Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

St Albert, Alberta: No low income peeps, please

St Albert, Alberta: No low income peeps, please

Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:40 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Albert, Alberta: No low income peeps, please

Originally Posted by Tangram
Interesting post. I wonder how many people on here have moved over and are now in a smaller property than they had in the UK, in a worse area for education and financially are worse off than any other time in their lives.

Whilst being close to Canadian relatives and available work were criteria in my move, I would be lying if I said that the above factors did not influence me whatsoever in my emigration.
well said
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:41 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Where's rae when you need him? (Probably out working, in that crime-ridden centre down the road)
yep have been, now about to fire a broadside.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:42 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I didn't want to live near chavs in the UK and I don't wish to do so here. I couldn't stand the company of lawyers in the UK and I find them worse here.

The author may have wished he thought about things a little more before preparing the article and may wish to have stated things a little different but, if people are being brutally honest, they would agree with much of how he feels.
well said again.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:44 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I reaaaaaaaaaaally disagree with that. I don't care about the social housing down the street. Neither do lots of other people, or the houses would be cheaper (he he). Not everyone thinks like you do, crazy, eh?

He made a bunch of bigoted, inaccurate assumptions about people who don't earn a lot of money. Ok, first of all. Not everyone values money. Some people value following their calling, which might be in the arts, or a church minister, or working with addicts, or the numerous other jobs that don't bring home serious coin. Saying those people bring down the 'hood or their kids are more likely to do drugs is just retarded, sorry.

Secondly, I went to boarding school full of screwed up rich kids and yeah. There were drugs. Some of the kids I went to school with were selling them to the state school kids on trips into town. IMO, the problem many poor have is the inability to pay a good lawyer/afford the legal battle.

In short, saying you can assume certain behaviours based on a certain level of income is just bollox. Sorry. Bigoted, prejudiced bollox.
i find it hysterical that its always the people who have been to 'boarding school' who have an opinion on this and its usually a tolerance of the poor.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:47 am
rae
Settled.

The thing is, we're not talking UK style housing estates. we're talking 15 townhouses build by H in H with stringent rules as to who can live there. They ahve to be earning, for starters. 15. FFS.
you are incorrect, one has been built by habitat around 5 mins walk from me, the person there has 3 kids and is studying to be a nurse, she is in full time education and was accepted. search on the archives of the st albert gazette and i'm sure you will find her, about 18mths ago.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:52 am
rae
Settled.

Yup, ditto. I know the name of their business, thanks to my Ed. peeps. If you really wanna know I can PM it to you. A boycott is being discussed.
i don't like some of your comments, i think i'll pull some strings with my contacts on the force and then have my colleagues where you live bombard you with traffic tickets.

not nice is it. whatever this guy has said, misguided or not it does not give you the right to come out with this kind of trash, if people want to boycott his store, write letters of complaint or whatever i am sure they are capable without your input.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i don't like some of your comments, i think i'll pull some strings with my contacts on the force and then have my colleagues where you live bombard you with traffic tickets.
rae, confusing legal protest with police corruption is beneath you.

Have you read the piece in question? - the guys clearly a twat.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:58 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
you are incorrect, one has been built by habitat around 5 mins walk from me, the person there has 3 kids and is studying to be a nurse, she is in full time education and was accepted. search on the archives of the st albert gazette and i'm sure you will find her, about 18mths ago.
Studying to be nurse eh? I can see why you wouldn't want her as a neighbour; what a chav.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:10 am
rae
Settled.

right. i live in st albert, its a very nice area, which means two things.

1. its got pretentious snobby tossers with money who spoil their kids, live in massive houses with boats, R.V's, dozens of cars and bikes in front of their 4 car garage and regularly talk about their house on the lake. Its also racist. There is a drug problem, an attitude problem with some kids (!) you are judged on what you have not who you are by some.

2. the schools are good, crime is low, the streets are clean, all the open areas are well kept and pleasant, the majority of people are pleasant and have a good community spirit for what they recognize is a good little town. people volunteer at sports coaching thus lowering fees for kids who can't afford it (i'm one of them). generally it feels safe, secure and a far cry from the likes of wythenshawe and benchill.

so you pays your money, lots of it...

what surprises me about the responses the letter has got on here is the total and utter hypocrisy of some people. show me pictures of your slum dwelling, show pictures of the poverty you live in, evidence to me the terrible neighborhood you live in. you won't be able to do any of these because non apply, yet you sit in pious judgement on this person.
whats worse though is he is no better, by coming out with this crap he has shown his true colours, but what he has also done is been very honest, too honest. but i tell you what, i challenge anyone on here to move to the poorest and most downtrodden area of your city, live there with the means to live elsewhere and tell me that you love it. now thats utter bollox.

but of course we are talking a few houses only, so yes its a complete over reaction, and no of course these houses don't automatically mean that people with addiction problems, criminal records etc will move in. this is a bad case of NIMBY badly put to show some real issues this guy has.

so who wants it DIRECTLY behind them then. i don't. and its got nothing to do with the people in them, its multi housing behind detached, it will lower values, its the stigma it has, it will lower values. to people who have come from nothing and all they have is a few grand in the house, when this looks like going i think we have a right to object.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:11 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Studying to be nurse eh? I can see why you wouldn't want her as a neighbour; what a chav.
where did i say i did not want her as a neighbor, thats right i didn't, thats clearly beneath you. the point was she is not in full time employment as indicated she must be, she is in full time education. nothing more.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:15 am
rae
Settled.

rae, confusing legal protest with police corruption is beneath you.

Have you read the piece in question? - the guys clearly a twat.
so finding out sneakily who he is, where he lives, what business he owns using journalistic practices thats ok is it. oh sorry gutter press of course it is. i used this as an example simply of the irony of one person having such disgust for what is in part just a letter that she is setting out to ruin him and his family, whether he is a twat or not.
and i have not confused anything so don't patronize me.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:35 am
rae
Settled.

i'll say one last thing before i have a major fall out with people i usually have no issue with (and yes i am grumpy cause utd lost)

i may have gone to task a little hard on this one, its only because i too feel privileged to live in such an area as this and simply want it to stay as nice as possible. so when i see people talking about how i live next to tramps and gypsies and absolutely love it ladebloodyla, it drives me up the wall. there, i will go away and sulk now.

oh and btw, the other site for the HFH houses is that 5 mins walk from me i mentioned earlier. its been in the plans for over a year, for those who will try to bring me to task for what I have wrote, you look to see where i have complained about this. all you will find is a general worry over a new neighbor next door and how to work out whether he was a twat or not.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by rae
so finding out sneakily who he is, where he lives, what business he owns using journalistic practices thats ok is it. oh sorry gutter press of course it is. i used this as an example simply of the irony of one person having such disgust for what is in part just a letter that she is setting out to ruin him and his family, whether he is a twat or not.
and i have not confused anything so don't patronize me.
There is absolutely nothing morally or ethically wrong with people wanting to take their business elsewhere if they don't like the views of person running the business. It's freedom of choice - it doesn't compare (even ironically) to police harassment.

You may or may not agree with kiwilass - personally I do agree with her. rae, you've always come across as a decent bloke and I'm actually quite surprised you are defending an attitude that claims 'high standard' children that are too good to have friends who have less income than them.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by rae
i'll say one last thing before i have a major fall out with people i usually have no issue with (and yes i am grumpy cause utd lost)

i may have gone to task a little hard on this one, its only because i too feel privileged to live in such an area as this and simply want it to stay as nice as possible. so when i see people talking about how i live next to tramps and gypsies and absolutely love it ladebloodyla, it drives me up the wall. there, i will go away and sulk now.

oh and btw, the other site for the HFH houses is that 5 mins walk from me i mentioned earlier. its been in the plans for over a year, for those who will try to bring me to task for what I have wrote, you look to see where i have complained about this. all you will find is a general worry over a new neighbor next door and how to work out whether he was a twat or not.
I hear you dude - and there isn't anything wrong with that. I don't have a too much of a problem with people not wanting to live near social housing and being a bit worried about the implications on where they live - I do have a problem with judgemental ass-holes which this guy clearly is.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:44 am
rae
Settled.

There is absolutely nothing morally or ethically wrong with people wanting to take their business elsewhere if they don't like the views of person running the business. It's freedom of choice - it doesn't compare (even ironically) to police harassment.

You may or may not agree with kiwilass - personally I do agree with her. rae, you've always come across as a decent bloke and I'm actually quite surprised you are defending an attitude that claims 'high standard' children that are too good to have friends who have less income than them.
i am not defending anything to that end at all, nowhere have i wrote that. i am making a point of highlighting how some can criticize this person for having his views aired in public, when they clearly hold the same in private. its more important to court popularity in here than be honest.
look at me, look at me, i agree with the clever people on here, aren't i super.

harassment is harassment, your occupation has no bearing on it. a series of damning and false journalistic articles can have much more of an effect than any traffic ticket will ever do.
if people chose to take their business elsewhere fine, thats one thing, its another whipping up a frenzy to run this guy out of town and the only reason to do so is sell papers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.