Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Recommend a mobile package in BC please

Recommend a mobile package in BC please

Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:17 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommend a mobile package in BC please

I have been here in Abbotsford B.C for one month and I need a mobile provider and package that doesn't cost me the earth.

I don't need a handset - I have one of those.

I am not interested in mobile internet or downloading anything - I just need the basics of text and calls.

I do need to be able to call abroad using my 'phone card (which my current phone can't do) and it would save me money if my texts to certain numbers were cheaper (sort of a Friends and Family thing or five favourite numbers).

If anyone can recommend a good value package or even just a good site where I can compare Canadian mobile prices without my head exploding with information overload, I would be grateful.

I just really don't know where to start looking.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:51 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend a mobile package in BC please

http://www.comparecellular.com/
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:37 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Thanks for that link!

Does anyone have any advice about the best provider?

The Fido plan looks to be the best for me, but I have read that they are now owned by Rogers and that they are rubbish - Poor Customer service and errors of billing combining to cause some customers to have a nightmare being charged for stuff they haven't used and not being able to get any sense out of Rogers CS department.

I had a Pay as you Go in the UK and that was fine, as I mostly used it for texting, which was cheap and of course, no wrangles over billing or contracts.
But here I have gone through $25 on my husband's old PAYG and that is in just under a month and bear in mind I don't know anyone here to be phoning

It has mainly been charges for other people phoning me and also texts sent to and received from the OH because of course you get charged here for receiving as well as sending, which is taking some getting used to.

Any reliable providers in B.C?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Thanks for that link!

Does anyone have any advice about the best provider?

The Fido plan looks to be the best for me, but I have read that they are now owned by Rogers and that they are rubbish - Poor Customer service and errors of billing combining to cause some customers to have a nightmare being charged for stuff they haven't used and not being able to get any sense out of Rogers CS department.

I had a Pay as you Go in the UK and that was fine, as I mostly used it for texting, which was cheap and of course, no wrangles over billing or contracts.
But here I have gone through $25 on my husband's old PAYG and that is in just under a month and bear in mind I don't know anyone here to be phoning

It has mainly been charges for other people phoning me and also texts sent to and received from the OH because of course you get charged here for receiving as well as sending, which is taking some getting used to.

Any reliable providers in B.C?
We're with Bell. Not had any issues at all and pretty good coverage.

We have the Fab 10 or whatever it's called where 10 numbers are free for texts and calls. We also use What's App on the iphone to text friends and family around the world for free and also friends in Canada outside of our 10.

$50 a month for it though so not too cheap. This included the phone.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:26 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the art of writing a nice long letter and using airmail?

We are all on Rogers.

Me. I have everything on me smart fone. $90 mth

Oh. Has a pay n run card. She has it set for infinite txts for $10 mth

The boy. He has a Blackburrie. He uses bbm and txts his pals in the uk constantly. Also unlimited txts here and 200 mins. $37

And coz we got TV with Rogers we get 10% off for a combined billing thingy. ;-)
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:37 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
We're with Bell. Not had any issues at all and pretty good coverage.

We have the Fab 10 or whatever it's called where 10 numbers are free for texts and calls. We also use What's App on the iphone to text friends and family around the world for free and also friends in Canada outside of our 10.

$50 a month for it though so not too cheap. This included the phone.
Mrs Rich took out a Bell cell phone contract in March. Was told that if it was bundled with our existing Bell TV package, there was a $10 p/mth saving on offer.

8 months later we're still waiting for the savings to be credited to the account. Just spent an hour in a Bell store, countless previous hours on the phone to sort out the billing and it's still unresolved. Bell's excuse is that 'it can take some time to appear on a customers bill'.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
What happened to the art of writing a nice long letter and using airmail?

We are all on Rogers.

Me. I have everything on me smart fone. $90 mth

Oh. Has a pay n run card. She has it set for infinite txts for $10 mth

The boy. He has a Blackburrie. He uses bbm and txts his pals in the uk constantly. Also unlimited txts here and 200 mins. $37

And coz we got TV with Rogers we get 10% off for a combined billing thingy. ;-)
I think you answered your own question in the rest of your post
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:30 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think you answered your own question in the rest of your post
Bum Tish. You noticed the ironicness then. ;-)

Seriously ish though. When i was doin time on Ascension isles in the 80's post was all we had back then. Blue forces snail mail. And yeh it sucked. :-(
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:36 pm
Island life at last

Can I keep the handset I have now, do you think?
I like it because it is simple, small and I understand how to use it

I HATE my husband's mobile because it has tiny little, fiddly number buttons in a sea of others which I have little or no use for.
It is ridiculously easy to press the wrong number button as you can't see them and have to press them with one fingernail.
SO frustrating.
I do not want one like that, thanks.

Can I also port this telephone number (now that I have memorised it!) or is that a PITA?

Some of these plans are not on the comparison site.
Is there any benefit to going into a mobile shop and getting advice or will they just try to sell me things I don't want/need?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Can I keep the handset I have now, do you think?
I like it because it is simple, small and I understand how to use it

I HATE my husband's mobile because it has tiny little, fiddly number buttons in a sea of others which I have little or no use for.
It is ridiculously easy to press the wrong number button as you can't see them and have to press them with one fingernail.
SO frustrating.
I do not want one like that, thanks.

Can I also port this telephone number (now that I have memorised it!) or is that a PITA?

Some of these plans are not on the comparison site.
Is there any benefit to going into a mobile shop and getting advice or will they just try to sell me things I don't want/need?
I've just checked the site (www.chatrwireless.com) for coverage and your area is part of it.

I have a bog standard phone (an LG which cost about $50) and a payg no contract unlimited in and out and texts within the chatr coverage zone for $35 per month.

It works for other stuff (US / UK etc) too, but that's likely not too cheap. I don't need that (I can make those calls from work) so it suits me.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:00 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've just checked the site (www.chatrwireless.com) for coverage and your area is part of it.

I have a bog standard phone (an LG which cost about $50) and a payg no contract unlimited in and out and texts within the chatr coverage zone for $35 per month.

It works for other stuff (US / UK etc) too, but that's likely not too cheap. I don't need that (I can make those calls from work) so it suits me.
Now that is more like it, Novo.
Thanks!

Although I see that I am not in the unlimited chatr area, so some charges would apply, so i will have to research that a bit more.
Can I keep my current handset and number, do you know?

Last edited by helcat12; Nov 1st 2011 at 10:18 pm. Reason: amendment for content
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Can I keep my current handset and number, do you know?
Sorry, no idea. chatr is another Rogers subsidiary so their phones use a sim. Worst case I'd think is a new sim, which typically costs next to nothing, but of course involves a new number.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:34 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry, no idea. chatr is another Rogers subsidiary so their phones use a sim. Worst case I'd think is a new sim, which typically costs next to nothing, but of course involves a new number.
OK. Thanks and I will look into that.

All other suggestions welcome
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Hi we live in Abbotsford and have a $15 monthly package with koodo never had a problem with reception or service.