Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

View Poll Results: reinstate death penalty?
yes
46.67%
i do not care
2.22%
no
51.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

Originally Posted by iaink
Millions would be spent to get to the point of not paying anything.

Your argument seems to be based on the flawed idea that the US currently sends people to death row and beyond without trying to establish guilt to a very high standard?

And still they get it wrong, and not just once in a long while.
Say you have a massacre person, and they are caught red-handed after the deed (witnesses, video, police, DNA, cell phone, etc etc) and they openly admit at the time (recorded of course, there are police cams) that they alone committed this tragedy and want to go meet Satan. Millions would not need to be spent. No need to erect obstacles were none exist.

My argument is not based on the US experience, on the contrary, your argument seems to be informed by that (for example citing lack of deterrence in US states as refutation). My argument is based on the idea that current technology and current crime evolution (school massacres, medieval style terrorism) permits/warrants a harsher solution that currently exists.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Hertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of light

The criminal standard of proof is 'Beyond Reasonable Doubt', rather than 'No Doubt'.

Returning to Kiszko, and the Irish cases, that standard had been reached and the accused sentenced accordingly. It was years later before new evidence came to light. Given advances in science, things that may seem 'proven' today, may be disputed in the future. Also, and this came to light during the Kiszko case, you can never completely dismiss the idea of police chicanery. These guys were under enormous pressure to get their man and Kiszko fitted the profile. Whatever the background, Kiszko was innocent, but would have been hanged had the death penalty been available. It's also worth considering that Kiszko's death would have ended the case, and the actual guilty party would have gone free.

In answer to another poster, the ECHR has already ruled that time spent on death row can amount to inhuman treatment (Söring v UK).
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Say you have a massacre person, and they are caught red-handed after the deed (witnesses, video, police, DNA, cell phone, etc etc) and they openly admit at the time (recorded of course, there are police cams) that they alone committed this tragedy and want to go meet Satan. Millions would not need to be spent. No need to erect obstacles were none exist.

My argument is not based on the US experience, on the contrary, your argument seems to be informed by that (for example citing lack of deterrence in US states as refutation). My argument is based on the idea that current technology and current crime evolution (school massacres, medieval style terrorism) permits/warrants a harsher solution that currently exists.
But the killers of Lee Rigby wanted just that, the ran at the police still with a gun and Machete in their hands. The police just shot to wound them in their legs, and they went to hospital and are now in jail, no chance to become the martyrs they really wanted to be.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The benefit is at very least eliminating a risk, although other benefits arise depending on the situation.

Why extend it by saying "who's next"? The category is defined, just as it is for such crimes now.
Well, if you are eliminating risks then who's next definitely is part of the picture. Why not lock up likely miscreants before they have a chance to pop anyone off

Its a slippery slope, and no matter how much you talk of only executing those who are 100% guilty and no mistake, and how this is going to save some money to fix old peoples cataracts (or whatever), you have not offered any evidence that any of this is possible in the face of an avalanche of evidence to the contrary based on the US experience of Capital Punishment.

And none of that even gets close to the central point that killing is just wrong, its wrong for killers to kill, and its just as wrong for society to kill killers.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 18th 2014 at 3:24 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwtimmon
Yeah but when you see some of the scumbags police have to deal with it's very hard not to think or treat them as subhumans. act like an animal, prepare to be treated like one.
This person isn't very clever, that person only has one leg, they're of less value to society; get rid of them.

Canada used people of "less value" for horrific medical experiments (some European countries too). I'm not at all comfortable with that measure being applied.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 18th 2014 at 3:25 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont wish to kill the mentally ill, that seems barbaric to me.

I use the US evidence because it is a society broadly analogous to our own, with judicial standards and requirement broadly similar to our own, but with the exception that some states have CP and others do not, so its possible to compare results.

Why would you ignore such evidence, other than because it does not fit in with your views?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:24 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
This person isn't very clever, that person only has one leg, they're of less value to society; get rid of them.

Yep, thats the slippery slope alright.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I dont wish to kill the mentally ill, that seems barbaric to me.

I use the US evidence because it is a society broadly analogous to our own, with judicial standards and requirement broadly similar to our own, but with the exception that some states have CP and others do not, so its possible to compare results.

Why would you ignore such evidence, other than because it does not fit in with your views?
Because my views are not based on deterrence.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:55 pm
Yo

And none of that even gets close to the central point that killing is just wrong, its wrong for killers to kill, and its just as wrong for society to kill killers.
Just wrong. Just wrong wrong wrong. Just so. Why's that?

Christian's can at least refer to their commandments, but why is it wrong for society to kill a person who wants to injure or destroy society.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Christian's can at least refer to their commandments, but why is it wrong for society to kill a person who wants to injure or destroy society.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, wrong. But, I don't trust the government and I don't trust the procedure, the wrong people will get offed.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

neither, it appears, are they based on any sort of evidence.

And you said yourself up-thread that you felt there was a deterrent effect. Despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:21 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

And is your "massacre person" rational? Sane? Able to mount a defence in a court of law in order to meet your "beyond any doubt" burden of proof? Is the doubt, always, going to be that this person is not of sound mind, and therefore not liable to criminal prosecution at all? In which case doesn't your position crumble before it's even built?

If you still think such an individual should be executed, then there's a very, very small step from there to a eugenics program. Remove all the mentally ill, they might become "massacre people." Think of all the money that would be saved on psychiatric care.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Right, they are based on cost, that seems to be your justification.

The death sentence is far more expensive than life imprisonment. That is irrefutable based on the numbers from the US, and the US is a relevent base for gathering facts for all the reasons outlined up thread about it being an analogous society with broadly similar judicial standards.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You need me to explain why taking a life is wrong? I give up.

We were talking about executing people here because they took a life, right? So it must be wrong or we wouldnt be going to the trouble of punishing anyone.

Then in your view its even more heinous to premeditate such an act and yet premeditated cold blooded life taking is exactly what you are proposing to do to those found to be guilty of the act
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:20 pm
Yo

You need me to explain why taking a life is wrong? I give up.

We were talking about executing people here because they took a life, right? So it must be wrong or we wouldnt be going to the trouble of punishing anyone.

Then in your view its even more heinous to premeditate such an act and yet premeditated cold blooded life taking is exactly what you are proposing to do to those found to be guilty of the act
Nice try.

I think it's best that we revert to agreeing to disagree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.