Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is this a trailer for the piece in question: https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...-and-held-back ? If so it depends on a conceit, it includes the whole population of the world. I accept that the children of Bob and Marcia are likely richer than Bob and Marcia were but our focus is Canada and the west in general; the relative affluence of the population of China or, indeed Jamaica, is of little relevance.
Nope. Your article is from 2016 not 2021. The latter deals with the US. As I said a couple of times.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Nope. Your article is from 2016 not 2021. The latter deals with the US. As I said a couple of times.
Yeah, but your one, and do please point us to it, probably doesn't reference one of the great ska records.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

The problem, if one thinks it a problem, is that young people now will not be able to afford the lifestyle of their parents as we, the parents, cannot afford the lifestyle of our parents.
My son has much wealthier lifestyle than I did at his age. And I am massively wealthier than my dad was.

Given that you are landed gentry and things are getting worse, was your pops a duke?
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My son has much wealthier lifestyle than I did at his age. And I am massively wealthier than my dad was.

Given that you are landed gentry and things are getting worse, was your pops a duke?
A postman. He, and my mother, owned a house in London; a ridiculous fantasy for a postman, or minor investment banker, now. Out of the question for me, 100 acres of Caledon is worth about the same as an ex-council flat.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And I am the opposite where my parents and grandparents were better off, so it goes both ways really, but I dunno, everything I found that wasn't a paywall indicates millenials are not as well off, they have higher income, but less buying power and less wealth compared to boomers and Gen X and younger Gen X like me, we are more like older millenials and less with older Gen X who got in at the tail end of the boom times.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A postman. He, and my mother, owned a house in London; a ridiculous fantasy for a postman, or minor investment banker, now. Out of the question for me, 100 acres of Caledon is worth about the same as an ex-council flat.
My dad was a school janitor, then school delivery driver and then school warehouse worker, the starting wages didn't even keep up with inflation between 1978 and today, my mom was a paramedic from 1988 to 2008, prior to 1988 she worked in retail and a donut shop, they always had 2 cars, and we had a house, took vacations, I doubt this would be possible today in the same jobs.

My MIL worked at Sears, non-management, single mom, bought a house, try doing that today working retail.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I doubt this would be possible today in the same jobs.
Not in most jobs and that's the crux of the issue.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Doesn’t really answer the question. Did he have a wealthier lifestyle, perhaps while also supporting multiple families? I am just curious why the landed gentry has such an impressive propensity to keep moaning on and on.

Regarding London house prices, people got a lot more mobile and London is an international financial centre. Most people living in London were not born in England, let alone in London. Tends to jack up demand while supply is limited. Unless you want to go “bloody immigrants” at me, this isn’t a bad thing. Affordability is very different today too. With below zero real interest rates and much lower cost of basics like food compared to salaries, people can afford much higher mortgages. Or they can choose to invest in alimony instead.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

And I am the opposite where my parents and grandparents were better off, so it goes both ways really, but I dunno, everything I found that wasn't a paywall indicates millenials are not as well off, they have higher income, but less buying power and less wealth compared to boomers and Gen X and younger Gen X like me, we are more like older millenials and less with older Gen X who got in at the tail end of the boom times.
While going through old magazines looking for an article seems too much like work, Googling is easy. Here are actual numbers in Canada, in real terms. As you can see, mils are wealthier than GenXers were at their age. And own homes more often.

https://ppforum.ca/wp-content/upload...N-1.pdf#page20

Last edited by Mordko; Oct 21st 2021 at 11:48 am.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

While going through old magazines looking for an article seems too much like work, Googling is easy. Here are actual numbers in Canada, in real terms. As you can see, mils are wealthier than GenXers were at their age. And own homes more often.

https://ppforum.ca/wp-content/upload...N-1.pdf#page20
Ahem. The argument on one side is that young people in Vancouver today are condemned to relative poverty due to the 2015 and onward house price boom. It is unlikely that the effects of the boom would be seen in a graph of the status in 2016 even if the graph specifically referenced the people in question. 1999 is so long ago that it's like last century dude.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

...they always had 2 cars, and we had a house, took vacations, I doubt this would be possible today in the same jobs.
Not in most jobs and that's the crux of the issue.
Why would one expect that lifestyle to be achievable from those 'same' jobs, 2 generations further on?? The cars, the housing amenities, and the vacations (CoVID-period aside) have improved beyond all previous measure, not to mention the food choices (both supermarket and takeaway), the health-care, and the entertainment options.

Wouldn't the job skill / efficiency / productivity needed to both provide and afford such improvements need to move with the times as well?

Last edited by abner; Oct 21st 2021 at 1:33 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ahem. The argument on one side is that young people in Vancouver today are condemned to relative poverty due to the 2015 and onward house price boom. It is unlikely that the effects of the boom would be seen in a graph of the status in 2016 even if the graph specifically referenced the people in question. 1999 is so long ago that it's like last century dude.
You need to try and make an effort to follow the plot. I am confident that you can if you try. The reason 1999 is quoted for GenX is because GenXers were 25-33, of the same age as Mils were in 2016. Can you do the maths? Here is the reference you might find helpful: https://www.ncertbooks.guru/ncert-books-class-1-maths/

Comparing net worth of people who are about to retire today with youngsters and claiming "young people are worse off than us" is a bit silly. Thankfully, youngsters are not as well off and need to work to support themselves. The other day I overhead my 21 year old kid talking to his friend on Skype and the latter saying that he has enough of retire in the not too distant future. One hopes most moisters are not in his position or we are all screwed.

As for the hard done by young people in Vancouver, I agree. Unfortunate the communist government of VUSSR does not give them exit visas so they are stuck behind the iron curtain.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 2:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by abner

Wouldn't the job skill / efficiency / productivity needed to both provide and afford such improvements need to move with the times as well?
Not if we look at unchanging skills, a carpenter is still a carpenter, a bus driver still a bus driver. Everyday working life for many hasn't changed for decades (I'm looking at a farrier as I type). All that's changed is that working people have fewer housing options now and are more dependent on gifts from their parents.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not if we look at unchanging skills, a carpenter is still a carpenter, a bus driver still a bus driver. Everyday working life for many hasn't changed for decades (I'm looking at a farrier as I type). All that's changed is that working people have fewer housing options now and are more dependent on gifts from their parents.
Except that Canada needs (in terms relative to population) fewer carpenters and bus drivers and more people working for Google. And the markets react to what the economy needs. Simple numbers say millennials are better off than their parents were at the same age. On average. And unless you are sick, in N America there is no excuse to not acquire a skill and not to have a very decent life. But moaning is more fun. Apparently.

Presumably ~10000 years ago someone moaned that cave diggers are no longer getting the same number of tusks per month and that mud-huts are all the rave.

Last edited by Mordko; Oct 21st 2021 at 3:12 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, no. Driving further efficiencies in blue-collar work-practices (e.g. "time-on-tools" for carpenters, "time-on-throttle" for bus drivers) continues to be possible even today, enabling a pattern of productivity-based wage increases that has persisted for decades. Or, where creativity and flexibility run out, wages stagnate (and decline in real terms) over time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.