Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

someone hit Kai today

someone hit Kai today

Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default someone hit Kai today

To cut a long story short, was in the park today, Kai gave a girl an aggressive hug and the woman broke it up and slapped Kai on the face.

I remembered that there was some police nearby as there was a problem with the traffic, so they came back with me and I didn't see it but the woman was running away with the pushchair from the park.

Caught up with her, asked what I wanted to, leave it but she has a record or it could go to court. Couldn't go through with a court case so left it.

She obviously denied it said she couldn't speak English which was a lie...and then was gesturing that it was ok to hit later on to the police and politely told her to shut up. The police said that they knew she was guilty with the way she ran off and the way she acted.

A bit shaken up to be honest about it all.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:50 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: someone hit Kai today

You probably did the right thing, my wife would have knocked her head off......not the right thing. Although if you had no witnesses then your right, she probably would have denied it.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

That's awful is your little man okay? There really are some crazy people around.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Kai is fine. He is VERY tough luckily. Still just very annoyed, phoned up my husband and he thinks I should have pressed charges and now is speaking to a lawyer at work.

Just wish it never happened to be honest, couldn't believe that someone could that to a child
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:31 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry should have asked if the little fella was ok. Were there any witnesses?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

the way the police said it was that I was a witness and Kai was a victim. As the weather is cold here, the parks are very empty so one one else. If the police wasn't there I wouldn't have been able to do anything as my the battery in my phone was dead. Just don't know what to do for the best.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
Just don't know what to do for the best.
Put it down to experience and move on.

It will be your word against her's and you will be cross examined heavily about the incident. I am sure she will say that she was protecting her child from Kai's "aggressive hug" (to use your own words) and that, as she broke them up, she may have inadvertantly struck Kai. It may be rubbish but that is how she will present it and her's is a story that doesn't sound too incredible.

I doubt very much that this will be a jury trial and so you are likely to have a sole judge sitting. Unless you come across as a total upstanding member of the community and she comes across as a lying, child beater, I cannot see a conviction here.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

To cut a long story short, was in the park today, Kai gave a girl an aggressive hug and the woman broke it up and slapped Kai on the face.

I remembered that there was some police nearby as there was a problem with the traffic, so they came back with me and I didn't see it but the woman was running away with the pushchair from the park.

Caught up with her, asked what I wanted to, leave it but she has a record or it could go to court. Couldn't go through with a court case so left it.

She obviously denied it said she couldn't speak English which was a lie...and then was gesturing that it was ok to hit later on to the police and politely told her to shut up. The police said that they knew she was guilty with the way she ran off and the way she acted.

A bit shaken up to be honest about it all.

What an awful thing to happen.....he's not much more than a toddler is he...I was trying to look through....but I seem to remember him being 3 or 4?
I cannot believe a grown woman would hit a child like that. If he was being rough.....why the hell didn't she just remove her child.

When my son was little, he always played rough (still does!) he also had very little speech so got into the habbit of growling at the other kids...they would laugh and run....he would chase. This was how he communicated. The kids had no problem with this and he never hurt them, but some parent's would freak out! I lost count of how many told me he should be on Ritalin.

It will be harder for you, kids just shrug things off thankfully.

I don't think I could have been as sensible as you....I'm sure I would have swung for her!

I don't blame you for seeking legal advice, but would be cautious about paying out a fortune, for something that Kai has taken in his stride.

Good luck

Linda
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:24 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

It will be your word against her's and you will be cross examined heavily about the incident. I am sure she will say that she was protecting her child from Kai's "aggressive hug" (to use your own words) and that, as she broke them up, she may have inadvertantly struck Kai. It may be rubbish but that is how she will present it and her's is a story that doesn't sound too incredible.

I doubt very much that this will be a jury trial and so you are likely to have a sole judge sitting. Unless you come across as a total upstanding member of the community and she comes across as a lying, child beater, I cannot see a conviction here.
^^^^ What he said. One of my kids was "aggressively hugged" by an older child when she was eighteen months old. My daughter was really tiny. The kid really hurt her, she screamed for the kid to get off, I had to prize the child off my daughter while the other kid's mother looked on. The mother was really pissed when I called her on her lack of supervision and not teaching her child to keep his hands off other kids. Think how that type of argument might be presented in court......
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

I totally try my best with Kai, I am not a perfect mother but I see something underlying in some people's posts that it is my fault. Maybe I am too emotional to reply to this but it isn't easy and he has been getting better and he was supervised and he always is and he is told always to keep his hands to himself but he can't help himself, he is punished eg.time-outs, things taken away or things not happening if he doesn't behave. He only turned 3 last month, and is not some kind of devil child and he has been seen by a psychologist who says there is nothing wrong with him

So in the space of a week he was shouted at by a woman because he took a toy of his son and now he has been slapped across the face and all afternoon since coming back he has been very withdrawn, wanting to be on his own and not playing, great for his self-confidence.

If there had been another witness then I would be going to court as there isn't we won't be.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I totally try my best with Kai, I am not a perfect mother but I see something underlying in some people's posts that it is my fault. Maybe I am too emotional to reply to this but it isn't easy and he has been getting better and he was supervised and he always is and he is told always to keep his hands to himself but he can't help himself, he is punished eg.time-outs, things taken away or things not happening if he doesn't behave. He only turned 3 last month, and is not some kind of devil child and he has been seen by a psychologist who says there is nothing wrong with him

So in the space of a week he was shouted at by a woman because he took a toy of his son and now he has been slapped across the face and all afternoon since coming back he has been very withdrawn, wanting to be on his own and not playing, great for his self-confidence.

If there had been another witness then I would be going to court as there isn't we won't be.
I wasn't trying to be judgmental, so if you got that impression from me, I apologise.

I was just trying to explain to you what is likely to happen if you went to Court. As you know, there are always two sides to every story (imagine what this other woman will be saying about Kai) and that you will need to prepare yourself for what will happen in Court.

If you took offence at what I said, then don't even contemplate being a witness in this matter, cross examination will be rather more severe than what I said above, as defence counsel is likely to want to try and paint a picture that Kai was so out of control and such a danger to the other child that the woman had no option other than to try and break the scuffle up, during which, Kai was "accidently" touched. Whether that represents what actually happened is, to a large extent, irrelevant.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:00 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it is right that another person hit your child, and I dont know enough about you or your child to coment on your parenting, so dont take this the wrong way.

I do know a bit about lawyers and courts.

The other mothers lawyer could easily spin what you said in your post above to:-

In the space a few days your child stole a toy, and then attacked another child and had to be forcibly removed from that child, and that this was obviously a problem you knew about, as you were so concerned about your child behaviour that you had allready consulted with a psychologist about it.

These things are best not discussed on a board like this, especially when there is enough information scattered among your posts to reasonably identify you. Lawyers turn to google very quickly these days, and these posts will stay available for years.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I hate agreeing with lawyers, but what he said
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:59 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

No matter what your child did, no one other than you is entitled to hit him and even you, on the bum only probably. The woman who did so has some serious anger management problems herself. It isn't for us here to pass judgment on your parenting style/skills. Suffice to say it is probably best that you put the incident behind you and move on.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
I hate agreeing with lawyers, but what he said

I am no lawyer (not yet anyway) so you can feel better about yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.