Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So what should you be entitled to?

So what should you be entitled to?

Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:24 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what should you be entitled to?

Originally Posted by iaink
Because the government, in representing the UK population, has decided to take them in on humanitarian grounds.

Its an act of charity. Some of you might have to look up that concept in the dictionary
People are not against having refugees but when they do not seem to be giving anything back to the country they chose it does start to upset people already living there.

Start off by providing a basic accommodation with running water, heat and power. Food they can obtain from 'real' charities and soup kitchens or similar. When they find a job they can then start to pay back into the system and getting more benefits in return.

Why is a person on benefits driving around in a BMW ? Give him a bus pass on benefits to get to work and interviews. Where has the money come from to originally buy the vehicle and then to tax, insurance and put fuel in that vehicle ?

Last edited by Animal; Aug 14th 2012 at 6:29 am.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:26 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Because the government, in representing the UK population, has decided to take them in on humanitarian grounds.

Its an act of charity. Some of you might have to look up that concept in the dictionary.
Charity begins at home...look after those who have tried to look after themselves..i would much prefer these benefits went to the elderly to live out their last days in relative comfort.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:30 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i would much prefer these benefits went to the elderly to live out their last days in relative comfort.
+1
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:30 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Charity begins at home...look after those who have tried to look after themselves..i would much prefer these benefits went to the elderly to live out their last days in relative comfort.
Are you saying the elderly dont get benefits, or that it's not possible to provide for both (elderly and asylum seekers)?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:32 am
I said what ?!

Originally Posted by jericho
Are you saying the elderly dont get benefits, or that it's not possible to provide for both (elderly and asylum seekers)?
When every year you read or hear about an elderly person literally freezing to death as they cannot afford to put their heating on in the house they have worked and paid for. No - I do not believe they are getting enough benefits.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:36 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal

Why is a person on benefits driving around in a BMW ?
Why jump to negative conclusion? Perhaps he bought it on gumtree for a few hundred and is hoping to fix it up and sell it for a profit, its hardly a shiney brand new one is it.

The Daily Mail is the last place to look for an unbiased opinion isnt it?

There is all sorts of charity. Some, many, of the refugees admitted have lived through unimaginable horrors, and then when they do find a safe haven they then get tarred with all the stigma that the Mail and its ilk can generate.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 14th 2012 at 6:42 am.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:41 am
I said what ?!

Why jump to negative conclusion? Perhaps he bought it on gumtree for a few hundred and is hoping to fix it up and sell it for a profit.
If I was incorrect in my observation then I apologies. Good for him for using his initative in doing so. I'd like to see the receipts and any profit made will be taxed and put back into the system and returned in benefits to all who deserve them
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:41 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So you would close the door to all refugees, fair enough. But if you are going to admit them, which the government does, then you should treat them the same as everyone else.

Of course, if the welfare loopholes and disability scams could be reigned in, then maybe there would be enough to keep the elderly poor warm and provide some fundamental safety net for refugees from elsewhere too.

I think the UKs view on asylum seekers is skewed by the fact that we have had hundreds of years of stable government with only the occasional religiously fueled bloodbath, so we dont have that "There but for the grace of god" attitude that countries with a more turbulent recent history might have. Being an island also protects us from refugees just piling over the border from a nearby war zone too.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There was a letter circulating around on the internet a while ago advising Canadian seniors and veterans to apply for Refugee status as they would receive more benefits. Not completely true but the spin doctors got involved and it became convoluted as to what an actual refugee claimant gets as they can receive benefits at both the federal and Provincial levels of Govt.
Some refugees have become successful and contributors to Canadian society others not.
Its the bogus refugees that cause the outcry and cries of racism etc.
How many Mexicans have been awarded refugee status. How about the Hungarians and a slew of other EU citizens. Why Canada you might ask yourselves when other countries are much closer and they are actually in those countries before they hop on a plane or boat.
We cannot be the saviour or solution to all of the worlds problems. How about the real refugees fleeing genocide, war etc etc. We can only take so many in and we only have so much money to dish out unless you are prepared to have your taxes raised.
How many Somali teens and young adults have been deported after arriving here as refugees because they thought crime was easier than getting a job or integrating.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:43 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Why jump to negative conclusion? Perhaps he bought it on gumtree for a few hundred and is hoping to fix it up and sell it for a profit. i bet they dont declare that profit to the tax man

The Daily Mail is the last place to look for an unbiased opinion isnt it?

There is all sorts of charity. Some, many, of the refugees admitted have lived through unimaginable horrors, and then when they do find a safe haven they then get tarred with all the stigma that the Mail and its ilk can generate.
There's no smoke without fire..just because its the mail doesn't mean the story is false
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:48 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Animal
When every year you read or hear about an elderly person literally freezing to death as they cannot afford to put their heating on in the house they have worked and paid for. No - I do not believe they are getting enough benefits.
You answered a question I didnt ask.

For my money, I would much rather pay benefits to genuine asylum seekers than spend another penny on Brits who willingly exploit the system through fraudulent disability claims, or the huge number "job seekers" who wont and dont want to work.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:49 am
I said what ?!

...maybe there would be enough to keep the elderly poor warm and provide some fundamental safety net for refugees from elsewhere too.
so what about the asylum seekers who camp out at the Red Cross centre at Sangatte, near Calais. This is understood to be used as a base for people who descend on the port every night to try to smuggle themselves into Britain ?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:52 am
I said what ?!

For my money, I would much rather pay benefits to genuine asylum seekers than spend another penny on Brits who willingly exploit the system through fraudulent disability claims, or the huge number "job seekers" who wont and dont want to work.
And I couldn't disagree with you

I'd kick the 'wont and dont want to work' out to Palenstine with this woman.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:53 am
Every day's a school day

You answered a question I didnt ask.

How many genuine Asylum Seekers are there?..those seeking genuine Asylum would pitch up in the nearest safe haven ..not travel half way round the world to reach an island off the NW coast of Europe
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:54 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

There's no smoke without fire..just because its the mail doesn't mean the story is false
And just because there are some people out there screwing the system, dont assume everyone is.

For a bunch of immigrants or wannabe immigrants I always find this kind of Daily Mail attitude more than ironic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.