Stay in school kids!

Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:32 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in school kids!

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I thinks it's the schools responsibility to educate a child, they are supposed to be the experts. It is my responsibility to make sure the child attends school. If the child is not attending, the responsibility of the school ends with informing the parent that the student is not there.
I believe that raising a child under the age of 12 is a very different experience to raising one over the age of 12 and those with no experience of the latter are in no position to criticize.
Any tips you care to share for post-12?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:38 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I thinks it's the schools responsibility to educate a child, they are supposed to be the experts. It is my responsibility to make sure the child attends school. If the child is not attending, the responsibility of the school ends with informing the parent that the student is not there.
I believe that raising a child under the age of 12 is a very different experience to raising one over the age of 12 and those with no experience of the latter are in no position to criticize.
Did the school claim to be "experts" on your enrollment form? Also, don't forget your kid is not the only one in class at any one given time. That is like saying kids that go to hockey camp and don't make the NHL, were failed by the camp?

Also....who's duty is it to help the kid(s) with their homework then...the school, as opposed to the parents?

I so happen to be one that saw a teenage girl go through grade school and is now in grade 12.....so I guess this point doesn't apply to me then?

Any tips you care to share for post-12?
Yeah..be involved, and if you can't help with the school work, get a private tutor
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:44 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Did the school claim to be "experts" on your enrollment form? Also, don't forget your kid is not the only one in class at any one given time. That is like saying kids that go to hockey camp and don't make the NHL, were failed by the camp?

Also....who's duty is it to help the kid(s) with their homework then...the school, as opposed to the parents?

I so happen to be one that saw a teenage girl go through grade school and is now in grade 12.....so I guess this point doesn't apply to me then?

Yeah..be involved, and if you can't help with the school work, get a private tutor
You didn't like your teen, plus she wasn't yours .. So you don't count.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Give them money and provide security plus have a job that they respect and aspire to. Wealthy kids do better than poor kids, kids with parents that have respected professions or successful businesses also do better than those who have parents that are low skilled or have less respected professions. There will be exceptions to this, but generally speaking, this is the case. So if you want the best for your child, make sure you're wealthy and/or very highly educated.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:47 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
You didn't like your teen, plus she wasn't yours .. So you don't count.
Ahahahahaha....doesn't negate the fact that I saw the transition to adulthood happen under my roof

So lets pull the next one that has "bells" on it
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:49 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Ahahahahaha....doesn't negate the fact that I saw the transition to adulthood happen under my roof

So lets pull the next one that has "bells" on it
No .. You negated any opinion when you bitched about the kid in your Whiney woe is me I'm getting divorced thread.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I am the exact opposite of a helicopter parent. I even let them outside, on their own without a cellphone! So when it comes to homework I have always felt it's the kids homework, not mine. On the rare occasion that they have needed help then it's been given, but for the most part they got on with it on their own. Once they get to University I won't be there to push them into doing their work so we figured it was good to start that work ethic young.
Incidentally my eldest one tutored at Kumon for a couple of years.
As far as Post age 12 is concerned it seems to be something of a crap shoot as the most adorable little kids can turn into total monsters, and then lovely again after age 18-20. We got lucky and ours stayed mostly human throughout the process, but I have seen some good parents go through hell for a few years.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Grade 10 kid riddled by anxiety. From the moment she walked through the high school doors in Grade 9, every adult she came into contact with drummed home, again and again (and again) how important these years were and if the kids didn't do well enough to get into university, well, they'd blown their chance. Scared her really! What a crap time we've had. Every test and exam now is like life and death. Sense of perspective has gone. Basically mum, if I don't get 94%, my life is over....

I get that entry to university, certain fields/industries and jobs is competitive, and I wouldn't want to be a teen now, but Christ, who said you had to have it all figured out by the time you were 18? I didn't (and still don't).

Can't wait for daughter number two to go this September.

Last edited by ann m; Feb 1st 2014 at 11:01 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I have a Grade 10 kid riddled by anxiety. From the moment she walked through the high school doors in Grade 9, every adult she came into contact with drummed home, again and again (and again) how important these years were and if the kids didn't do well enough to get into university, well, they'd blown their chance. Scared her really! What a crap time we've had. Every test and exam now is like life and death. Sense of perspective has gone. Basically mum, if I don't get 94%, my life is over....

I get that entry to university, certain fields/indistries and jobs is competitive, and I wouldn't want to be a teen now, but Christ, who said you had to have it all figured out by the time you were 18? I didn't (and still don't).

See this is where cultural capital comes into play. Knowing how the system works and how to exploit it.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 1st 2014 at 11:01 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

I get that entry to university, certain fields/industries and jobs is competitive, and I wouldn't want to be a teen now, but Christ, who said you had to have it all figured out by the time you were 18? I didn't (and still don't).

For mine, it was a mix of friends that she finally ditched and the grade 12 was a nightmare, the main focus was grad, grad, grad, with countdowns to each grad event and the day itself, it didn't help that the grad organiser was hrr 1st teacher of the day. Teen piff just switched off.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:04 pm
Banned

I am the exact opposite of a helicopter parent. I even let them outside, on their own without a cellphone! So when it comes to homework I have always felt it's the kids homework, not mine. On the rare occasion that they have needed help then it's been given, but for the most part they got on with it on their own. Once they get to University I won't be there to push them into doing their work so we figured it was good to start that work ethic young.
Incidentally my eldest one tutored at Kumon for a couple of years.
As far as Post age 12 is concerned it seems to be something of a crap shoot as the most adorable little kids can turn into total monsters, and then lovely again after age 18-20. We got lucky and ours stayed mostly human throughout the process, but I have seen some good parents go through hell for a few years.
The stuff in BOLD although true in some cases...I won't go drawing any forgone conclusion with emphasis on "lovely". There are many articles out there about "entitlement"

A lot of young people that have had things given to them on demand by their parents, grow up to expect stuff to be given to them. hen they get into the workforce, the reality kicks in and they become entitlement monsters
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Big Sigh.

I see some very interesting comments, & points of view on this thread. I had hoped to contribute, & learn.

However, I stupidly allowed myself to react to a poster, who appears to enjoy "trolling"/have a bee in his bonnet on certain subjects.

I think I shall have to withdraw from this thread & simply lurk & learn :-(

For the record, I still call Bull**** on the post(s) I already commented on using this out-of-character word.

For the record, I'm not going to engage in further "discussion" with the poster in question on his pet peeve.

I WILL continue to call BS as, where, & when I see it. Regardless of who posts it.

When I am wrong, concerning legalities/practicalities of life here, I admit it. Publicly.

I'm very new in these parts (BE). So far, I'm enjoying the repartee/interaction very much. I hope it continues :-)

SB
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Big Sigh.

I see some very interesting comments, & points of view on this thread. I had hoped to contribute, & learn.

However, I stupidly allowed myself to react to a poster, who appears to enjoy "trolling"/have a bee in his bonnet on certain subjects.

I think I shall have to withdraw from this thread & simply lurk & learn :-(

For the record, I still call Bull**** on the post(s) I already commented on using this out-of-character word.

For the record, I'm not going to engage in further "discussion" with the poster in question on his pet peeve.

I WILL continue to call BS as, where, & when I see it. Regardless of who posts it.

When I am wrong, concerning legalities/practicalities of life here, I admit it. Publicly.

I'm very new in these parts (BE). So far, I'm enjoying the repartee/interaction very much. I hope it continues :-)

SB
Yeah there is one poster in particular many of us just ignore.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yeah there is one poster in particular many of us just ignore.
I'm learning :-) Slowly ... ;-)
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:08 am
Banned

You can't call BS on Canadian law...it's what we are governed by, and the truth is in the pudding

Opinions...we all have one, accepting and understanding this without getting personal is important.

Just think how boring it would be if we all agreed on the same things

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.