Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Registering a car in another province

Registering a car in another province

Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering a car in another province

I've done a search and can't find much.....

We are moving from QC to ON. I am going to need to change medicare cards, driving licenses and re-register my car.

The question I have is do I need to pay tax on the car again?? I bought it 3 years ago and nearly died when told I had to pay tax on a second hand car... and now, after looking at the Ontario car registration website, it looks like I have to pay it again!

I'm hoping I've misread something somewhere, because that is gouging gone too far!

Has anyone moved provinces before, and if so, do you have any advice?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a car in another province

Originally Posted by geedee

We are moving from QC to ON. I am going to need to change medicare cards, driving licenses and re-register my car.

The question I have is do I need to pay tax on the car again?? I bought it 3 years ago and nearly died when told I had to pay tax on a second hand car... and now, after looking at the Ontario car registration website, it looks like I have to pay it again!

I'm hoping I've misread something somewhere, because that is gouging gone too far!

I moved from BC to MB took 20 mins to register and do licences etc.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:56 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

No, you do not pay tax again. You simply take the registration and insurance paperwork to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles, or whatever they call it in Ontario nowadays, and get new plates. You can also get a refund on the unused portion of your QC plate I believe. At least you can in other Provinces.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both.... that's a real relief! I can't afford another 14% of purchase price!

I am insured with AllState... do I just need to tell them about the move and wait for an updated insurance document, or can I use what I have now?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In BC the provincial tax/levy is only charged when there is a change of ownership.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

we moved from SK to ON...i had to change all the insurance and plates..and take my car in for an emmisions test and there is another one i had to get done too at the same time, but cant remember what it was...i took my car to crappy tire as without this document u cant change your plates.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
we moved from SK to ON...i had to change all the insurance and plates..and take my car in for an emmisions test and there is another one i had to get done too at the same time, but cant remember what it was...i took my car to crappy tire as without this document u cant change your plates.
Thanks Claire... I didn't think it would be straightforward, being Canada, eh?

Looks like you post less often than me!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:08 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

do you need an out of province inspection when its your own car - might need to check on that because if so you'll need one of those before you can re-register it
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Hi....we recently brought 2 vehicles from New Brunswick to BC. These vehicles had been owned by us for some months. Upon arrival in BC (to take up residence here) we had 30 days to have the vehicles inspected and registered to BC. The inspections were carried out at Canadian Tyre...and were quite detailed. We were advised that the vehicles would need to work as they did when leaving the factory!! The inspections appeared to be more exhaustive than the MOT. I am guessing that each Province has it's own rules and regulations about inter-provincial transfers.

Steve
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all for your help.

I think I'll just leave it registered in QC for now!!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all for your help.

I think I'll just leave it registered in QC for now!!
Registration fee for Ontario is $74/year
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
The inspections were carried out at Canadian Tyre...and were quite detailed. We were advised that the vehicles would need to work as they did when leaving the factory!! The inspections appeared to be more exhaustive than the MOT. I am guessing that each Province has it's own rules and regulations about inter-provincial transfers.

Steve
I may be wrong, but with it being crappy tire, its much more likely they were fishing for work they can charge for than actaully digging hard for the provincial inspection..
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I may be wrong, but with it being crappy tire, its much more likely they were fishing for work they can charge for than actaully digging hard for the provincial inspection..
+1
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Of course, it is entirely possible that this is the case.....however, the printed (official?) checklist was clearly pretty exhaustive too!

Steve