to a point. Too much crap and people start to take exception Im afraid.

The writing has been on the wall for Steve Jobs for a while, so not a major shock to learn of his passing. I dont know anything about his personal life or his management style, but he was certainly a visionary, and a major factor in changing the technology around us. Even if you never paid the Apple premium the trickle down effect of the Apple product designs has been astonishing.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would think he would be considered the devil by most posters on this site: Head of a large multinational, wealthy, bully to his staff, holding grudges against rivals, etc sounds like he meets all the criteria to be a member of the "not very nice brigade" to me. However, if you like the products made by his company, such facts don't matter. Hypocrites of the world unite
So far he’s already getting credit for things he didn't do, most of the great step forwards he’s been credited with weren’t original but better more polished seconds
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
So far he’s already getting credit for things he didn't do, most of the great step forwards he’s been credited with weren’t original but better more polished seconds
What he had though was the ability to see what people wanted before they had even thought of it, and to make the technology work in a way that everyone could use it without getting bogged down in having to know the technical details. Like you say, the technology was seldom cutting edge, but the interface was, and combining that with the styling drew people in.

I find myself talking about Apple in the past tense now... one wonders whats in store for them now...

Last edited by iaink; Oct 6th 2011 at 1:48 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
He saw what Xerox missed.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

One obit I read pointed out that although a billionaire in the Bill Gates league, he did not do anything (visible at least) for philanthropy wheras Mr Gates is. (Although whether history will judge his efforts sufficient to banish the memory of the office help paperclip, is another story!) Also, Apple doesn't have particularly sound green or ethical sourcing credentials, despite being right on and trendy products.

Clearly he was a genius, maybe in packaging and brand management as much as technology. Clearly it's always sad when someone passes on from a particularly unpleasant disease. Does he need to be eulogised in quite the manner he is being? No, not really.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Apple doesn't have particularly sound green or ethical sourcing credentials, despite being right on and trendy products.
That's not surprising, he wasn't concerned with environmental issues and left his house, one of minor historical interest, to fall down.

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of Apple things, they look nice but I find them too difficult to operate.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What he had though was the ability to see what people wanted before they had even thought of it
No, his main skill was taking a product and persuading the consumer they needed it.

Visionary? No, that was the likes of Jonathan Ive

Still, he was one of the best public speakers imho.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us bite the dust
Steve bit the apple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.