uk pensions

Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:18 pm

chelsea fc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk pensions

hi all,
l have a question about uk pensions being transfered from the uk to canada
at retirement age.my wife and myself have both payed into the uk pension
for 30 years before we immigrated to canada,this entitles both my wife and myself a full basic state uk pension.
l have been told by different people that we will be taxed on them,if anybody
is going through this process at this time or has been l would be gratefull for any help on this matter.
have a good day,
regards,
chelsea fc.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:25 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk pensions

Originally Posted by chelsea fc
hi all,
for 30 years before we immigrated to canada,this entitles both my wife and myself a full basic state uk pension.
is going through this process at this time or has been l would be gratefull for any help on this matter.
have a good day,
regards,
chelsea fc.
Yes, you will be taxed on them but not in the UK.
The payments will be deposited by the UK government, in Canadian dollars, into your Canadian account at the exchange rate of the day. You have to keep track of the amounts and you must declare them as income on your annual Canadian Income Tax return.
You can elect to have the payments on a weekly, monthly or quarterly basis.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:14 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

What about private pension schemes, can these be transferred to a canadian actuary? Perhaps they will perform better in canada than UK. Speculation i know, but can they be transferred?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,
have a good day,
regards,
chelsea fc.
You've probably looked at the other threads on this forum, so you are aware that your UK state pension will be frozen, i.e. will not get the annual increase.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
What about private pension schemes, can these be transferred to a canadian actuary? Perhaps they will perform better in canada than UK. Speculation i know, but can they be transferred?
Most can, as long as some of the contributions were made by an employer. There are several advantages to doing so because the Canadian equivalents, RRSPs, are so much more flexible.

If you are in BC or Alberta I can recommended someone with a lot of expertise in these matters (a sometime poster mjwalker007) who you can talk to.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:22 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they can be transferred. There are companies that advertise that they can do this for you, e.g. pensioncanada.com. If you don't transfer, when you claim the pension, Canada will tax your lump sum, even though it would be tax free in the UK.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:30 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by Editha
You've probably looked at the other threads on this forum, so you are aware that your UK state pension will be frozen, i.e. will not get the annual increase.
I did but it all appears to be all bickering...

When is it frozen, from when you claim it at 65 or from when we leave UK (ie, current rate frozen until we hit 65 in 20 yrs time)
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I did but it all appears to be all bickering...

When is it frozen, from when you claim it at 65 or from when we leave UK (ie, current rate frozen until we hit 65 in 20 yrs time)
When you claim it at 65. You get whatever the going rate is then.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
When you claim it at 65. You get whatever the going rate is then.
I think that is quite good. i won't be paying anymore in for the next 20 years, great! Thank you.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:56 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I think that is quite good. i won't be paying anymore in for the next 20 years, great! Thank you.
You might do better paying NI contributions when you are in Canada, if you haven't earned a full pension already. The voluntary contributions don't cost much. It's worth checking out.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.o...-contributions

You can actually get two state pensions, one from Canada and one from the UK.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:25 am

thank you,
simon legree.
editha.
expatdoris.
and jonboye.
for the help with the uk state pension,we still have 12 years to go before
we start to get the pensions, good to know.
regards,
chelsea fc.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Yes, you will be taxed on them but not in the UK.
The payments will be deposited by the UK government, in Canadian dollars, into your Canadian account at the exchange rate of the day. You have to keep track of the amounts and you must declare them as income on your annual Canadian Income Tax return.
You can elect to have the payments on a weekly, monthly or quarterly basis.
hi,simon legree,
is this correct you work out how much uk pension you have been paid for the year,then put it on your canadian tax return and this amount goes towards your yearly turn over,then your allowances deducted.
thank you,
chelsea fc.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:27 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

hi,simon legree,
is this correct you work out how much uk pension you have been paid for the year,then put it on your canadian tax return and this amount goes towards your yearly turn over,then your allowances deducted.
thank you,
chelsea fc.
That is correct.
Small point but it's called income not turnover.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
That is correct.
Small point but it's called income not turnover.
hi,simon legree,
thanks for the help,l understand it now,all good to know,
regards,
chelsea fc.