St Georges day

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Georges day

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There again if you want to be PC and sensitive to other cultures you might refrain from flying the St Georges flag as it tends to offend certain groups.
I tend not to celebrate it like most others.
Which groups?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked the St Georges flag/emblem is the official flag of England.
I love the irony in local councils in the UK saying that the residents should be tolerant of others beliefs and cultures yet suggest the St Georges flag not be flown less it offend certain groups.

Yes if we look back at the history the flag was prominent in the Crusades but one has to question the intent of it being flown. Is it being flown to piss off the Muslims or that its celebrating St Georges day?

If the flag is that offensive then perhaps the flag should be changed to something less offensive like pink polka dots on a yellow background.
There again some might find that offensive

Perceived association with the far right
For many years, the Cross of St George had come to be associated by some with far-right groups such as the British National Party, the National Front and, more recently, the English Defence League. Many people consider this association to be unjustified as it is the Union Flag which is predominantly used by groups such as the British National Party.[14] The Cross of St George is often used by far-right groups, usually alongside the individual flags of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. However, the frequent use of the English flag by sports supporters and other groups has gone some way to disassociate the flag from any lingering association with the far-right and the Cross of St George is now frequently flown throughout the country. Despite this, displaying the flag remains controversial to a minority of people in England[15]
Some minorities living in England have stated that they still view the flag with suspicion: during a poll of readers of New Nation, "most black people interviewed said they felt alienated by the flag of St George and still associated it with the BNP".[15] However, many young, non-white people do display the flag, particularly for sporting events .[16]
The banner of St. George, the red cross of a martyr on a white background, was adopted for the uniform of English soldiers during the military expeditions by European powers to recapture the Holy Land from Muslims, and later became the national flag of England.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Apr 23rd 2013 at 1:45 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Last time I checked the St Georges flag/emblem is the official flag of England.
I love the irony in local councils in the UK saying that the residents should be tolerant of others beliefs and cultures yet suggest the St Georges flag not be flown less it offend certain groups.

Yes if we look back at the history the flag was prominent in the Crusades but one has to question the intent of it being flown. Is it being flown to piss off the Muslims or that its celebrating St Georges day?

If the flag is that offensive then perhaps the flag should be changed to something less offensive like pink polka dots on a yellow background.
There again some might find that offensive
According to the DT article I linked to, it's only become popular again since the mid-90's as commercial means to promote beer, greeting cards and tat. IME that's about right. Prior to that it mostly appeared on Anglican churches.

Are you sure some councils have banned it? That sounds like an urban myth.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:56 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I know when I lived in Lancashire the Preston Council banned all it's employees from 'flying the flag' on their desks and vehicles during the world cup.

Not sure if they have or how they'd enforce a ban on members of the public from flying them

Fly Away
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard similar stories but I don't truly think it's ever been written into law, maybe just stated...
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
According to the DT article I linked to, it's only become popular again since the mid-90's as commercial means to promote beer, greeting cards and tat. IME that's about right. Prior to that it mostly appeared on Anglican churches.

There have been many stories about councils not flying the flag for various reasons but I can't find evidence of a council banning the flying of the flag.
Certain councils when challenged have tap danced saying they cant afford a flag or they prefer to fly the Union Jack or Health & Safety reasons.
Just an example
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...gland_and.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-birthday.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-OWN-cars.html
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
I know when I lived in Lancashire the Preston Council banned all it's employees from 'flying the flag' on their desks and vehicles during the world cup.

Not sure if they have or how they'd enforce a ban on members of the public from flying them

Fly Away
Probably just wanted to keep the office looking business-like rather than a world cup party!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
what to do to celebrate my own patron saint????
I shall be celebrating in my normal fashion.

Cards, gifts and dinner out.

Oh I didn't mention did I, it's also my birthday.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Happy Birthday, sir
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Animal

Fly Away
Any flag being flown on Fishergate, Friargate or Church St would be an improvement
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Happy Birthday, sir
Yes, Happy Birthday, fly whatever you like!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be celebrating in my normal fashion.

Cards, gifts and dinner out.

Why are you celebrating? You're even older than me now.

Have a good one mate.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Happy Birthday, sir
Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, Happy Birthday, fly whatever you like!
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Why are you celebrating? You're even older than me now.

Have a good one mate.
Thank you.

Novo, I'm celebrating because I'm still living, breathing and having a relatively good time. Haven't lost my sense of humour and life is good.

If only the bloody weather would warm up.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:06 pm
Yo

Happy Birthday Steve P !
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:18 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks everyone for reminding me it's St George's day - now I don't work I seem to know what day it is (Tuesday) but the actual date often doesn't register. Reminding me means I got to send my brother a happy birthday message before he sends the usual stroppy one saying thanks for forgetting again!!!

So I will be celebrating tonight for various reasons - 1. toasting my brother, 2. blue skies here and slightly warmer, 3. finally getting a new laptop - only about 2 years too late, this thing dies a little more every day, 4. as Steve_P said enjoying being alive and having a good time, and 5 - why not celebrate St George's day and celebrate being English, I personally think more should be done for the day back in UK. After all, the Irish, Welsh and Scots manage to celebrate their days without it upsetting others or coming across as hating other races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.