Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Old May 24th 2013, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soldier beheaded broad daylight _Woolwich!

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
someone's head was cut off on a Greyhound bus in Canada. what's your point.
That was the first thing I was told when I said I was moving to Canada..... It didn't put me off.

What happened in Woolwich is awful, but the media have not exactly been helpful.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:53 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A fine hair but not a relevant one. The machete victim wasn't an innocent, he was a soldier.
Which implies the soldier chooses who he fights and who he doesn't and/or is guilty of something?

I've never been a soldier but I'd imagine it doesn't work like that. I'd suspect (wild guess) the average soldier would far prefer to live in peace and not be in battles or wars.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Which implies the soldier chooses who he fights and who he doesn't and/or is guilty of something?
It doesn't imply any of the above. The soldier signs up to fight whomsoever the government of the day wants fought. A risk of death or injury is part of the deal.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:54 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't imply any of the above. The soldier signs up to fight whomsoever the government of the day wants fought. A risk of death or injury is part of the deal.
I don't think getting decapitated in a London street is a reasonable expectation to require of a budding recruit to be honest.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think getting decapitated in a London street is a reasonable expectation to require of a budding recruit to be honest.
He wasn't a recruit, he was a soldier that had already done one tour of duty in Afghanistan.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So when the Brits and the US and NATO pull out of these countries all of this killing will suddenly stop and everybody will live in peace and harmony?
Old May 24th 2013, 7:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So when the Brits and the US and NATO pull out of these countries all of this killing will suddenly stop and everybody will live in peace and harmony?
Why are "we" there?
Old May 24th 2013, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Why are "we" there?
Isnt that question better aimed at the Government/Politicians as Im sure they will give you a straight answer thereby alleviating any suspicions as to why you think they are there.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Isnt that question better aimed at the Government/Politicians as Im sure they will give you a straight answer thereby alleviating any suspicions as to why you think they are there.
Given your previous statement you seem to hint at why foreign troops are in Afghanistan. Why not be more specific?
Old May 24th 2013, 7:30 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by Shard
He wasn't a recruit, he was a soldier that had already done one tour of duty in Afghanistan.
I was aware of that but I phrased my comments in terms of what would be reasonable to expect of a new recruit. I don't really think it matters that he has already served. I wouldn't expect to get cut to bits in the middle of London and then have it palmed off as "he's a soldier...knew what he was getting himself into".
Old May 24th 2013, 7:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was aware of that but I phrased my comments in terms of what would be reasonable to expect of a new recruit. I don't really think it matters that he has already served. I wouldn't expect to get cut to bits in the middle of London and then have it palmed off as "he's a soldier...knew what he was getting himself into".
Dead is dead, I don't see that death in London is greatly different than death in Kabul.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:33 pm
The ride never ends

Dead is dead, I don't see that death in London is greatly different than death in Kabul.
I don't think I said that it was different.

That said, given the choice between the soldier or the two nutters I'd know who I'd pick to get dispatched first.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
Given your previous statement you seem to hint at why foreign troops are in Afghanistan. Why not be more specific?
Im sure the Govt will say something like we are assisting the citizens of Afghanistan by giving them a democratic voice and rights as opposed to being under a regime and having no rights. We have helped them with their infrastructure by building schools and allowing Afghani girls to attend schools. We have given them clean drinking water and empowered women in that country to be heard.

This is what the MOD says about UK troops in Afghanistan
UK forces are deployed to Afghanistan in support of the UN-authorised, NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission and as part of the US-led Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF). Since 2003 UK operations in Afghanistan have been conducted under the name Operation Herrick.

A Guardian story said this
Yet at no time since Tony Blair sent thousands of British troops to Helmand province in 2006, have ministers or their top brass offered a coherent explanation of why they are there.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/defe...afghanistan-us

I guess it depends who you think is telling the truth.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:44 pm
The ride never ends

I guess the more pertinent question is whether it was right/useful to be there as opposed to "why"
Old May 24th 2013, 7:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I don't think I said that it was different.

That said, given the choice between the soldier or the two nutters I'd know who I'd pick to get dispatched first.
I took

I wouldn't expect to get cut to bits in the middle of London and then have it palmed off as "he's a soldier...knew what he was getting himself into".

to imply that it was different, that if he wasn't in the middle of London but in Kabul or on Hampstead Heath then it would be reasonable to say that, as a soldier, he knew what he was getting into.

Not that we should rejoice at the death of a soldier but it's not the same as the death of, say, a train driver or an asylum seeker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.