Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for things to see in Toronto

Recommendations for things to see in Toronto

Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all
Default Recommendations for things to see in Toronto

OK so we've got 2 weeks in Toronto and want to pack plenty in.
We'll be doing some of the usual touristy things (CN Tower, museums etc) but I would like to know of some stuff that's 'off the beaten track'.

What can you recommend? We're staying close to the University on Dundas so we're fairly well placed and not afraid to walk!

What are your hidden Toronto gems? We are considering moving there and this is a 'taster' trip...

Also, where is good to go not in the city itself? Is it worth treking out to Burlington for example?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for things to see in Toronto

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
OK so we've got 2 weeks in Toronto and want to pack plenty in.
We'll be doing some of the usual touristy things (CN Tower, museums etc) but I would like to know of some stuff that's 'off the beaten track'.

What can you recommend? We're staying close to the University on Dundas so we're fairly well placed and not afraid to walk!

What are your hidden Toronto gems? We are considering moving there and this is a 'taster' trip...

Also, where is good to go not in the city itself? Is it worth treking out to Burlington for example?

Take the College car from one end to the other, get off and walk around anywhere that looks interesting. Or stay on it and see the world for $2.75. The St. Lawrence and Kensington markets are interesting, different stuff on offer in them. Rent bikes and take the trail along the lake to the Balmy Beach Club in the east (the end) and as far as you like to the west. Take the ferry to the island, rent bikes, explore (being aware that the nude beach is a very gay nude beach).

Oh, and for the weirdly fetishistic, there's a corner in the Bata Shoe Museum that's out of sight of the cameras.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 16th 2009 at 2:20 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

joncal is an unknown quantity at this point

As you mentioned, don't miss out on the museums and also OCAD (Ontario College of Arts & Design), Dundas & University, you will either hate it or love it, make sure you view it at night time also!.

http://www.ists11.org/ocad_h436.jpg

For something different: St. Jacobs Village.
http://www.magiccarpetjournals.com/St_Jacobs.htm

I'm assuming you'll also drive to Niagara Falls.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 2:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

See if they've resumed tours of the water treatment plant at Ashbridges Bay. Surprisingly, that place is one of the few attractive buildings in Toronto, an art deco masterpiece.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joncal
As you mentioned, don't miss out on the museums and also OCAD (Ontario College of Arts & Design), Dundas & University, you will either hate it or love it, make sure you view it at night time also!.

http://www.ists11.org/ocad_h436.jpg

For something different: St. Jacobs Village.
http://www.magiccarpetjournals.com/St_Jacobs.htm

I'm assuming you'll also drive to Niagara Falls.

Enjoy!
LOVE that pic!!! Def want to go and see it...

Yes, will be going to Niagara but not driving (not hiring a car this trip)...

How far does the GTA Weekly Pass extend? I'm trying to work out the range of the TTC system - I know it's the GTA area, but still getting my bearings from maps etc and don't know how far that it, exactly!!!
AM I right in thinking that we can get to the Wonderland theme park without having to pay extra?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'm trying to work out the range of the TTC system -
The TTC is just the subway, the streetcars and buses connecting to the subway, it's just in Toronto proper. The GTA is "served" by a mish-mash of local transit systems intended to ferry commuters to and from the TTC and/or the GO train. I see that the GTA pass covers the systems neighbouring the TTC, I assume that it's intended to allow payment of one fare in order to commute, I think you'd be very lucky to be able to use it to go out of town and back without staying the night.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:11 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure when you are coming, but if the weather is nice then take a walk along the harbourfront. It's a lovely spot for chilling out beside the water and watching the planes taking off from the airport. There is a craft market there and usually live music too.

Having spent yesterday at the Beach, I would recommend that if it's warm. Lots of places to eat with patios.

If you go to the AGO, then there is a great cafe across the street. Best crepes....ever.

The Distillery District is nice too.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:22 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to work out the range of the TTC system

You can download quite detailed maps of the system from http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/General_In...aps/System.jsp

For an interesting trip on the system take the Queen Street streetcar #501. It's one of the longest streetcar trips in North America. Runs just above the lake from The Beach area in the east to Long Branch in the west. The Beach is an upscale area (called The Beaches in error) and has lots of good shops/cafes/restaurants. Take a walk south to the lake/beach or a walk north into one of the best leafy areas of the GTA. It runs east to west (west to east if you prefer) right through the centre of the city. Good value for money.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

AM I right in thinking that we can get to the Wonderland theme park without having to pay extra?
No, but then again, why would you want too?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, but then again, why would you want too?
Because we love theme parks!!! And some of the rides look pretty cool
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

apparently yes - the GTA pass includes Mississauga, Brampton and York Region Transit routes. It'd be a somewhat tedious journey to Canada's Wonderland from downtown, though. Several YRT buses and one TTC (route 165A) go to Wonderland, from York Mills station. I think there's also a GO bus to Wonderland that may be more convenient, although of course not covered by GTApass.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

The Beaches - take the Queen Street streetcar East to Kew Gardens, it's beautiful and so relaxing and only 25 mins from downtown!

Also Toronto Zoo is well worth the trip, can be done by TTC, subway then bus.

So jealous, wish we were going soon!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:54 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Take a ferry over to Toronto Islands. There are beaches there if you fancy a dip, there is also centerville on center island with a few rides and things for the kids.

If the timing is right, take in a baseball game at the Rogers Center. I'd say go and see hockey, but it's out of season, and it's stupidly expensive. If you're into football (as in proper football, and not this armoured up version of rugby) then BMO field is part of exhibition place, so there could be a match on.

TTC ride to High Park, which is a rather nice park.

There is/was a drive-in movie theater on cherry street, but you'd need a car for that, guess you could always rent one for the day, but a bit extravagant for just seeing a movie.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:18 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

• Distillery District
  • The Islands
  • Kensington market
  • Summerhill LCBO
  • Queen West
  • Queen West West
  • Queen East
  • Beaches
  • AGO
  • Harbord Street (between Spadina and Bathurst) for restaurants
  • Chinatown
  • ROM
  • Drinks on the Hyatt rooftop

Last edited by geo4; Aug 25th 2009 at 4:21 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sharkus

TTC ride to High Park, which is a rather nice park.
That sounds like a plan. I want to have a look around High Park anyway as I've heard that it's a good place to live.

And as we're using this as a fact finding mission, I want to check everything out.

IS it true that the area around High Park is a good residential zone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.