Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should I just try for a random degree?

Should I just try for a random degree?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should I just try for a random degree?

As I have no clue what kind of job I actually want to have, and the ones I have a strong interest in and could see myself enjoying are not feasible due to mental health issues, I was thinking maybe it would be best to just get a random degree in something, just so I have one, which seems to be the min. more and more employers are wanting?

I am stand offish, as the cost of a degree is pricey, and the debt large, and I am not sure if there would be a financial return on one, and I'd just end up with student loans and no benefit from them.

I just made my last payment for my student loans, and now I can apply for rehabilitation with the government and potentially qualify again, so I can actually start to seriously consider school.

My hurdles are:

Not having a clue what I want to do. (My interests can really translate into a career or job that pays much above min. wage.)

Not having access to a school since there is no public colleges in this area. (but I can eventually move to Vancouver so its solvable.)

Being 35 and having to work and go to school, school for me is really hard, and I've never succeeded in working and going to school, I do well when I can concentrate on just school, but add in work, and school work suffers.

On the college assessment test I did last year, I scored high enough to get out of any English entry requirement, but my math was well, I won't go there, but it was really bad. I don't understand math, my brain doesn't click with it. I do well in normal math addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, but I really get confused with anything above basic math, it just doesn't click, and math has been what held me back in high school as well. I know I could not pass a grade 12 level math class, lucky if I could pass a grade 9 math class.

Sorry for another post, as I know I should not be so clueless at my age about these things, but I am, and I just don't always think of things that are right in front of me.

Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:20 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I just try for a random degree?

I think it would help if you had a idea of what you would like to do. What interests or hobbies do you have ?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I think it would help if you had a idea of what you would like to do. What interests or hobbies do you have ?
My main interests are travel, airline related interests, aquariums and ocean life, and rail roads.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:13 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Marine biologist?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:34 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My main interests are travel, airline related interests, aquariums and ocean life, and rail roads.
Why don't you look into becoming a flight attendant? You could get a degree in hospitality, or possibly look into college courses. (I just searched
"flight attendant college" and found this program at Seneca College - http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/TFS.html)

The schooling would probably be less intense given what you've said about your academic challenges; college courses often are more practical and hands-on, and less about the academic side, if that makes sense, which it sounds might be a better option for you.

(I don't know this for sure, I'm just guessing, but being a male in a female-dominated industry might also make it a bit easier for you to get a job with an airline. I don't know that for sure, though, just going on a logic train of thought!)
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Why don't you look into becoming a flight attendant? You could get a degree in hospitality, or possibly look into college courses. (I just searched
"flight attendant college" and found this program at Seneca College - http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/TFS.html)

The schooling would probably be less intense given what you've said about your academic challenges; college courses often are more practical and hands-on, and less about the academic side, if that makes sense, which it sounds might be a better option for you.

(I don't know this for sure, I'm just guessing, but being a male in a female-dominated industry might also make it a bit easier for you to get a job with an airline. I don't know that for sure, though, just going on a logic train of thought!)

I've thought about it before, when I was working for an airline, I came close to transferring into in flight, but went to operations instead as it paid more.. (The airline I worked for only paid flight attendants 13,500/yr but we were the lowest paid airline in the business for all positions, we succeed by having low wages.)

Air Canada Rouge is hiring, but you need a Canadian Passport and I don't yet have citizenship so they wont consider me.

Air Canada mainline not sure if they require a Canadian passport or if they just require a passport, but Rouge specifically wants Canadian passport.

I have worked in the airline business in Canada on the ramp, in Abbotsford a few years ago, worked Westjet flights but as they contract out virtually all airports, there was no future, and the pay was low, so I moved on to better paying work.

I am contemplating applying to Air Canada in Vancouver for ramp, but they don't guarantee hours, and they are vague and just say 0 to 32 a week, I could handle 32, but I could not live on less.

I really did enjoy working for an airline, and I didn't leave voluntarily, but the airline I was with struggled after 9/11, and in 2003 I ran out of seniority to keep a position, so was finally laid off.

They then went onto to merge, and merge again, so they no longer even exist, and nobody I worked with is employed with the new company as they all got outsourced or laid off along the way.

But it was hands down the the best job I had,, even with the low pay. (started at 6.04 in 1998, and ended at 8.83 in 2003.) but there was more over-time then you knew what to do with, so while I was part-time and only scheduled for 20 hours a week, I would work 50-55 hours a week to make enough to survive, but it was still fun.

I would certainly go back to an airline if I had the opportunity to.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:51 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound like it's an easy industry, but some education in the field might help you out. When would you qualify for your citizenship? The program I linked to at Seneca has all the major airlines listed as program partners, so there may be opportunities to get in with those airlines via the program, at which point they may make exceptions for not having a Canadian passport if you otherwise have right to work in Canada (what's your current status?).

Rails - could you otherwise look into being a driver for GO, Via, or CN Rail or one of those? (Not sure what education backup would be best for this area, though!)
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think a degree is too ambitious right now Jsmith - but it is something you could build up to. I'm not being negative, but realistic for you. And a random degree will be expensive and tiresome if it is not grabbing your interests strongly enough. Take a certificate first but choose something that could be put towards a diploma next.

Even part time, a certificate could be quite a few modules. Try it on for size and see how you like a distance course versus being able to find one evening a week to attend a class (personally, I prefer to go to a class). Break yourself in gently. Going to back to school and firing up all those learning brain cells can be exhilarating and challenging!

Like you, I can't do maths for anything, and it has held me back certainly - but exposure little and often can start to make a few things click. Repetition. Buy one of those study guides and then go to a college class at the lowest level available - probably Grade 9 or 10. I have a brick wall that goes up with math - I have flashbacks to sitting around the kitchen table with my dad, in tears! But at my age I have learned to concentrate on the things I am good at and use those.

You're not too old - good luck with finding something.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Accountancy.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recommend going back to school if you have any tendency to perfectionism. I went back to college and was very stressed out worrying about the homework and not being able to get things just right.

Maybe distance learning would work for you? http://www.athabascau.ca/programs/index.php

Last edited by bats; Apr 23rd 2014 at 2:30 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Maybe distance learning would work for you? http://www.athabascau.ca/programs/index.php
Is that the Canadian equivalent of the Open University? My husband plans to start an engineering degree with the OU this year but as we are moving to Canada I'm not sure if it's better to use a Canadian institution instead.

Jsmth - I agree with others, don't do a degree unless you are sure about what you want to do.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

On the college assessment test I did last year, I scored high enough to get out of any English entry requirement, but my math was well, I won't go there, but it was really bad. I don't understand math, my brain doesn't click with it. I do well in normal math addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, but I really get confused with anything above basic math, it just doesn't click, and math has been what held me back in high school as well. I know I could not pass a grade 12 level math class, lucky if I could pass a grade 9 math class.

Unless what you want to study involves math don't worry about it.

I am terrible at math...it almost feels like I have a mental block, or perhaps some sort of learning disability, when it comes to math. Despite that I have a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, a college diploma, and am four years into a Doctorate.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Is that the Canadian equivalent of the Open University?

Yes, it is.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:36 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at www.Alison.com, see if there is anything on there that interests you 1st.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Unless what you want to study involves math don't worry about it.

I am terrible at math...it almost feels like I have a mental block, or perhaps some sort of learning disability, when it comes to math. Despite that I have a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, a college diploma, and am four years into a Doctorate.
I hope you've started writing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.