Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scots and english voters split over EU membership

Wikiposts

Scots and english voters split over EU membership

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:36 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scots and english voters split over EU membership

Originally Posted by neilcumming
What you really meant to say was,"listen ,people who voted to stay in the UK belieiving your EU membership was guaranteed,bend over ,you are now about to be screwed".
Yes the independence vote didnt ask about the EU but it was a big decision maker for the dont knows.
Scotland has absoulelty no chance of influlencing any future referendum on the EU,it will just have to follow how the vote goes in England.
As for a veto ? Nothing is written in stone!
There is no mechanism for a veto. It does seem to be a case of the SNP planting false seeds of expectation. However, in the event of a No EU vote, if the Scottish voting data showed a strong majority (could be 66%, 75%) wanted to stay in the EU, that would be a good reason for a further independence referendum.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:37 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
What you really meant to say was,"listen ,people who voted to stay in the UK belieiving your EU membership was guaranteed,bend over ,you are now about to be screwed".
Yes the independence vote didnt ask about the EU but it was a big decision maker for the dont knows.
Scotland has absoulelty no chance of influlencing any future referendum on the EU,it will just have to follow how the vote goes in England.
As for a veto ? Nothing is written in stone!
Do you wander round all day with your fingers in your ears singing "la la la la I'm not listening" like a tuneless 4-year-old?

The Scottish independence referendum did not address the question of EU membership. That was a "guarantee" floated by Salmond and shot down by everybody with a rational thought in their head. Anybody who believed such nonsense frankly deserves all the shafting available. Again, Scotland has taken the path that leaves open the possibility of continued EU membership. The only certainty seems to have been that EU membership would have terminated on independence if there was no central bank, no fiscal policy, no institution to manage and control sovereign debt. Voting No has avoided that calamitous eventuality.

The population of Scotland influences the outcome of a UK-wide referendum in exactly the same ratio as any other population: one voter, one vote. That is, surprisingly enough, how referendums work.

THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY OF A VETO. THE UK IS NOT A FEDERAL ENTITY.

Do any of these words have too many syllables for you to understand?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:38 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
There is no mechanism for a veto. It does seem to be a case of the SNP planting false seeds of expectation. However, in the event of a No EU vote, if the Scottish voting data showed a strong majority (could be 66%, 75%) wanted to stay in the EU, that would be a good reason for a further independence referendum.
Why? Political independence without fiscal independence would be an absolutely sure-fire way of having one's country ejected from the EU, I'd have thought. Your thought process seems to me to be "we want to stay in the EU. Let's follow a course that will get us thrown out very quickly."
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:47 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Why? Political independence without fiscal independence would be an absolutely sure-fire way of having one's country ejected from the EU, I'd have thought. Your thought process seems to me to be "we want to stay in the EU. Let's follow a course that will get us thrown out very quickly."
Fiscal arrangements would be something to be considered at the time. The context would be stay with an independent UK (BOE) join the EU (ECB) or "become Iceland". One of the great failings of this year's referendum was Salmond's refusal to engage on fiscal and monetary issues. And I think hindsight shows that he cooked his own goose, as that gave Westminster the chance to present a credible negative scenario which many of the conservative older voters bought into.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

In early 2013 Cameroon announced the intention to hold a referendum on EU membership in the next parliament. Polling in 2013 generally showed a majority in the UK in favour of the UK leaving the EU. In 2014 the polling generally showed a majority favouring staying but there have been a couple recently showing a majority favouring leaving.

It does seem very unlikely there there ever would be a referendum and even if there was even more unlikely there would be a majority vote to leave the EU. Big business favours staying in the EU and it would be project fear hundred fold for a no vote.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Do you wander round all day with your fingers in your ears singing "la la la la I'm not listening" like a tuneless 4-year-old?

The Scottish independence referendum did not address the question of EU membership. That was a "guarantee" floated by Salmond and shot down by everybody with a rational thought in their head. Anybody who believed such nonsense frankly deserves all the shafting available. Again, Scotland has taken the path that leaves open the possibility of continued EU membership. The only certainty seems to have been that EU membership would have terminated on independence if there was no central bank, no fiscal policy, no institution to manage and control sovereign debt. Voting No has avoided that calamitous eventuality.

The population of Scotland influences the outcome of a UK-wide referendum in exactly the same ratio as any other population: one voter, one vote. That is, surprisingly enough, how referendums work.

THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY OF A VETO. THE UK IS NOT A FEDERAL ENTITY.

Do any of these words have too many syllables for you to understand?
No I dont wander around with my fingers in my ears etc and I dont insult people, that would be childish of me.
You come across to me as very patronising and as if I should believe everything you say is the truth and I should just except it.Sorry but that is not going to happen!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:44 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by jimf
In early 2013 Cameroon announced the intention to hold a referendum on EU membership in the next parliament. Polling in 2013 generally showed a majority in the UK in favour of the UK leaving the EU. In 2014 the polling generally showed a majority favouring staying but there have been a couple recently showing a majority favouring leaving.

It does seem very unlikely there there ever would be a referendum and even if there was even more unlikely there would be a majority vote to leave the EU. Big business favours staying in the EU and it would be project fear hundred fold for a no vote.
Are you suggesting that if Cameroon get's re-elected, an EU referendum remains unlikely?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:39 am
Magnificently Withering

In early 2013 Cameroon announced the intention to hold a referendum on EU membership
Apparently I'm childish, so I hope that makes it OK for me to find this funny. EU expansion into West Africa would be a radical step: almost worth it for the apoplectic fit Nigel Farage would have...
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Are you suggesting that if Cameroon get's re-elected, an EU referendum remains unlikely?
He will do what he can to avoid a referendum on EU membership. Big business and the Westminster elite don't want a referendum and want UK to stay in the EU.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:16 am
me/moi

He will do what he can to avoid a referendum on EU membership. Big business and the Westminster elite don't want a referendum and want UK to stay in the EU.
It's true on big business and Westminster, but Dave and the whole party are making such a song and dance about providing a referendum, I don't see how they can possibly back out. It would be more damning that the Lib Dems university tuition U-turn.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Apparently I'm childish, so I hope that makes it OK for me to find this funny. EU expansion into West Africa would be a radical step: almost worth it for the apoplectic fit Nigel Farage would have...
Ah yes well spotted.

The conceit now is that every no vote was actually really a yes vote but was a mistaken vote due to some sort of intrigue.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

It's true on big business and Westminster, but Dave and the whole party are making such a song and dance about providing a referendum, I don't see how they can possibly back out. It would be more damning that the Lib Dems university tuition U-turn.
He will obtain a peace in our time type piece of paper to claim a successful renegotiation. Germany will help out when it comes to it. After all why would Germany permit their third biggest export market to leave?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Whether the article is terrible or not is a matter of opinion. That you believe your opinion to be fact is revealing though.

Dismissing anyone who doesn't applaud the SNP narrative as anti-Scottish is another Salmondesque approach.

Do you do that little half-chortle when you think you've said something clever also?
Well no, I'm afraid you can't hide behind "WELL IT'S JUST MY OPINION!!!!!" on this one, champ. You see, there are basic objective standards which an article should reach, such as the author having the ability to substantiate any statements or arguments which he makes. In the case of the article you posted, he makes a long line of completely ignorant and incorrect statements in pursuit of a particular agenda - the attempt to draw similarities between UKIP and the SNP (of which there are very few, if any, as they are vastly different parties). The reason for this is clearly a feeble attempt to denigrate the SNP.

Perhaps the only real similarity between the two parties is that they both practise grassroots campaigning at times. So, a fairly pointless article then, eh? Which is what I pointed out a few pages back. Shard summed it up pretty neatly as well, just after you posted the article.

The author makes it clear he has no clue regarding the political dynamic in Scotland when he states that the SNP are "on the cusp of success" . The SNP have been in power in Scotland for 7 years (in one term elected with a majority which was supposedly extremely difficult to achieve), hold the most council seats, won the most seats in Scotland in the recent EU elections, and in all likelihood will gain huge increases in the number of MPs they have next GE. It's just not comparable to UKIP's very recent meagre improvements.

Now, please gather up all your fail and kindly leave the thread with your tail firmly between your legs. There's a good boy.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

If you were joking with me I dont mind but it didnt sound like humour to me.
Now the Welsh are not happy:
Need for four-nation approval "worth considering" | Scottish National Party
I know its from the SNP website but couldnt find any other source on internet.