Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Reciprocal living and working rights backed in UK, Australia, NZ and Canada

Reciprocal living and working rights backed in UK, Australia, NZ and Canada

Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:31 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reciprocal living and working rights backed in UK, Australia, NZ and Canada

I didn't have to do an English test, I was spousal in 2011.

I cannot tell you the sheer number of English and Canadian people who are astounded that I had to fill in forms and am still unable to become a citizen - The two favourite responses are "but we're in the Commonwealth" (from Brits) to "you're the wife and mother of a Canadian" (from Canadians). It's really rather heartwarming.

Is the Comonwealth all but dead except for sporting fixtures and trade agreements?
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reciprocal living and working rights backed in UK, Australia, NZ and Canada

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I disagree. The level of English on here is much better then on other expat forums on the Web and FB forums
They may well be better but that doesn't mean that we is liderut.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Is the Comonwealth all but dead except for sporting fixtures and trade agreements?
When do I get some of this common wealth anyway?
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:54 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

You would be surprised about the number of 'white Canadians' who are shocked when I tell them I had to take an English test for my PR application and then say 'but you are British, you invented the language. You should just be able to come over here'

Not such a dead idea to them!
English test? I didn't have to do any such thing for my work permit, PNP, PR, or Citizenship... I just sent them a copy of my qualifications, obtained at UK institutions, and that was that!

I guess with the standard of English language schooling in the UK in the last decade though, introduction of mandatory English testing is probably a good idea.

Maybe they should print the test in the Daily Mail font to make it easier

Last edited by Photoplex; Mar 15th 2016 at 4:57 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:02 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
English test? I didn't have to do any such thing for my work permit, PNP, PR, or Citizenship... I just sent them a copy of my qualifications, obtained at UK institutions, and that was that!
You would now.

I have an Australian friend here who also had to take one.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:04 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It's a good thing in short term assimilation.

The number 1 reason we see people unsuccessful in interviews is their comprehension of English and not being able to answer the questions asked of them.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I think the "white commonwealth" is a long dead idea.
Yup.

Since when did the Commonwealth consist of only UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand?

Misleading headline & article, methinks .
Old Mar 15th 2016, 7:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Yup.

Since when did the Commonwealth consist of only UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand?

Misleading headline & article, methinks .
It's the use of the word "Commonwealth" and then only mentioning the 4 Countries it does that irks me. I know this debate has been had on here before. If the respective Counties want a freedom of movement policy amongst themselves - I suppose, if the majority wish it, fair enough. But what has that got to do with the Commonwealth?
Old Mar 15th 2016, 7:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
When do I get some of this common wealth anyway?
It's depends on how common you are.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If Canada had reciprocal agreements and citizens of those countries could move with ease, that may just be thing that would get me to apply for Canadian citizenship.

I wouldn't mind spending some time in Australia living and working, not sure I would want to do it permanent, but would be nice to experience the place for a year or 2.

I don't otherwise qualify, so currently there is no method that would permit me to live there for a couple years and experience the country.

My wife has a strong interest in living in the UK though again, she has in the past but always ends up back in Canada,
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:31 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

You'd get better odds at the bookies for hell freezing over than this happening...
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My wife has a strong interest in living in the UK though again, she has in the past but always ends up back in Canada,
You'd think working at the palace would get some sort of honorary British Citizenship wouldn't you.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:01 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I tried to google the word 'liderut' and nothing came up with an English language defination attached to it...at the moment I have no idea what you are talking about here.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 12:09 am
limey party pooper

I tried to google the word 'liderut' and nothing came up with an English language defination attached to it...at the moment I have no idea what you are talking about here.
Ah. It was my attempt a phonetic spelling for literate. JamesM understood, I think.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

In the mean time, the Canadian press is running stories like these:

U.K. trade could face cold reception from former colonies such as Canada

Brexit cheerleaders are heading for a cold shoulder if they think the mother country can waltz into the warm embrace of her English-speaking siblings and win free-trade deals with them.

U.K. trade could face cold reception from former colonies such as Canada - The Globe and Mail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.