Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Road salt and car rust.

Road salt and car rust.

Old Jan 22nd 2015, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road salt and car rust.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If you'd listened to the science teacher when you were a toddler, you'd know that Mr. Fahrenheit based his zero point on the lowest temperature he could manufacture in his lab, which was the freezing point of a saturated NaCl (brine) solution.

0 degrees F = -17.8 degrees C.

Below that salt is useless.
Well not e everyone retains every piece of info from school. I dont recall ever learning this. I dont recall much from science in school and I paid attention and got good grades in that subject.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well not e everyone retains every piece of info from school. I dont recall ever learning this. I dont recall much from science in school and I paid attention and got good grades in that subject.
My reply was to MarkG, not you.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 12:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My reply was to MarkG, not you.
Who cares. Always rude you are. You need to be less rude towards people.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with Novo on this point. We had friends who came to Alberta at the same time as we did , but later they went to the US. People there, particularly in the mid /southern states, remarked on the lack of rust on their much older car ( 1957 ). It was of course because at that time no salt was used in Alberta, because it was ineffective in the lower temperatures which were normal through .out the winter
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, but I don't think I've ever been rude to you.

Shard recently said that you are a poster who commands respect. I agree with him.

MarkkG? Less so. He's a bit of a twat.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

I have never found Novo to be rude. Perhaps, strong in his opinions with some educational input ( to which he is entitled} and I for one appreciate that as I too am another strong minded person with my own opinions. If you can not accept and deal with opinions contrary to yours , I feel sorry for you.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd listened to the science teacher when you were a toddler, you'd know that Mr. Fahrenheit based his zero point on the lowest temperature he could manufacture in his lab, which was the freezing point of a saturated NaCl (brine) solution.
I believe Britain switched to Celcius around the end of the Stone Age. The only mention of Fahrenheit I remember from school was when the teacher briefly mentioned there was some weird old temperature scale that a few funny foreign countries still used.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
We get a car wash seasons pass in the winter. Petro Canada sells them at $180 for 95 washes in 95 days. (Limit 1 wash per day.)

The SuperWorks (highest level) wash you can get for $9 per wash if you load up a reloadable card (otherwise about $14 at the pump), so that makes your break even point $180/9=20 washes... or one wash every 4-5 days.

We split the card with our neighbour and pass it back and forth every 3 days. We both have two cars, so we average usually 4-5 washes every week... we have already passed 20 washes in about 30 days, so washes for the next two months are effectively free.

Not a bad way to spend the money. Keeps the cars clean as they are regularly going through the wash, keeps the salt off, keeps the undersides rinsed. Works for us.
I wish the one and only car wash here did something like that.

We only have 1 option and it's not the greatest car wash and a bit over priced.

Quick Wash is 12

Super is 14

Ultra is 17

They also have 3 coin bays, where you wash yourself, we use this one normally, but can't get a super good clean, but it gets the stuff off.

$2 gets you 3 minutes, average to soap, clean, and rinse takes about 6 to 8 dollars.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 6:10 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

0 degrees F = -17.8 degrees C.

Below that salt is useless.
I remember my teacher using this chart in class.
Attached Thumbnails Road salt and car rust.-fiqy71s.jpg  
Old Jan 25th 2015, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

CFAmovingsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been looking for something like that, thx!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I believe Britain switched to Celcius around the end of the Stone Age. The only mention of Fahrenheit I remember from school was when the teacher briefly mentioned there was some weird old temperature scale that a few funny foreign countries still used.
A man came yesterday to sell us a new furnace. He spoke in Fahrenheit but translated seamlessly on request. As with building materials, you have to know both systems here; one to use day-to-day, one to tell the government you use day-to-day. And, now that I think of it, he measured everything; ductwork, pipe runs, required btus, in imperial. All the people who came to quote did; if there's a French Thermal Unit or an EUTU, it seems no one uses it here.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:31 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
A man came yesterday to sell us a new furnace. He spoke in Fahrenheit but translated seamlessly on request. As with building materials, you have to know both systems here; one to use day-to-day, one to tell the government you use day-to-day. And, now that I think of it, he measured everything; ductwork, pipe runs, required btus, in imperial. All the people who came to quote did; if there's a French Thermal Unit or an EUTU, it seems no one uses it here.
Canada is, as you know well, bilingual. It's only a matter of time before Ontario, for example, establishes an Imperial School Board and a Metric one. This would be an improvement on the current nonsense.

But even the machines in Canada are bilingual: my outdoor thermometer made a recent unilateral declaration of independence from the corrupt Celsius system (not as the well educated poster from Saskatoon suggested the Celcius system).

It decided all by itself to display temperatures in Fahrenheit for the wintertime.

I think this may have resulted from a reluctance to wear out its minus sign.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is, as you know well, bilingual. It's only a matter of time before Ontario, for example, establishes an Imperial School Board and a Metric one. This would be an improvement on the current nonsense.

But even the machines in Canada are bilingual: my outdoor thermometer made a recent unilateral declaration of independence from the corrupt Celsius system (not as the well educated poster from Saskatoon suggested the Celcius system).

It decided all by itself to display temperatures in Fahrenheit for the wintertime.

I think this may have resulted from a reluctance to wear out its minus sign.
My car is bilingual but oddly so. In order to have mpg displayed I have to have the temperature in F. What I really want is the temperature in C when it's below freezing and F when it's above but I suppose that's a bit complicated for those computer thingies.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
My car is bilingual but oddly so. In order to have mpg displayed I have to have the temperature in F. What I really want is the temperature in C when it's below freezing and F when it's above but I suppose that's a bit complicated for those computer thingies.
My car can do C and F for the temp display, but can't do MPG only Liters per 100 km which is annoying.