Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Sewing Machines and electric things

Sewing Machines and electric things

Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sewing Machines and electric things

Originally Posted by peas
OK...

I have a JUKI HZL-E50 sewing machine and this converter:
http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC100W

There. Happy now Kydney_Stone?
Nope.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaujolais
Thankyou good to hear a couple of positive posts keep posting.. anything else anyone bought with them. would love to bring my nespresso coffee machines with me.
I brought my record player, that's a turny thing. Early on there was a small problem with it going at the wrong speed but over time I adjusted to the languid pace of Canadian life.

Also, a new capstan made it run correctly.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud ofKydney_Stone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by peas
Give sewing a try... it's fun to make stuff. I sew to make kites, dracula capes and stuff.

I like this application of sewing:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SnoopCattyC...f=pr_shop_more
I like your style.

You can do those for all your pets, I'll do a few for my chickens. They'll be the talk of the town the little darlings. I do crochet too, although not for some time, not since my needles stopped working (from the UK you see).
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beaujolais
Thankyou good to hear a couple of positive posts keep posting.. anything else anyone bought with them. would love to bring my nespresso coffee machines with me.
machines? As in plural? How many electric gadgets do you have to bring over?

Don't do it beau, you'll only end up agitated and contorted with the pain of it all. Buy new.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:50 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I understand it, running a 50Hz motor at 60Hz (voltage transformers step down the voltage from 240v to 110v but do not convert the frequency from 50Hz to 60Hz):-
  1. The motor will rotate faster (20% increase)
  2. Torque will drop (so more current will be drawn under heavy loads)
  3. More speed and possibly more current=more heat=greater chance for burning out wires in the motor core
I've read some comments that if the current drawn by the motor doesn't, ever, exceed the full load rating (which might be listed somewhere on the machine) then it might be ok to run it at 60Hz. You can check the current draw at full load if you're handy with an ammeter.

Otherwise it's a gamble (although the chance of fire or explosion is probably quite low).

Last edited by Greenhill; Jun 20th 2011 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:11 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear that the torque on these things is unaffected by being in a different country.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I hear that the torque on these things is unaffected by being in a different country.
Well yes but how and where do you plug it in.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the sewing machine goes if it is a brand name one (Brother/Singer/Janome etc), you may be simply able to replace the power cord/foot pedal/controller... I brought a Brother embroidery machine and overlocker and did just that. No need for any converters and and they work just fine with the new controller/power cord (because they are both the same make, the same powercord/footpedal fits both).

The one thing I really regret leaving behind was my Horn sewing cabinet... should have brought it with me!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

beaujolais is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou- you give me hope! I just loathe the thought of leaving them and forking out for new machines when there is so much more that is going to need our hard earned money.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kydney_Stone
not since my needles stopped working (from the UK you see).
hooks. you need hooks, not needles. that'll be the problem with your crochet.

aisle 3 in the dollar store

fwiw my sewing machine (like steve's gramophone) just runs a little sloooooweeeeer. but to be honest, with my (lack of) skill, that's probably a Good Thing.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:01 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
As far as the sewing machine goes if it is a brand name one (Brother/Singer/Janome etc), you may be simply able to replace the power cord/foot pedal/controller... I brought a Brother embroidery machine and overlocker and did just that. No need for any converters and and they work just fine with the new controller/power cord (because they are both the same make, the same powercord/footpedal fits both).

The one thing I really regret leaving behind was my Horn sewing cabinet... should have brought it with me!
so, this is only slightly tongue in cheek...
I have had my singer for 30 yrs and it was an old treddle version that had had a motor added, it still works fine...any bets on that one working

or in fact my older one inherited afew yrs ago from my grandma - she got it around the 1920s from an old lady, motorised at least 40 yrs ago?

both would come with me irrespective, but was just wondering if anyone else had taken these types over

ta
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:12 pm

Here's what you can get just at Costco.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Search.a...rch&lang=en-CA

You can see what they are and what they cost and you can decide whether or not it's worth bringing yours.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:26 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Here's what you can get just at Costco.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Search.a...rch&lang=en-CA

You can see what they are and what they cost and you can decide whether or not it's worth bringing yours.
Ah, well I might get one of those as well
Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well yes but how and where do you plug it in.
Any 110 outlet should do.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by rwin
Any 110 outlet should do.
But it's English, shouldn't it be in a 240V outlet?