Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Shipbuilding Contracts - to be Announced 19th Oct....

View Poll Results: Who is going to get a shipbuilding contract?
BC
61.54%
QC
23.08%
NS
53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Shipbuilding Contracts - to be Announced 19th Oct....

Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipbuilding Contracts - to be Announced 19th Oct....

Originally Posted by iaink
No, but there is much chuntering about "Northern Sovereignty", so presumably the bottom line is to protect the mineral rights up in the Arctic that no one in their right minds should be exploiting anyway. Bit like the tar sands oil I expect.
I actually think the Arctic sovereignty issue one that needs to be addressed, and I admit to not having looked into the details of this procurement. Do you happen to know (or link to) what fraction of this huge amount is targeted at Arctic capable shipping?

Also, I think there are many, many other more effective ways to assert sovereignty in the north other than sailing around waving the Maple Leaf.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

To the province of the Defense Secretary the lion's share of the contract.

To the province that sends a lot of Conservative MPs to Parliament the lesser contract.

To the province that gave the Tories a good kicking at the last election bugger all.

Maybe it it is just me but all the fuss they have made about it being on merit, decided by civil servants, and not politically motivated screams that it was a highly political decision.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Can I change my vote

Great news for Nova Scotia
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
To the province of the Defense Secretary the lion's share of the contract.

To the province that sends a lot of Conservative MPs to Parliament the lesser contract.

To the province that gave the Tories a good kicking at the last election bugger all.

Maybe it it is just me but all the fuss they have made about it being on merit, decided by civil servants, and not politically motivated screams that it was a highly political decision.
Yes well, no smoke without fire and all that. But do you have any information about why these contracts are a sensible thing? No one else seems to want to pick up the question.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised that QC got the shaft and by the scale of Halifax Shipyard's win. Good spin off benefits for the whole region hopefully. Shame Kiewet in Marystown withdrew!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:02 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

yay Halifax! Amazed BC got any, I was convinced Quebec would because, well, it's special
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I actually think the Arctic sovereignty issue one that needs to be addressed, and I admit to not having looked into the details of this procurement. Do you happen to know (or link to) what fraction of this huge amount is targeted at Arctic capable shipping?

Also, I think there are many, many other more effective ways to assert sovereignty in the north other than sailing around waving the Maple Leaf.
We all know these ships will just get used as payment so that harper will be allowed to nosh off the POTUS.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yes well, no smoke without fire and all that. But do you have any information about why these contracts are a sensible thing? No one else seems to want to pick up the question.
Why is it sensible? No, you've got me there.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

As far as I can tell BC seems pretty happy with what it has got. The main reason the Halifax contract is so much more is that is is for fighting ships and all the whizzes and bangs cost a lot of money. However, as someone already said above they will likely be made elsewhere.

In terms of secure, well paid jobs in the shipyards there is not all that much difference.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
So very very very happy that I was wrong yesterday! Way to go Nova Scotia!
I just noticed this thread now, but I was assuming NS would get the larger contract. 75% of the Navy is based there and they are/were a shipbuilding town. McKay being the minster of Defense and from Pictou helps too.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Although obviously I can't prove it but that was my prediction in the attached poll. Good for Halifax to be sure, but has anyone bothered to ask why we should be spending such a huge sum on military hardware in the first place?
cause we have a big country and the longest coastline in the world.
row boats and rubber dinghy's are not as effective.
we have responsibilities.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Oct 20th 2011 at 1:57 am.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:53 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
We all know these ships will just get used as payment so that harper will be allowed to nosh off the POTUS.
I fear you may be right. Which further undermines the Arctic sovereignty thingy.

After all the biggest challenge to that is the POTUS.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:54 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
cause we have a big country and the longest coastline in the world.
And this a new thing because...?

Edit: Oh yes, because climate change fueled, in part by Harper's refusal to take the issue seriously and by his insistence on making Canada a worldwide pariah with the oil-sands, is melting the ice up there and soon the US will want to send much of it's maritime commerce through there, destroying the fragile ecosystems on the way.

Solution: spend $35b on some gunboats (most of which are no help at all) and wave the Maple Leaf.

<I'm in favour though of the job creational effects of the big investments, it's just that spending the same amount on something useful would seem more rational to most>.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 20th 2011 at 2:02 am.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Troll

And this a new thing because...?

Edit: Oh yes, because climate change fueled, in part by Harper's refusal to take the issue seriously and by his insistence on making Canada a worldwide pariah with the oil-sands, is melting the ice up there and soon the US will want to send much of it's maritime commerce through there, destroying the fragile ecosystems on the way.

Solution: spend $35b on some gunboats (most of which are no help at all) and wave the Maple Leaf.

<I'm in favour though of the job creational effects of the big investments, it's just that spending the same amount on something useful would seem more rational to most>.
My understanding is that it is not new. I reckon it is plate tectonics that is to blame for the worlds longest coastline part, not Harper or Alberta.

I do agree that increased traffic along our coast is a good reason though, in addition to our existing ships growing older and becoming obsolete.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Oct 20th 2011 at 2:41 am.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:44 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
My understanding is that it is not new. I reckon it is plate tectonics that is to blame for the worlds longest coastline part, not Harper or Alberta.

I do agree that increased traffic along our coast is a good reason though, in addition to our existing ships growing older and becoming obsolete.
Wouldn't submarines be more useful? the ruskies have them, and we all know they are going to try and steal all canadas oil eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.