Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Russia to Host 2018 Football World Cup

Russia to Host 2018 Football World Cup

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia to Host 2018 Football World Cup

Hmm, its just coincidence that the two winning bidders had the highest budgets, but the lowest technical assessment ratings.

Any auditers out there to see where all that money went
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Modern Russia is virtually a state-sponsored mafia organisation. I'm pretty sure that it was bribery and corruption that won them their vote. Look at the dark allegations surrounding the Sochi Olympics preparations... FIFA know damn well what they're getting into bed with with the Russian bid, but as long as they're getting handsomely rewarded...

Qatar is a strange one. Again, it's no coincidence that Qatar is absolutely awash with cash. Logistically, it makes no sense. It's like giving the World Cup to Inverness.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Modern Russia is virtually a state-sponsored mafia organisation. I'm pretty sure that it was bribery and corruption that won them their vote.
I'm sure that Jack Warner has got his hand out ready for a kick back already.

I looked up the average temps for Qatar and in June they are 41 and 46 centigrade....hmm, not the kind of weather I would want for a game of footie.

Iain K's statement that the ones with the biggest budget and the lowest technical ratings being the winners is rather telling..if that is the case England didn't have a hope in hell of getting the World Cup.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

But will we have forgiven and forgotten by the time those finals actually happen? Will anyone here not be watching due to the dubious birthing process?

I hate to say it, but Im finding big business sport less and less interesting to watch. Formula One? Formula Yawn more like. EPL? Money has changed it beyond recognision. Champions League? remind me, which of the teams competing are the champions? 4th place is OK now, as long as you are from a big money league.

Then again why should FIFA care; the advertising bods who fund all this nonsense dont much care for anyone outside the 18-35 male demographic anyway do they?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

England beat Argentina in an air conditioned stadium in 2002. So that could work. But what about team bases? Not really feasible to provide air conditioned training facilities for 32 countries is it? Could even be more by then.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:04 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hmm, its just coincidence that the two winning bidders had the highest budgets, but the lowest technical assessment ratings.

Any auditers out there to see where all that money went

Not even including all the soviet cash the has funded Chelsky and the rest of the EPL, including my own team, funded from the east, by Belekov, (yeh, the mighty Blackpool)
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

One bizarre thing to come from this is that some words that made total sense fell from David Mellors frothing mouth...

" I can't help feeling it would be a better role for England to actually be insisting on the reform of Fifa, making Fifa transparent, making Fifa accountable instead of kowtowing to Fifa in order to get the World Cup finals."
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the comments by Graham Taylor were quite apt:

Taylor, speaking to Radio Five Live, said: "I ask the question 'what were we expecting?'. FIFA, for me, is full of people who say 'yes' to your face and 'no' behind your back. Their reputation has not changed for many years.

"We (England) have little or no influence; we are considered to be arrogant and know-alls and FIFA don't have to answer to anyone.

"I'm surprised that we're surprised. This has been going on for years and we've been aware of a lot of things going on around the back."

British media investigations into FIFA practices and the conduct of influential members have been cited as one of the reasons England fared so badly in the voting, but Taylor believes they could yet come into their own.

"I have a feeling, perhaps, that it might be time...that they really need looking into and investigating and our journalists are very good at that.

"How long has this been going on? How long have been questions been asked of FIFA and when have they answered them?

"You don't want take away from Russia or Qatar but it may be that this is the trigger for it to get looked into."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...r-2149587.html
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...purs-fifa-2018
"Listen, we all know what's probably gone on. We can't probably say, can we really? It was amazing that suddenly two such wealthy countries have ended up with the World Cup there. Don't tell me that we haven't got a better product to offer than Russia in terms of football in this country."

"It's like going on X Factor, coming on, doing what you do. You're either good or you're not good. It's not a case then you go back, meet up with the judges for a couple of days and have a chat and say, 'You should be voting for me, really. I'm a sexy bird, I'll get my gear off for you'.

Harry Rednapp, God love him. Make him the next England manager

It would be kind of fun if this obvious miscarriage of justice unleashed the full investigative wrath of the UK press upon Fifa. I agree with David Mellors position, England should take the lead in cleaning up Fifa. There must be enough other members not in the gilded 22 that would willing to work in that direction too.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 3rd 2010 at 3:50 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:04 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

FIFA have espoused the fact that they wish to push Football into different places around the world......to spread the gospel according to Platini and Blatter

.....makes it even stranger then with regard to the voting for 2022 which saw Australia (The only continent never to host it) obtain only 1 vote out of 22 (Their own)......a country which has a major sporting background....has realistic temperatures in June and July...

..I am less disappointed with the success of the Russia bid which was probably overdue and was the only serious bid out of the UEFA bids which didn't have within it a country which has hosted before.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jimmydean
FIFA have espoused the fact that they wish to push Football into different places around the world......to spread the gospel according to Platini and Blatter

.....makes it even stranger then with regard to the voting for 2022 which saw Australia (The only continent never to host it) obtain only 1 vote out of 22 (Their own)......a country which has a major sporting background....has realistic temperatures in June and July...

..I am less disappointed with the success of the Russia bid which was probably overdue and was the only serious bid out of the UEFA bids which didn't have within it a country which has hosted before.
Could they not have said something up front and saved the FA a few quid to pay off Wembley or god forbid invest in grass roots footy?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:24 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Could they not have said something up front and saved the FA a few quid to pay off Wembley or god forbid invest in grass roots footy?
Totally agree........if they are not really bothered about high temps...infrastructure...stadia......time zones...football heritage why don't they just be up front and advertise a bidding war......the country who pay the biggest back handers wins the right to host.......

..........the promises and back handers that must have been in place to get Germany's second world cup in 32 years in 2006 must have been massive......
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It would be kind of fun if this obvious miscarriage of justice unleashed the full investigative wrath of the UK press upon Fifa.
Unfortunately there isn't any sex involved so it won't happen.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

removalizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Imagine Motty commentating on a match with Qatar on the attack

Mohammed passes to Mohammed, Mohammed crosses to Mohammed, Mohammed shoots hits the posts Mohammed hits the deflection and scores
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:08 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by removalizer
Imagine Motty commentating on a match with Qatar on the attack

Mohammed passes to Mohammed, Mohammed crosses to Mohammed, Mohammed shoots hits the posts Mohammed hits the deflection and scores
You think that Qatar are going to score in the world cup!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.