Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scots and english voters split over EU membership

Scots and english voters split over EU membership

Old Oct 29th 2014, 11:14 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scots and english voters split over EU membership

Originally Posted by jimf
In the previous referendum to stay in the EC the yes vote in Scotland was significantly lower than in England. The SNP campaigned to leave the EC at that time, together with the Ulster Unionists and National Front. Labour sat on the fence. Moderate conservatives supported staying in the EC just as they support staying in the EU now.
It may have been lower, but they still voted yes for the EEC. In any case time moves on. Britain is so different now compared to 1975, as is the EU.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can't make my mind up if you're a troll, an imbecile, or a resident of cloud cuckoo land. (Those choices are not mutually exclusive. )

The whole thrust of the Scottish independence lobby was overtly about a lack of self governance in Scotland, so to now try to argue that people were voting for independence so they could stay in the EU makes little sense (though admittedly neither did much else said by the pro independence lobby), especially, as has been well discussed previously, leaving the UK would have put Scotland outside the EU with very little chance of being readmitted.
Well it does make sense now if the UK is moving towards leaving the EU and the YES campaign made this point very loud and clear in the referendum .Now those who voted NO are going to be feeling a wee bit screwed by Westminster,which wasnt unexpected,by me anyway.
As for being a troll,I wouldnt think so as I only make comments on certain threads and if Im an imbecile why reply to my posts
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Scotland has had an affinity with France for centuries and is generally pro-EU. In the referendum the uncertainty over continuing EU membership (were Scotland to gain independence) was seen as a risk by some of fence sitters. Scotland shares some of the social ideals of Europe and would one of the club of smaller countries within the EU, rather than an overshadowed nation with the UK. There is some rationale to Scotland preferring EU over UK (i.e. it is not "cloud cuckoo land") but it is also a subject which needs much more debate. I don't think Neil is a troll or otherwise. It's pig-headed attitudes like that which make many Scots want to be shot of the English.
Well said :goodpost
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Paul it seems as though the UK is moving towards leaving the EU and for many scots independence was a way of staying in the EU.
Nicola Sturgeon in call over EU referendum - The Scotsman
The NO voters were conned into thinking that staying with the UK meant there was no uncertainty about rejoining the EU as we were already paid up members.Now it looks like its going to backfire on them .
Personally i think that is a good thing for the UK to leave the EU, as although I think the UK should have a strong trade partnership with Europe, that should be the extent of it, the UK doesnt need Brussels' stupid rules and regulations and certainly doesnt need the single currency, which is being propped up by Germany, I wouldnt be to happy if i was a hard working German.....no surprise many of then want the Deutschmark back. Very little good has come form the UKs heavy involvement with the EU, only petty beaurocracy, rules and regulations, but all that is another argument.

I didnt realise many Scots were so pro European union, i must have been talking to the wrong Scots, but then most of these have been pro UK Scots tho.

Still doesnt seem logical that if you want your voice heard, ie a small fish in a big pond, why jump that pond and go to ocean! I admit i am biased and never been pro European, so that maybe why im missing the point here?

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Oct 30th 2014 at 4:48 am.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

STV poll: Labour would annihilated if general election held tomorrow | Scotland Decides

Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=mdizzle;11456418][url=http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/297729-stv-poll-labour-would-annihilated-if-general-election-held-tomorrow/]STV poll: Labour would annihilated if general election held tomorrow | Scotland Decides[/ur

Go SNP
Another today from The Times
Times / YouGov Scotland gen elec poll
SNP: 43% (47 seats)
Labour: 27% (10 seats)
C: 15% (1 seat)
LD: 4% (1 seat)
Certainly interesting times ahead in UK politics!
Old Oct 31st 2014, 1:20 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=neilcumming;11457440]
Originally Posted by mdizzle
[url=http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/297729-stv-poll-labour-would-annihilated-if-general-election-held-tomorrow/]STV poll: Labour would annihilated if general election held tomorrow | Scotland Decides[/ur

Go SNP
Another today from The Times
Times / YouGov Scotland gen elec poll
SNP: 43% (47 seats)
Labour: 27% (10 seats)
C: 15% (1 seat)
LD: 4% (1 seat)
Certainly interesting times ahead in UK politics!
It is interesting times. Do you follow Canadian politics at all? Seems dull (but I am in UK).
Old Nov 1st 2014, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Shard;11457846]

It is interesting times. Do you follow Canadian politics at all? Seems dull (but I am in UK).
Not much.I watched Harpers speech after the Ottawa shootings ,sounded like they were using it to up the ante on the war against ISIS even though the murderer turned out to be a mental case.Being a PR I dont get a vote in federal elections you need to be a citizen for that which hopefully I will be soon.My local MP in Winnipeg is a conservative would you believe!Spoke to him once in at a supermarket he pretty much ignored all I had to say.Yes canadian politics is dull you just have to look at Stephen Harper,reminds me of the grey man,John Major!The only interesting person is the mayor of Toronto the crack smoking Rob Ford!

Last edited by neilcumming; Nov 1st 2014 at 4:27 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It really is complete garbage. The only part of jimf's post I agree with is regarding Lamont. Although in saying that, she still managed to look better than the previous incumbent (which says more about Gray than it does her).

It does, however, give an insight to the poster "jimf" that he actually thinks that complete dross was worth posting. Actually cringing for him.
A typical Salmondesque dismissal. Self awareness and capability for rational reflection is not a common SNP attribute though.

From the typical content of your posts you should be something of an expert on cringing. Feel free to cringe on my behalf, however misplaced, if it makes you feel better.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jimf
A typical Salmondesque dismissal. Self awareness and capability for rational reflection is not a common SNP attribute though.

From the typical content of your posts you should be something of an expert on cringing. Feel free to cringe on my behalf, however misplaced, if it makes you feel better.

You posted a terrible article, I pointed that fact out, and to be honest, I can't really be bothered with any more of your tear-stained mewling. I don't think anybody capable of rational thought would sit there as you did thinking 'hmmm yes this is a good article, better post this immediately'.

Your anti-Scottish agenda is the only cringeworthy thing here, champ. Did Alex Salmond shag your wife or something?
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

You posted a terrible article, I pointed that fact out, and to be honest, I can't really be bothered with any more of your tear-stained mewling. I don't think anybody capable of rational thought would sit there as you did thinking 'hmmm yes this is a good article, better post this immediately'.

Your anti-Scottish agenda is the only cringeworthy thing here, champ. Did Alex Salmond shag your wife or something?
Whether the article is terrible or not is a matter of opinion. That you believe your opinion to be fact is revealing though.

Dismissing anyone who doesn't applaud the SNP narrative as anti-Scottish is another Salmondesque approach.

Do you do that little half-chortle when you think you've said something clever also?

Will Nicola Sturgeon turn out to be as annoying as Alex Salmond was? - Telegraph
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

No matter if you love or hate Salmond you cannot ignore the success of the SNP in the 20yrs that he has been leader of the party.As for Sturgeon I think she will be just as successful as Salmond if not more.
*The idea of a Scottish veto is so obviously a non-starter that her proposal can only be grandstanding designed to impress the tens of thousands of Scottish Leftie radical types who have joined the SNP since the referendum, in pursuit of a perpetual punch-up with London*The Torygraph.
I dont think its a non starter ,try telling that to the people who voted to stay in the UK believing their EU membership would be guarenteed!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:51 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

No matter if you love or hate Salmond you cannot ignore the success of the SNP in the 20yrs that he has been leader of the party.As for Sturgeon I think she will be just as successful as Salmond if not more.
*The idea of a Scottish veto is so obviously a non-starter that her proposal can only be grandstanding designed to impress the tens of thousands of Scottish Leftie radical types who have joined the SNP since the referendum, in pursuit of a perpetual punch-up with London*The Torygraph.
I dont think its a non starter ,try telling that to the people who voted to stay in the UK believing their EU membership would be guarenteed!
Which bit of "the UK is not a Federal state" is difficult to understand? Of course her batty idea is a non-starter. There is no mechanism under which it can be anything else. It is exactly, precisely, and calculatedly, a grandstanding manouevre designed to pander to her political base, with no chance whatsoever of actually taking place.

Would you care to explain how a Scottish (or Welsh, or Northern Irish, or any other) veto could be implemented? In case you hadn't noticed, the population of Scotland voted convincingly to stay in the United Kingdom. Decisions that affect the whole of the United Kingdom are taken by the government of the United Kingdom, taking into account the views of all of the population of the United Kingdom.

For what it's worth, I hope that the anti-EU lot get as royally shafted in a referendum as the Scot Nats were. But if they run a successful campaign and the referendum (which we should remember only takes place if Cameron gets back into Number 10 next year, and even then own't happen until 2017) goes the way of leaving the EU, then that decision will affect all of the UK. Including Scotland.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:01 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and another thing... I think you misunderstand how politics works. Let me try and help you. The first bit is easy. You say "try telling that to the people..." so here goes:

"Listen, people who voted to stay in the UK believing your EU membership was guaranteed: that wasn't the referendum question. You should learn to read more carefully what is written on the ballot. Sturgeon's harebrained scheme is a non-starter."

There, that wasn't hard, was it?

On a more serious note, there's a genuine point in here. The Independence vote did not ask about EU membership - the question was a very straightforward one about Scots' desire to be and independent nation. As it happens, voting "yes" to that would have guaranteed an exit from the EU, since there is not a mechanism for maintaining membership without the financial bits & pieces in place (central bank, debt ratios etc) that Salmond was frequently pressed on and could never satisfactorily answer. Voting "no" at least gives Scotland a chance at continued EU membership.

If Scotland want to remain within the EU, now that it's chosen to remain within the UK, the only sensible course of action is to campaign (with better answers and greater debating skills than the pro-independence lobby exhibited) for any future referendum to be a resounding vote for "in." No other posturing, hypothetical veto, nonsense policy position will do anything. Convince the voting public to vote the way you want, and accept the consequences if your arguments are't sufficiently convincing.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

What you really meant to say was,"listen ,people who voted to stay in the UK belieiving your EU membership was guaranteed,bend over ,you are now about to be screwed".
Yes the independence vote didnt ask about the EU but it was a big decision maker for the dont knows.
Scotland has absoulelty no chance of influlencing any future referendum on the EU,it will just have to follow how the vote goes in England.
As for a veto ? Nothing is written in stone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.