Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scottish people emigrating to Canada.

Scottish people emigrating to Canada.

Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish people emigrating to Canada.

Originally Posted by fletcher m
It is not. Some of the best countryside in Britain is in Scotland.

I once went to superb wedding in gourock, one of the best I have been fortunate to attend. The people are gems, the hospitality second to none. Though the pebble dash buildings, less said the better.fletch
Agreed. My sister lives in a small hamlet just outside of Stirling. Lovely countryside. <and only a short distance to Glasgow>.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Surely comparing the nasty areas of the UK with the nasty areas of Canada is missing the point a bit. It is almost like saying you shouldn't move from Glasgow to San Francisco because Buffalo is a dump. Isn't the point that for the price of a house in a nasty area in the UK you can buy a house in a nicer part of Canada? Or at least is was when there were two and a half dollars to the pound.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:37 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Surely comparing the nasty areas of the UK with the nasty areas of Canada is missing the point a bit. It is almost like saying you shouldn't move from Glasgow to San Francisco because Buffalo is a dump. Isn't the point that for the price of a house in a nasty area in the UK you can buy a house in a nicer part of Canada? Or at least is was when there were two and a half dollars to the pound.
From what i can see, you get a slightly larger house, and you have some much larger bills to pay. IMO. i suppose there will be the equivalent to Hull or Middlesborough in canada. You can buy cheaper houses in these areas, but is there any work to allow you to pay the bills?
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's fair enough. But equally, for the price in $$ and other sacrifice that moving to say Barrie from Glasgow will involve, the self-identified Glaswegian slum dwellers could move to somewhere like my sister is (she wouldn't thank me for suggesting that) and commute to Glasgow if they must.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
This is a rather informal analysis but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of Scottish people who want to emigrate to Canada. Especially from the Glasgow area. I wonder if the motivation is that Canada has a somewhat similar landscape so they feel comfortable or that Scotland is such shithole that they all just want to leave the place?

In the words of the immortal bard "Away and lie in yer pish ya numpty'

All in the best possible taste....
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
In the words of the immortal bard "Away and lie in yer pish ya numpty'

All in the best possible taste....
John Cooper Clarke?
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
I know. Anyway, slightly off topic. I was just wondering if your handle is Big Al's or Bi gals? The latter would be preferred.
Big Als sorry for the let down
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Buffalo warrants reconsideration. The Elmwood Village area is very nice and, whilst walking dogs there, one encounters entertaining old ladies with whippets. I'd sooner move to Buffalo, at least that part of Buffalo, than Barrie.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
It looks a dump and, if you can move from there to somewhere in Canada that's not a dump, that's obviously better, but Canada also has town planning and designed communities. That looks very much like the Regent Park area of Toronto, Tuxedo Court in Scarborough or Rexdale. The difference in the latter being that there are criss-cross wire fences everywhere to make it difficult to run. Granted the whole of Canada doesn't look like that so, if all of Scotland does, that explains a lot.
There are many towns in Scotland that can be classed as picturesque or desirable - outwith the financial reach of a regular working family. I'm aware of the areas you mention above and they probably are comparable.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's fair enough. But equally, for the price in $$ and other sacrifice that moving to say Barrie from Glasgow will involve, the self-identified Glaswegian slum dwellers could move to somewhere like my sister is (she wouldn't thank me for suggesting that) and commute to Glasgow if they must.
Stirling itself can be quite rough, but as you mentioned, there are many desirable towns and villages within the Stirlingshire area. If we (and many others) could afford to live there, would.

Our return to Ontario will be done with tails between our legs, so to speak. We are looking forward to it but at the same time, there's no way to deem our attempt to settle back in Scotland other than a failure.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:39 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
There are many towns in Scotland that can be classed as picturesque or desirable - outwith the financial reach of a regular working family. I'm aware of the areas you mention above and they probably are comparable.
By comparable I hope you mean the truth, i.e. the places in which a regular working family can afford to live? Especially ones who've blown their miserable life savings (if any) on moving halfway around the world to arrive in our mythical Shangri-La without a job.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
By comparable I hope you mean the truth, i.e. the places in which a regular working family can afford to live? Especially ones who've blown their miserable life savings (if any) on moving halfway around the world to arrive in our mythical Shangri-La without a job.
I was referring to them being visually comparable but you're right to bring that up. Having seen many of the Ontario housing blocks and listened to stories from the OH, who was a district nurse for a spell, it makes you wonder if they were better off where they came from.

Last edited by Tony-the-Tigger; Apr 6th 2012 at 10:14 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think Buffalo warrants reconsideration. The Elmwood Village area is very nice and, whilst walking dogs there, one encounters entertaining old ladies with whippets. I'd sooner move to Buffalo, at least that part of Buffalo, than Barrie.

+1 Buffalo vs Barrie = Buffalo everytime

(and over Glasgow as well!!)
Old Apr 7th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
This is a rather informal analysis but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of Scottish people who want to emigrate to Canada. Especially from the Glasgow area. I wonder if the motivation is that Canada has a somewhat similar landscape so they feel comfortable or that Scotland is such shithole that they all just want to leave the place?
It's not like it's anything new. Look at the Hudson's Bay and NW Companies. Run by Scotsmen. Okay, granted that quite a few went back to London afterwards, a few also stayed either in Rupert's Land, or many more in Montreal after they retired from fur trade life. The ones who stayed behind had usually married local women and couldn't bring them back and face society with a non-European wife.

Canada's been second home to the Scots since 1670...

Last edited by Japonica; Apr 7th 2012 at 2:06 am.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 1:56 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

From Trainspotting:

"It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the ****ing Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY."

Is Canada better though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.