Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Renovation thread

The Renovation thread

Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:32 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Renovation thread

I've been debating whether to paint my condo.

Although I suspect the current wall colour of my place is 'cool' at the moment (nearly every place I viewed had this wall colour), I think it's yucky. Fortunately for me, my clumsiness and a resulting hole in the wall, has made the decision for me. Plus I've zero furniture to wreck and some time to kill so it all makes sense. I spent much of the day buying paint and etc.

So... some before pics ( I'm a bit of a slob )
Attached Thumbnails The Renovation thread-beforefromkitchen.jpg   The Renovation thread-beforedoors.jpg   The Renovation thread-beforeloo.jpg   The Renovation thread-beforethekitchen.jpg   The Renovation thread-beforesexpit.jpg  

Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:46 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

Although I suspect the current wall colour of my place is 'cool' at the moment (nearly every place I viewed had this wall colour), I think it's yucky. Fortunately for me, my clumsiness and a resulting hole in the wall, has made the decision for me. Plus I've zero furniture to wreck and some time to kill so it all makes sense. I spent much of the day buying paint and etc.

Nah don't paint it.

Just buy lots and lots of pictures to cover it up.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:50 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

2006 - completed an extra 600 sq feet in our place - converted really nasty bare storage room behind garage to large luxury laundry room, reno'd crummy bathroom to luxury one with travertine stone wall/floor, both these rooms have nice snug underfloor heating now. Converted huge bare L-shaped basement to chill out lounge with stone fireplace and convection fire, converted old laundry room upstairs to new bedroom/sitting room/dining room thing with wood floor, turning it from a 3 to 4 bed house.

2007 - planned projects include 2 reno'd bathrooms, more wood floor throughout, possibly some landscaping out back to add garden space, new doors to the outside, new cedar wrap-around deck with eating area and hot tub, and possibly a new kitchen. Will see how it all progresses as to how much we can do. Might only do half of that as 2006 was mental and summer was a 50% write-off due to reno work. Don't want a repeat of that.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails The Renovation thread-dsc02364.jpg   The Renovation thread-dsc02368.jpg   The Renovation thread-dsc02051.jpg   The Renovation thread-dsc02045.jpg  
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Rich_007
2006 - completed an extra 600 sq feet in our place - converted really nasty bare storage room behind garage to large luxury laundry room, reno'd crummy bathroom to luxury one with travertine stone wall/floor, both these rooms have nice snug underfloor heating now. Converted huge bare L-shaped basement to chill out lounge with stone fireplace and convection fire, converted old laundry room upstairs to new bedroom/sitting room/dining room thing with wood floor, turning it from a 3 to 4 bed house.

2007 - planned projects include 2 reno'd bathrooms, more wood floor throughout, possibly some landscaping out back to add garden space, new doors to the outside, new cedar wrap-around deck with eating area and hot tub, and possibly a new kitchen. Will see how it all progresses as to how much we can do. Might only do half of that as 2006 was mental and summer was a 50% write-off due to reno work. Don't want a repeat of that.

Rich.

All very appealing until one remembers:
Attached Thumbnails The Renovation thread-richscat.jpg  
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:15 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Taupe, mushroom, whatever it's called has too much grey in it, imo, and so I like to paint things with a more white/yellow/clean cream colour to make the rooms brighter and larger feeling....

I have found a before picture, just need to find after....there we go, it's a lighter shade than it looks as it is south facing and very sunny so looks warmer.
Attached Thumbnails The Renovation thread-orchardfield-living-room.jpg   The Renovation thread-orchard-living-room.jpg  

Last edited by yonk; Oct 18th 2006 at 7:20 am.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:21 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

much easier to paint when unfurnished....
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by yonk
Taupe, mushroom, whatever it's called has too much grey in it, imo, and so I like to paint things with a more white/yellow/clean cream colour to make the rooms brighter and larger feeling....

I have found a before picture, just need to find after....there we go, it's a lighter shade than it looks as it is south facing and very sunny so looks warmer.
Yup, I agree. Nice paint job!

I'm waiting for the sun to come up (I don't have much light and no lamps yet) before I crack open a can of 'Kernel' - which, according to the paint chip, looks very similar to your after colour. I've also two darker shades in the same hue to play with. Hopefully that will work!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 3:52 am

OK... Friday night and Aretha Franklin and I just finished painting the bedroom.

before.... after... ( please ignore the green tape and ugly carpet and the colours are very different than what I'm seeing on my monitor but what the hell... )

.... oh dammit the pics are too big...

ok... small enough now.
Attached Thumbnails The Renovation thread-beforesexpit.jpg   The Renovation thread-during.jpg   The Renovation thread-after.jpg  

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Oct 21st 2006 at 4:08 am.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Holy macaroni people - your pics are driving my mac nuts!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:22 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

OK... Friday night and Aretha Franklin and I just finished painting the bedroom.
Nice, Peas! Bright but warm

What colour is that???
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Nice, Peas! Bright but warm

What colour is that???
Thanks Morw!

It's 'Final Straw' from Walls Alive on 17th Ave. I'm painting the rest of the place with more of that plus 'Kernel'.... eventually (maybe).
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Thanks Morw!

It's 'Final Straw' from Walls Alive on 17th Ave. I'm painting the rest of the place with more of that plus 'Kernel'.... eventually (maybe).

Pics are wonderful ro....the place is looking good!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

As we're discussing houses a lot elsewhere, I thought I'd drag this back to the top and add the *ahem* progress on my bedroom....

here it is right at this very moment:

On the up side - great ventilation with nothing (literally) between us and the mountains...lol

Walls so rotten from poor (and pretty standard) window installation, we have had to partially rip out and replace studs and OSB of exterior wall.

Close up of the rot - the OSB falls apart on touching it.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:14 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Just gave you karma
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
As we're discussing houses a lot elsewhere, I thought I'd drag this back to the top and add the *ahem* progress on my bedroom....

here it is right at this very moment:

On the up side - great ventilation with nothing (literally) between us and the mountains...lol

Walls so rotten from poor (and pretty standard) window installation, we have had to partially rip out and replace studs and OSB of exterior wall.

Close up of the rot - the OSB falls apart on touching it.
Oh poop, that can't be good! What a mess to live through - karma sent.

Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.