Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Right or wrong? Discriminatory or not?

Right or wrong? Discriminatory or not?

Old Jun 24th 2014, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Right or wrong? Discriminatory or not?

Sun News : Nanaimo councillors divide and censor

Interesting situation for sure, seems to have people in an outrage online. I am not sure the event in question should have been banned, and does seem the city council wasn't well informed before making a decision and made the decision largely on assumptions and lack of factual information.

Until today, I had never heard of this convention.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right or wrong? Discriminatory or not?

So they banned it because they didn't agree with the views of a director of one of the sponsors? Or did I misread?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
So they banned it because they didn't agree with the views of a director of one of the sponsors? Or did I misread?
No, that is what I got out of it too, they don't agree with the views of a sponsor and banned the whole thing.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
No, that is what I got out of it too, they don't agree with the views of a sponsor and banned the whole thing.
That is a dangerous precedent they have set!
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:42 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Chick fil A are openly anti same sex marriage. They allegedly apply their Souther Baptist views to the workplace, ie no gay staff, no working mums. They donate money to anti gay causes. They are also the only sponsors of these Leadership conventions which are also evangelical Christian cult type things.

No my cup of tea at all, should they be censored? Probably not.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bats
Chick fil A are openly anti same sex marriage. They allegedly apply their Souther Baptist views to the workplace, ie no gay staff, no working mums. They donate money to anti gay causes. They are also the only sponsors of these Leadership conventions which are also evangelical Christian cult type things.

No my cup of tea at all, should they be censored? Probably not.
The article says they are only one of a dozen sponsors no?

Does anyone happen to know the name of the convention in question?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 1:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

As I read through the article something didn't seem quite right.

Among the bits that struck me were "the politicians there think highly enough of themselves and their deep thoughts that they actually televise their council meetings."

<usually this would be considered transparency>

There was something about the style.

I went to the top of the report and saw the writer's name. EZRA LEVANT. A name I have come across before and worthy of ignoring as one would ignore The Tea Party.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 1:20 am
Account Closed

I believe the name is leader cast, and from looking on google, the event seems to be mostly local sponsors, I've come across a couple of local websites for it, and each have their own local sponsors from that town or nearby.

I don't know the background of leader-cast itself well enough to go in depth, just saw the hoopla online about the decision in Nanaimo.

Seem to get some big names speaking however.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 1:27 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Leadercast, google them and Chick a Fil A
Old Jun 25th 2014, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I believe the name is leader cast, and from looking on google, the event seems to be mostly local sponsors, I've come across a couple of local websites for it, and each have their own local sponsors from that town or nearby.

I don't know the background of leader-cast itself well enough to go in depth, just saw the hoopla online about the decision in Nanaimo.

Seem to get some big names speaking however.
It appears to be the mouthpiece of a church:

Leadercast | Real Life Church
Old Jun 25th 2014, 1:59 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Ah thanks, you found the link I couldn't.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:05 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

That is a dangerous precedent they have set!
It might be a precedent, not sure it is all that dangerous.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:09 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Aviator
It might be a precedent, not sure it is all that dangerous.
It's that thing about not liking someone's views but defending the right to say them. But when the views are contrary to the laws of the land are they still allowed?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I have no idea, so many websites linking this leader cast thing to so many different things...I can't tell if its the church doing it, or just selling tickets to it... Either way, I don't think its something that should be banned, doesn't seem to be particular religious or spewing hate from what I can tell.

I am not religious and don't agree with most of what religion talks about, but at the same time those with religious beliefs have a right just as I do, as long as they are following the laws and not doing anything illegal.

This is the actual website for them and its not even on the same side of the country as that church, so hard to tell if its that church running it or just hosting one of the webcasts in that area.

About Us | What is Leadercast?

Just a very interesting situation over there, I've got a couple friends in Nanaimo so its been on FB all day.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, people in Nanaimo are mostly grown adults with minds of their own and I don't find them to be particularly malleable or overly impressionable. What is the city council so afraid of? Do they really think your average Nanaimoite is so dumb and impressionable that they'll immediately adopt whatever controversial views this simulcast might promote (whether overtly or subtly)? If not, then why is there a need to silence them using outright censorship?

Censorship is definitely not the way to go in order to prove that an idea is wrong. The best way to beat such controversial views is to use rational arguments to punch these ideas in the face by using their own convoluted logic against it. Rational and intelligent people will also follow those who give the best sensible argument for or against any given idea. Everyone in Nanaimo should view this censorship as an insult to their intelligence and cognition processes by the city council.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.