Rob Ford Again

Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rob Ford Again

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Puts lawyer's hat on: There is no such thing as a stupid answer; only a stupid question.

I have to admit I don't see the issue with smoking crack. A very clever University professor was on CNN the other day and stated that, in essence, it was no more harmful that pot.

Will no one from the right wing side of the fence go up against him?

Do we expect politicians to be role models, I thought that was the domain of sport, pop stars and movie stars? From that perspective, he seems to fit the mould

Not sure why you don't see an issue with a public official smoking crack while in office? There's a fine line between smoking it and possessing it, and presumably if police were there at the time he could be criminally charged?

Irregardless () a mayor smoking a narcotic, particularly a dangerous one, sends out a conflicting signal to citizens on whether it is right to respect the law on this.

Civic leaders are not necessarily role models in the way that sports or entertainment people seem to be, nevertheless when they behave badly they become negative models and no longer deserve a public platform.

A university professor or other luminary may well advocate the use the drugs, and they may well have a point, but they are not charged with any power to impose rules on the general public and therefore not subject to the same moral test.

Perhaps the role model issue is of less importance than honesty etc (as IainK suggests) but I disagree that it's an irrelevance.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:59 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not bothered, personally, that he smoked crack. If anything his continuing popularity is yet more evidence the 'war against drugs' has failed.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
There's a fine line between smoking it and possessing it....
What does this statement mean?
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
What I meant was that by the virtue of the fact that you're smoking a drug, you are in possession of it. In my view, anyway. Not sure how the cops view it.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its not really about role models or crack use, its about his honesty and trusting his judgment to do the right thing as CEO of a city with a $10Bn budget and 5M people. The crack thing is the latest in a long list of dubious acts by the citys elected leader.

I wouldnt trust him to baby sit a 10 year old, never mind run a city.

As you may have figured out I dont have much regard for most politicians, but I will judge them based on their ability to deliver on the promises that got them elected, and whether they behave in an upfront, ethical way. If they can do those two things then you cant really argue with democracy in action even if you disagree with the actions themselves. But any way you look at it Rob Ford gets a failing grade.
Do you think it likely that anyone with even a single ethical bone in their body would succeed in politics? Excepting Saint Nenshi of course.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Single issue... Lower taxes.

I suspect his goose is probably cooked now and that another conservative candidate will emerge.

As mayors go hes terrible, hes divisive, hes hardly delivered anything he promised, he has if anything lowered the level of council ethics, hes constantly bluring lines between personal and mayoral business and his priorities have at times been somewhat questionable like leaving council sessions to go coach high school football. Its hard to put a lot of faith and trust in the judgment of a guy who smoked crack while allegedly pissed to the gills, lied about it and then berated journalists for not asking the right questions.

He'll probably be in the Federal Cabinet or better yet the Senate by the time hes finished.
Another candidate. Doug Ford. Mark my words.

Also, has anyone else commented how all this is deflecting the news from Teflon Harper?
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

Also, has anyone else commented how all this is deflecting the news from Teflon Harper?
That would've been JonboyE, although he did suggest that his tin-hat was cramping his brain.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Fine line between smoking and possessing? Nothing. Smoking what? You can't run a chemical test on a piece of digital video.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you don't see an issue with a public official smoking crack while in office? There's a fine line between smoking it and possessing it, and presumably if police were there at the time he could be criminally charged?

Irregardless () a mayor smoking a narcotic, particularly a dangerous one, sends out a conflicting signal to citizens on whether it is right to respect the law on this.

Civic leaders are not necessarily role models in the way that sports or entertainment people seem to be, nevertheless when they behave badly they become negative models and no longer deserve a public platform.

A university professor or other luminary may well advocate the use the drugs, and they may well have a point, but they are not charged with any power to impose rules on the general public and therefore not subject to the same moral test.

Perhaps the role model issue is of less importance than honesty etc (as IainK suggests) but I disagree that it's an irrelevance.
What's the difference between crack, alcohol, pot and a cigarette?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Nov 6th 2013 at 12:39 am.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

You mean the news of Harper kicking the butts of a few Senators - what most Canadians would like to do to them when they read about their expense claims.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:31 pm
Yo

What tbe difference between crack, alcohol, pot and a cigarette?
Crack and pot are illegal.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
You mean the news of Harper kicking the butts of a few Senators - what most Canadians would like to do to them when they read about their expense claims.
I see the spin machine worked for you
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I see the spin machine worked for you
Naturally there are many spin machine's in operation. Harper's has tended to be more successful in recent years. It doesn't particularly look like anything is going to change soon. People who don't like him or his success will clutch at anything offered by the competing spin.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Crack and pot are illegal.
Is it right that they are? Is it right that the others aren't?
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Will no one from the right wing side of the fence go up against him?
I don't think that such a person would have more appeal than Ford; he offers tax cuts to surbanites and, because he's fat and reactionary and often drunk, voters can identify with him. Someone else who offered a policy of tax shifting without the flamboyance would just be a dull version of him. If Ford does fall I'd expect Doug Ford, the thuggish brother, to be elected. A credible rival to the Fords would, I think, have to offer something different, be of another political persuasion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.