British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Stay in school kids! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/stay-school-kids-823529/)

The4BellsLondon Feb 1st 2014 3:59 am

Stay in school kids!

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jessica-bl...ive-ever-seen/

ann m Feb 1st 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Stay in school kids!

wtf?! :eek:

Shirtback Feb 1st 2014 3:03 pm

Is this the Australian "don't be a dropout" ad? (No, I'm not going to click & find out)

If it is, yeah, I've seen it & think it's OTT. HOWEVER, as parent to a potential school dropout, I'm all for just about anything that helps drive my point home regarding the necessity of finishing official education :-(

The4BellsLondon Feb 1st 2014 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 11107726)
Is this the Australian "don't be a dropout" ad? (No, I'm not going to click & find out)

If it is, yeah, I've seen it & think it's OTT. HOWEVER, as parent to a potential school dropout, I'm all for just about anything that helps drive my point home regarding the necessity of finishing official education :-(

Yes it is and we have one too! Gr 10 .. Currently working on alternative schooling on alternate dats! Standard on others ... We shall
See.

He isn't a dropout as such.. V v bright, fantastic at lighting And sound but sees no reason for the other stuff...,

We have negotiated that we will support his chosen path thru apprenticeships etc ( he is going to LA on June to be sound op on a play) provided he grads!

Shard Feb 1st 2014 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11107169)

Well that deserved a WARNING on here at least. :thumbdown:

Way too violent.

ultrarunner Feb 1st 2014 5:36 pm

I'm all for just about anything that helps drive my point home regarding the necessity of finishing official education :-(
Am guessing by this you mean first post secondary diploma / degree then? Cos that is what will get you into a decent entry level job that is beyond minimum wage of approx $11 that is being proposed for Ontario

The thing with education and all the subjects in school, is that parents have to be involved from the beginning with their kids....I keep hearing some parents saying "the teachers aren't doing enough"....I mean like WTF

The teachers are there to provide the skeleton, and the onus is on the parents to body it up. So if your kids aren't doing well in school...guess where the problem is stemming from...

What scares me is the follow on problem that can come from this.....we end up with kids that feel entitled to the world i.e. someone to give them stuff for nowt without them having to work for it.

This attitude follows *some* people into relationships, and they end up being slobs that have to be carried by the other partner. (a red flag for anyone dating)

In Canada, a disparity in income between two people in a relationship regardless of of gender when things down work out, is an automatic case for spousal support aka alimony. It's set in stone and I bet many people don't even know this....the highest earner will get nailed.

The Supreme Court of Canada in Bracklow v. Bracklow made the definition of entitlement very broad as it did state that a significant income disparity between the spouses that would result in a significant drop in the lower income spouse's standard of living, would generally mean entitlement for some support, as would cases where there have been children, as they might be the cause of a significant disparity in income because of child - rearing responsibilities.
http://www.thepascoedifference.com/spousal-support.html

Quebec does not recognize common law relationships, so couples shacked up together won't get nowt

Oink Feb 1st 2014 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 11107952)
Am guessing by this you mean first post secondary diploma / degree then? Cos that is what will get you into a decent entry level job that is beyond minimum wage of approx $11 that is being proposed for Ontario

The thing with education and all the subjects in school, is that parents have to be involved from the beginning with their kids....I keep hearing some parents saying "the teachers aren't doing enough"....I mean like WTF

The teachers are there to provide the skeleton, and the onus is on the parents to body it up. So if your kids aren't doing well in school...guess where the problem is stemming from...

Teachers are the professionals, parents are not. The schools and teachers need to take responsibility and stop passing the blame onto the parents.

ultrarunner Feb 1st 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11107964)
Teachers are the professionals, parents are not. The schools and teachers need to take responsibility and stop passing the blame onto the parents.

Ahahahahaha...sure you are pulling our legs here? So the teachers should focus just on your kid in a whole class? What is your job then as a parent apart from just getting them to school?

With that mindset, no wonder we are seeing an increase in dropouts. Do you think Asian folks wait around for teachers to do all the work? People wonder how they do so well in spelling bee competitions and go on to university doing engineering, medicine, pharmacy etc

What next...the Govt should pay for your kid to attend post secondary? :rofl:

The4BellsLondon Feb 1st 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11107964)

Tbh I agree.. Son has IEP, I go to meet regularly with the Relevant IEP teacher. Last time it was a lady covering Mat leave.. She was lovely but had no idea who my son was?! Given he is white, 6'3 , very British and at that time had v pink hair, does most of the school announcements etc , in a school 95 percent Asian, I was a little suprised!

It then transpires.. After we see his marks dropping, that whilst his Statement. Says he is to have extra time on tests etc due to dyslexia, even tho the statement has been emailed to all his teachers .. Some have either not read it or read it and not bothered to implement !

Oink Feb 1st 2014 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 11107977)
Ahahahahaha...sure you are pulling our legs here? So the teachers should focus just on your kid in a whole class? What is your job then as a parent apart from just getting them to school?

With that mindset, no wonder we are seeing an increase in dropouts. Do you think Asian folks wait around for teachers to do all the work? People wonder how they do so well in spelling bee competitions and go on to university doing engineering, medicine, pharmacy etc

What next...the Govt should pay for your kid to attend post secondary? :rofl:

No. We know the role that culture/class has on academic expectations and success, so what happens to the children whose parents weren't fortunate to belong to higher socio-economic group and/or have had access to high levels of education. In Canada, there are a lot of immigrant children, children whose parents barely speak English. Are we to condemn these children to poorer educational expectations and chances because of an accident of birth. If the goal is a fairer society then schools are main institutions to help achieve this situation.

ultrarunner Feb 1st 2014 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11108025)
No. We know the role that culture/class has on academic expectations and success, so what happens to the children whose parents weren't fortunate to belong to higher socio-economic group and/or have had access to high levels of education. In Canada, there are a lot of immigrant children, children whose parents barely speak English. Are we to condemn these children to poorer educational expectations and chances because of an accident of birth. If the goal is a fairer society then schools are main institutions to help achieve this situation.

I still think you are trying to pass the bucket to the teachers to fully educate your kids.....again, what is your job then? If one is not prepared to educate their own kids, why bother having them?

Won't that just be a dam good reason for people that didn't go past high school, to strive for their kids to emulate them...or is it just a matter of apple trees create apples?

If you personally can't help with school work, enrol the kid(s) in after school extra tutoring or get help for them elsewhere if money is an issue by getting neighbourhood kids to help out

I have always found personally, that it's the parents that never enjoyed school, that put the blame on the school / teachers.

Articles of relevance

http://www.canadianfamily.ca/kids/ch...generation-me/

http://www.theparentingcoach.ca/news.php/news/6

http://www.alternet.org/culture/mill...s-generation-y

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...article627319/

Shirtback Feb 1st 2014 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11107843)
Yes it is and we have one too! Gr 10 .. Currently working on alternative schooling on alternate dats! Standard on others ... We shall
See.

He isn't a dropout as such.. V v bright, fantastic at lighting And sound but sees no reason for the other stuff...,

We have negotiated that we will support his chosen path thru apprenticeships etc ( he is going to LA on June to be sound op on a play) provided he grads!

Nice to see I'm not the only one ;-)

Currently tearing my hair out/grinding my teeth over a highly intelligent, under achieving & generally bolshy 16 yr old! I'm writing up an "alternative schooling" plan ATM for the school board, & working on a "contract" with her which requires commitment to a P-T job/finding an apprenticeship...

(I'm trying very hard to ignore the anti-parental rant :-( )

Shirtback Feb 1st 2014 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 11107952)
you are guessing wrongly. I said & meant "official education", aka minimum required = high school or approved equivalent until 16 (in my province)

I do agree with you that post secondary May be necessary & advisable to secure an above entry-level job. Unfortunately, the employment situation here ATM is such that people with excellent post-secondary diplomas AND MANY years of experience are finding it hard to get 11$/hr jobs.

However that was not my point, nor the point of the OP

I take offence & umbrage at this blanket rant/condemnation of parents & their involvement in education!!!!!!!

You have no idea of the extent to which the OP & I, or anyone else, are or are not involved in our children's education :-( You might be surprised, & possibly chagrined to learn my family negates your POV

Follow up posts seem to suggest others do too.

In Canada, a disparity in income between two people in a relationship regardless of of gender when things down work out, is an automatic case for spousal support aka alimony. It's set in stone and I bet many people don't even know this....the highest earner will get nailed.

BULL**** & inaccurate

Quebec does not recognize common law relationships, so couples shacked up together won't get nowt

MORE BULL*** & inaccuracy

Sorry to 4Bells for contributing to nasty thread swerve :-(

The4BellsLondon Feb 1st 2014 7:50 pm

What she said !!

Piff Poff Feb 1st 2014 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 11108106)
Nice to see I'm not the only one ;-)

Currently tearing my hair out/grinding my teeth over a highly intelligent, under achieving & generally bolshy 16 yr old! I'm writing up an "alternative schooling" plan ATM for the school board, & working on a "contract" with her which requires commitment to a P-T job/finding an apprenticeship...

(I'm trying very hard to ignore the anti-parental rant :-( )

My kid thankfully got through High School, wondered if she was going to for a while, she did the minimum to pass and has gone back for a semester to upgrade, by again doing the minimum, the teachers I found were not strict enough with deadlines. One teacher told the class at the beginning of the school year 'When I had you homework, you will pass as long as you finish it and hand it in by the end of the semester.' Which I think is shocking. They also don't let you the parent know soon enough when a child is slipping or starting to mix with a non supportive group of kids and when as a parent you go into the school asking for help and you get told, oh this is just normal you have to expect it, there is nothing we/you can do, what can you do? There is only so much nagging, cajoling, bribing, door slamming, tears etc a parent can handle, let alone the teen who thinks everyone hates her. I personally would like to see single sex schools and school uniforms.