Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So what should you be entitled to?

So what should you be entitled to?

Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default So what should you be entitled to?

Reading through the UK rags this morning I thought about Canadas and the UK generous treatment of refugees. Now I know most UK expats arent coming here claiming refugee status nor Canadians going to the UK doing the same.
As a newcomer what do you think you should be entitled to?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-trashed.html

I keep forgetting we now live in a world that we are entitled to certain things and there is no onus on individuals to go out and earn the nicer things or make our situation better.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:58 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what should you be entitled to?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Reading through the UK rags this morning I thought about Canadas and the UK generous treatment of refugees. Now I know most UK expats arent coming here claiming refugee status nor Canadians going to the UK doing the same.
As a newcomer what do you think you should be entitled to?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-trashed.html

I keep forgetting we now live in a world that we are entitled to certain things and there is no onus on individuals to go out and earn the nicer things or make our situation better.
In Canada the word 'eligible' is used rather than 'entitled' as in the UK. A small but significant difference.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:03 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
In Canada the word 'eligible' is used rather than 'entitled' as in the UK. A small but significant difference.
But unfortunately used in exactly the same way.

**** 'em.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I see the difference.
I am eligible to collect welfare payments only for a certain period of time
I am eliigible to go out and find a job
I am entitled to welfare payments only for a certain period of time providing I qualify and eligible.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:33 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure where you get that from. There are plenty here who think (and say) they are entitled.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:43 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

The article is more of an indictment of the Daily Mail than it is of asylum seekers/refugees.

Where to start?
No one forces landlords to accept asylum seekers. They do it because the rent is significantly higher than it is for professional tenants (laws of supply and demand. Most people dont want asylum seeker tenants, so those that do, can charge a premium).
In other words, the landlord knew the risk she was taking and was rewarded handsomely for it (including having half the cost of a refurb paid for by the council).

The headline "unemployed refugee..." Well of course she's unemployed. She's a refugee. Unless things have changed, they're not allowed to work.

Apparently the front "lawn has overgrown", and there's "furniture in the yard".
Not according to the photo there isnt.

In 2010 it emerged that a family of Somalian asylum seekers were getting £1.2m a year to live in Kensington, west London
Is there any actual evidence for this? There's just no way any family can claim 100 grand a month in benefits.

Typical Daily Mail piece and aint worth the paper it's written on.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jericho
Not sure where you get that from. There are plenty here who think (and say) they are entitled.
My kids who are now grown up thought that.
Im entitled to a driving licence err no you are eligible to apply for one.
Im entitled to a PS3 err go out and get a job and buy yourself one
Im entitled to a car after graduating err I dont think so please find me any legislative authority or a section in the Charter of Rights that says that.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jericho
The article is more of an indictment of the Daily Mail than it is of asylum seekers/refugees.

Where to start?
No one forces landlords to accept asylum seekers. They do it because the rent is significantly higher than it is for professional tenants (laws of supply and demand. Most people dont want asylum seeker tenants, so those that do, can charge a premium).
In other words, the landlord knew the risk she was taking and was rewarded handsomely for it (including having half the cost of a refurb paid for by the council).

The headline "unemployed refugee..." Well of course she's unemployed. She's a refugee. Unless things have changed, they're not allowed to work.

Apparently the front "lawn has overgrown", and there's "furniture in the yard".
Not according to the photo there isnt.

Is there any actual evidence for this? There's just no way any family can claim 100 grand a month in benefits.

Typical Daily Mail piece and aint worth the paper it's written on.
There again the well known and trusted daily rag The Sun shows it differently
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-trash-it.html

If making the claim in Canada and found eligible for Refugee status they are issued with an Open Work Permit straight away.
Note eligibility to claim refugee status is different than actually receiving it. Many are eligible but later denied it as they are found not to be credible claims hence Mr Kenneys stance lately and the proposed new Refugee Reform Bill which received Royal Assent on 28 June 2012
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/reform.asp

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Aug 14th 2012 at 4:54 am. Reason: More info.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:34 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I deserve to live in a nice house and get benefits. In this country, it is our right to live here.

She has five daughters aged five, six, eight, nine and ten, and sons aged 17 and 19. They all live at home apart from eldest son Ossama — who is in jail in Norwich for drug dealing. One son drives a BMW that he parks in a disabled bay outside the front door.

She doesn't deserve sh1t and should be kicked out and told to f*** off back to Palestine. Screwing the system for everything she can - she knows exactly what she's doing.

Clamp and crush the BMW for parking in a disabled parking place.

SEVEN kids - f*** me - get a TV or something.

And to be honest - wearing shorts like the pr1ck in the picture - he should definitely be kicked out !

Just my personal opinion obviously

Last edited by Animal; Aug 14th 2012 at 5:44 am.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:59 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

If the law and rules say they are, then they are. Whether it is right or not is another matter. If the electorate think not, they can vote to change it and/or pressure MP's to do so.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Once accepted as genuine refugees they should be entitled to the same benefits as any other resident.

Whether anyone should be entitled to sit on their arse and claim for their whole life is another thing altogether.

I still believe that the vast majority of people just want personal security and some protected mimimal income while they try and get their lives together and find a job that will pay the bills. Where people play the system the system should be made more robust and the fraudulent claimants made to work off what they owe.

If you cant find work the government should provide worthwhile training to make you a potentially productive member of society, and if you have been claiming for a long period of time there should eventually come a point where you have to do something wortwhile to earn your benefits, volunteering, community service etc. Its not healthy to just reach a point where you sit about and wait for your welfare cheque to come in. Disability benefits is another area where a lot of people seem to be taking the piss too.

Its a bit harsh to jump all over a non native english speaker for using the word "deserve" in that context, when its possible that she simply means she has the same rights as anyone else the council is housing...

Last edited by iaink; Aug 14th 2012 at 6:16 am.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:13 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

The European Convention on human rights is the only international human rights agreement providing such a high degree of individual protection.

I would say the majority of British people disagree with this law (introduced by European legislation) and the way it is written. However, as everyone is aware it will never be changed for a good number of years, if at all, no matter how many vote to change or pressure the MP's into doing so.

My belief is that British MP's are a bunch of puppets who have absolutely no backbone or spine to stand up and be counted for THEIR country and it's people.

Rather than pressure the MP's etc, slowly, gradually and unforunately the BNP and similar parties are growing in popularity.

ANY refugee that is welcomed into ANY country should lose that right and returned to the country they originated from as soon as they break their host countries law. If they want to be in a country, they follow it's rules and laws.

I'm in Canada on a PR and I expect that if I was convicted of drug dealing I would likely be deported and my PR status revoked.

Last edited by Animal; Aug 14th 2012 at 6:19 am.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:13 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Once accepted as genuine refugees they should be entitled to the same benefits as any other resident.

Why should they when they have paid nothing into the system?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

"fleeing palastine because she wouldn't get any benefits there" is how that article should read
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:21 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Why should they when they have paid nothing into the system?
Because the government, in representing the UK population, has decided to take them in on humanitarian grounds.

Its an act of charity. Some of you might have to look up that concept in the dictionary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.