Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Russia to Host 2018 Football World Cup

Russia to Host 2018 Football World Cup

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia to Host 2018 Football World Cup

Originally Posted by removalizer
Imagine Motty commentating on a match with Qatar on the attack

Mohammed passes to Mohammed, Mohammed crosses to Mohammed, Mohammed shoots hits the posts Mohammed hits the deflection and scores
Being a bit nerdy, I went and had a look at their squad and only 2 of 21 are Mohammed, I was expecting a bunch of Brazillian names, as I have heard rumors of fast track passports for those with the right skill set.
but, after a quick look only Sebastián Soria (Uruguay) seems to be the only South American with caps
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by removalizer
Imagine Motty commentating on a match with Qatar on the attack

Mohammed passes to Mohammed, Mohammed crosses to Mohammed, Mohammed shoots hits the posts Mohammed hits the deflection and scores
Cant imagine Motty coming out of retirement for it, but Qatar would be no different to Iran, Egypt, Morocco, Saudi Arabia or any of the other predominantly muslim nations who have competed in the world cup before
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean

.....makes it even stranger then with regard to the voting for 2022 which saw Australia (The only continent never to host it) obtain only 1 vote out of 22 (Their own)......a country which has a major sporting background....has realistic temperatures in June and July...
I really felt for the Australians. They also have some good stadiums already so wouldn't have to break the bank too much to build new ones.

I don't know why England don't get togethar with some other nations and say get lost FIFA we are forming a new world body. I mean really other than draconian laws, fixture arranging and dodgy executive committee what is FIFA's role in the modern game and how wide reaching is it?

A body filled with a European, North American and Australasian Executive committee with better corporate governance would be selfishly in our favour but who cares if we have a better chance of staging the event and we do not send the World Cup to far flung places who have invest millions and millions.

FIFA without the support of major western nations would be done.

Let's finish their pointless monopoly.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I really felt for the Australians. They also have some good stadiums already so wouldn't have to break the bank too much to build new ones.

I don't know why England don't get togethar with some other nations and say get lost FIFA we are forming a new world body. I mean really other than draconian laws, fixture arranging and dodgy executive committee what is FIFA's role in the modern game and how wide reaching is it?

A body filled with a European, North American and Australasian Executive committee with better corporate governance would be selfishly in our favour but who cares if we have a better chance of staging the event and we do not send the World Cup to far flung places who have invest millions and millions.

It would end up like boxing with four world champions and a unifying match every twenty years.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It would end up like boxing with four world champions and a unifying match every twenty years.
It's a fair point. We would have more chance of winning too though- both staging and the competition. And with more TV and sponsorship money involved it would be the most highly regarded event. Just have to keep China and India involved as they develop.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:47 pm
He/him

It's a fair point. We would have more chance of winning too though- both staging and the competition. And with more TV and sponsorship money involved it would be the most highly regarded event. Just have to keep China and India involved as they develop.
You've just won me over.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

We should just invite Brazil and Argentina to the European championships as they're the only other non European countries that have a realistic chance of winning, and be done with FIFA.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

We would have more chance of winning too though- both staging and the competition. .
A "world cup" without half the world there would be a lot like the "World Series" in baseball, and you know how we europeans love to beat up the americans about that.

No, fix Fifa from within. We cant be the only people fed up with the corruption and incompetence can we?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:56 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Oink
We should just invite Brazil and Argentina to the European championships as they're the only other non European countries that have a realistic chance of winning, and be done with FIFA.
This of course does have precedents.
Khazakhstan and Israel compete in UEFA (The Aussies ar now asians too)
and South America regularly invites Mexico and USA to compete in the South American championship.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This of course does have precedents.
Khazakhstan and Israel compete in UEFA (The Aussies ar now asians too)
and South America regularly invites Mexico and USA to compete in the South American championship.
Bring it on then. Lets see Blatter try and drum up interest/sponsorship when they stage it in Paupa New Guinea without any of the big teams participating.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:03 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
Bring it on then. Lets see Blatter try and drum up interest/sponsorship when they stage it in Paupa New Guinea without any of the big teams participating.

I would relish a holiday in PNG more than Qatar to be honest.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:04 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by iaink
A "world cup" without half the world there would be a lot like the "World Series" in baseball, and you know how we europeans love to beat up the americans about that.

No, fix Fifa from within. We cant be the only people fed up with the corruption and incompetence can we?
Does not have to be called a world cup, as long as the best teams are taking part. There are no problems in the winners of the Champions League in being viewed as the best club team in the world, as the best teams are all european (this was not the case a couple of deades ago, but is now) No need for FIFA's joke club world cup tournemant.

(I am surprised how quickly I have been won around to this idea)
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I think Australia and USA were the wrong end of an even bigger stitch up than England. Its one thing to loose out to Russia which has a respectable football track record even if it is run by the mafia, but to loose to Qatar beggers belief. In 12 years time Iran will no doubt have nuclear weapons and will be in a position to do some muscle flexing around little Qatar.

If there is a group of countries that feel strongly enough its quite possible that another body could be formed to host another tournament. Time to step forward England FA with all your millions. Host an invitation international tournament with huge prize money and see whos interested.

FWIW I will not be buying any FIFA branded junk ever again.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

In September, Telegraph Sport revealed that Makudi was part of a vote-trading alliance between Spain-Portugal and Qatar that he was highly unlikely to abandon.

Last month he telephoned Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards, who is also chair of the Club England board, to ask if the game would be honoured even if he did not vote for England.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...id-defeat.html
Old Dec 4th 2010, 4:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...purs-fifa-2018
"Listen, we all know what's probably gone on. We can't probably say, can we really? It was amazing that suddenly two such wealthy countries have ended up with the World Cup there. Don't tell me that we haven't got a better product to offer than Russia in terms of football in this country."

"It's like going on X Factor, coming on, doing what you do. You're either good or you're not good. It's not a case then you go back, meet up with the judges for a couple of days and have a chat and say, 'You should be voting for me, really. I'm a sexy bird, I'll get my gear off for you'.

Harry Rednapp, God love him. Make him the next England manager
Harry Rednapp? Complaining about dodgy deals in football?

Ha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.