Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Shipbuilding Contracts - to be Announced 19th Oct....

View Poll Results: Who is going to get a shipbuilding contract?
BC
61.54%
QC
23.08%
NS
53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Shipbuilding Contracts - to be Announced 19th Oct....

Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:45 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipbuilding Contracts - to be Announced 19th Oct....

So...who will get the contracts?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...nt-mackay.html

Last edited by AmyDavid; Oct 19th 2011 at 12:49 am. Reason: forgot the link :0)
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipbuilding Contracts - to be Announced 19th Oct....

I think Seaspan in Vancouver will get the lions share as its more purpose built for the type of contract with Levi's getting the "pity pick" to keep the French Canadians happy - Nova Scotia as per normal will get the right royal shafting

Sometimes Nova Scotia needs to stand up for itself and make a bit of a fuss about things
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Oh gosh is the decision tomorrow? People are sooo hoping that Halifax gets it as it will bring business here too and it is really needed. Fingers crossed...
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:59 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
I think Seaspan in Vancouver will get the lions share as its more purpose built for the type of contract with Levi's getting the "pity pick" to keep the French Canadians happy - Nova Scotia as per normal will get the right royal shafting

Sometimes Nova Scotia needs to stand up for itself and make a bit of a fuss about things
I really hope for the future of NS that they get at least one of the contracts - but I tend to agree with your views above.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot of the "trades" guys in Nova Scotia from some of the past onshore / offshore projects and would love to see them getting something after the Nova Scotia province and Encana screwed them completely by allowing Deep Panuke to be almost 100% built in Dubai
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well...the decision will be made on the basis of Political expediency....nothing new there eh?

I would hope that the East and West coast would get them.....but that Quebec will get one of them is a 'given'...even if they could not weld two nails together....

Cynical old me.....
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:18 pm

So very very very happy that I was wrong yesterday! Way to go Nova Scotia!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:24 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Well...the decision will be made on the basis of Political expediency....nothing new there eh?

I would hope that the East and West coast would get them.....but that Quebec will get one of them is a 'given'...even if they could not weld two nails together....

Cynical old me.....
May be....seapan has been thrown around as the would be company that will get the lion share, even though the family that owns it is from Montana, and the geezer was recently votes the 48th richest person in the US by Forbes.

Look at it this way.....it doesn't matter who gets what, numerous companies stand to get their teeth on some of the wonga, thru outsourcing of some of the work either thru personnel or materials

But 25 billion dollars to the #1 company though is a lot
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:27 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably they will spread it around to some extent, rather than contract only one yard.

$25B is a lot to you or I, but in defence contracts its not that much compared to some...

Last edited by iaink; Oct 19th 2011 at 8:29 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Cynical old me.....
Seems my jaded cynicism was misplaced....and best bang for buck out distanced political expediency! East and West coasts get the builds!

Ontario and Quebec will benifit it seems from providing the 'guts' of the builds in the way of ships systems, weapons fits, engineering etc....seems everyone is a winner....

Really pleased for Halifax....great news!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:30 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Presumably they will spread it around.

$25B is a lot to you or I, but in defence contracts its not that much compared to some...

I was just talking Defence contract specifically...I mean it cost 1 million dollars to rent the Antanov for a 1 way flight to to or from Afg
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:31 pm
Banned

Seems my jaded cynicism was misplaced....and best bang for buck out distanced political expediency! East and West coasts get the builds!

Ontario and Quebec will benifit it seems from providing the 'guts' of the builds in the way of ships systems, weapons fits, engineering etc....seems everyone is a winner....

If they didn't do that, there will have been lawsuits.....tricky though of them waiting for the markets to close before announcing the news
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Although obviously I can't prove it but that was my prediction in the attached poll. Good for Halifax to be sure, but has anyone bothered to ask why we should be spending such a huge sum on military hardware in the first place?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Although obviously I can't prove it but that was my prediction in the attached poll. Good for Halifax to be sure, but has anyone bothered to ask why we should be spending such a huge sum on military hardware in the first place?
No, but there is much chuntering about "Northern Sovereignty", so presumably the bottom line is to protect the mineral rights up in the Arctic that no one in their right minds should be exploiting anyway. Bit like the tar sands oil I expect.

Remind me, who were the major corporate donors to our inglorous leaders election campaign...

No surprise that Quebec was done no favours... I read somewhere that the reform party was partly born of frustration that F18 maintenance contracts were given preferentially to quebec firms over cheaper western tenders? Hopefully the tenders for the navy were decided on merit, not politics and lobbying.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 19th 2011 at 8:40 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
No, but there is much chuntering about "Northern Sovereignty", so presumably the bottom line is to protect the mineral rights up in the Arctic that no one in their right minds should be exploiting anyway. Bit like the tar sands oil I expect.

Remind me, who were the major corporate donors to our inglorous leaders election campaign...
Ah....conspiracy theories are so not cool anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.