Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

View Poll Results: reinstate death penalty?
yes
46.67%
i do not care
2.22%
no
51.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should capital punishment be reinstated right here?

Originally Posted by Shard
- if the crime is severe and horrific enough (society decides this, although
school massacres would be a good starting point)
- and if there is zero risk of mistaken identity

The malignant human gets destroyed. Simple as that. Not all human life is of the same value to society.
You would execute someone for being mentally ill and off their meds. Great. Whose next?

Really, what is the benefit?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You dont get it do you? There is no 100% certainty. History has shown this time and time and time again.

Even where people have confessed, its been proven that they were not the perpetrators.

You appear to be advocating a legal system where available verdicts in murder trials of not guilty, guilty or really guilty.

What possible benefit do you see given that its never going to be cheaper and there is no evidence at all to show that its a deterrent?
No it's still a case of guilty or not guilty, but depending on the severity of the crime the punishment has a second tier (CP) and a second test (beyond all doubt).

I am not talking about confessions or possible confusions of justice. Why is that red herring so dear to you?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No it's still a case of guilty or not guilty, but depending on the severity of the crime the punishment has a second tier (CP) and a second test (beyond all doubt).

I am not talking about confessions or possible confusions of justice. Why is that red herring so dear to you?
So as suggested earlier a 2 tier justice system.

Your weight of evidence requirement would mean no one ever qualified, so why go to the effort

Im still waiting to hear what possible benefit you think the introduction of this madness would bring to justify the taking of a human life in my name.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You would execute someone for being mentally ill and off their meds. Great. Whose next?

Really, what is the benefit?
Well I wouldn't execute anyone, the court would decide as it does now. If the person was off their meds and killed a classroom full of children, I would hope the court would dispatch him too. But I wouldn't insist on it in the way I would someone who premeditated it. The point is that there should be an avenue to decide this.

The benefit is at very least eliminating a risk, although other benefits arise depending on the situation.

Why extend it by saying "who's next"? The category is defined, just as it is for such crimes now.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:39 pm
Yo

So as suggested earlier a 2 tier justice system.

Your weight of evidence requirement would mean no one ever qualified, so why go to the effort

Im still waiting to hear what possible benefit you think the introduction of this madness would bring to justify the taking of a human life in my name.
It's not your name I am concerned with, it's society in general. It's for the handful of sick who will benefit from some extra years of life because resources are not wasted on keeping the worst humans in prison for no purpose whatsoever.

The weight of evidence requirement would mean that very few cases would be tried in this way, and that is right. It is simply an extreme avenue for extreme crime.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Hertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of light

The problem is that particularly heinous crimes that appear to be proven beyond reasonable doubt can raise a sort of blood lust among the populace. The case of Stefan Kiszko was enough to put me off ever advocating the death penalty. He was convicted of a particularly awful crime, and had admitted his guilt. Had the death penalty been available, there is little doubt that it would have been administered, and that it would have been a very popular decision. Years later, however, Kiszko was found not to have been capable of the crime and was released from prison. Someone else is now serving time for the crime.

This and others, like the Birmingham Six, should surely mean that we will never return to the death penalty.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Well I wouldn't execute anyone, the court would decide as it does now. If the person was off their meds and killed a classroom full of children, I would hope the court would dispatch him too. But I wouldn't insist on it in the way I would someone who premeditated it. The point is that there should be an avenue to decide this.

The benefit is at very least eliminating a risk, although other benefits arise depending on the situation.

Why extend it by saying "who's next"? The category is defined, just as it is for such crimes now.
Why should there be an avenue to determine this? You are glibly talking about taking some mothers sons life, perhaps some innocent kids parent, so you had better have a damned good reason for doing it.

You dont think that someone who premeditates a school killing spree for example might not be mentally ill? Its certainly not normal thought processes in action thats for sure.

You have to answer how you think society will benefit from the one or two potential executions that might came to pass at this hypothetical extreme level of certainty, not that it seems likely that you can prove guilt to this 100% standard anyway.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:54 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Hertha
The problem is that particularly heinous crimes that appear to be proven beyond reasonable doubt can raise a sort of blood lust among the populace. The case of Stefan Kiszko was enough to put me off ever advocating the death penalty. He was convicted of a particularly awful crime, and had admitted his guilt. Had the death penalty been available, there is little doubt that it would have been administered, and that it would have been a very popular decision. Years later, however, Kiszko was found not to have been capable of the crime and was released from prison. Someone else is now serving time for the crime.

This and others, like the Birmingham Six, should surely mean that we will never return to the death penalty.
Yes "beyond reasonable doubt" is too weak a test if considering CP.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:55 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Shard;11178477]
Originally Posted by Oakvillian

I have am suggesting CP only in cases where there is zero (or to avoid the nit-pickers, arbitrarily close to zero) chance of mistaken identity. Unless of course you want to dispute the metaphysics of identity.

Again I refer you to the Guilford 4 where there was no doubt in the prosecutions mind that the people being tried were guilty. None.

How do you guard against that?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:57 pm
Yo

Why should there be an avenue to determine this? You are glibly talking about taking some mothers sons life, perhaps some innocent kids parent, so you had better have a damned good reason for doing it.

You dont think that someone who premeditates a school killing spree for example might not be mentally ill? Its certainly not normal thought processes in action thats for sure.

You have to answer how you think society will benefit from the one or two potential executions that might came to pass at this hypothetical extreme level of certainty, not that it seems likely that you can prove guilt to this 100% standard anyway.
I have answered it. Not a penny should be spent looking after that person because of the gravity of what he has done. It may be a sadness for his family (your emotional argument) but it pales into significance against the grief caused.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:58 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's not a road a civilised person should be going down.
Yeah but when you see some of the scumbags police have to deal with it's very hard not to think or treat them as subhumans. act like an animal, prepare to be treated like one.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

It's not your name I am concerned with, it's society in general. It's for the handful of sick who will benefit from some extra years of life because resources are not wasted on keeping the worst humans in prison for no purpose whatsoever.

The weight of evidence requirement would mean that very few cases would be tried in this way, and that is right. It is simply an extreme avenue for extreme crime.
Right, you keep arguing that some money will magically become available, but the death sentance, with due legal process, is demonstrably extremely expensive. You are proposing its use where only 100% absolutley guilty cross my heart and hope to die levels of guilt are proven, but it doesnt occur to you that that is going to be even more expensive to prove and even more likely to be appealed to the rafters before a sentance is carried out.

There are places where judicial executions do occur with commendable speed and economy. China, Saudi Arabia, Japan to some extent come to mind, but in all those places there are very serious human rights concerns that you dont seem to be thinking apply. Maybe you should do some research and learn some facts. Start with the Amnesty International site is my advice.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:02 pm
?

even more likely to be appealed to the rafters before a sentance is carried out.
At what point does all the time spent on death row waiting to die constitute cruel and unusual punishment?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I have answered it. Not a penny should be spent looking after that person because of the gravity of what he has done. It may be a sadness for his family (your emotional argument) but it pales into significance against the grief caused.
But millions would be spent to get to the point of not paying anything. For how many cases? Its economic nonsense.

Your argument seems to be based on the flawed idea that the US currently sends people to death row and beyond without trying to establish guilt to a very high standard?

And still they get it wrong, and not just once in a long while. And it costs far more than incarceration.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 18th 2014 at 3:06 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:03 pm
Yo

[QUOTE=jwtimmon;11178565]

Again I refer you to the Guilford 4 where there was no doubt in the prosecutions mind that the people being tried were guilty. None.

How do you guard against that?
Remind me of the evidence they used to conclude their was "no doubt / none" ?

I don't know the detail of the case but it is likely that there was some element of doubt in the case, and that it was simply proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.