Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Old Oct 4th 2021, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I found this article from May 2021 of interest.. showing household income and down payment requirements for the major cities in Canada.. https://www.moneyaftergraduation.com...argest-cities/

Hamilton is/was a blue collar worker city - industrial, with the main employment coming from steel works.. (hence the nickname of Steel City) with low to medium (i.e. affordable) house purchase prices. The household income needed now is around $176,000 - higher than Toronto and beyond many average workers ability to pay. This has mainly been caused by people from Toronto and the GTA moving here to take advantage of those same prices, pushing the prices up.
Hamilton is an excellent example of the domino effect that occurs.

Vancouver appears to actually be worse than I even thought, I thought one only needed 150k income, but seems Vancouver you need closer to $200,000 which seems pretty difficult for majority of households in Vancouver considering the city say's only 30% of households earn over 100,000 so needing 200,000 household income to buy seems most households cannot afford to buy today, only 7% of households fall into the 150k to 200k range, and 8% fall into the over 200k range.

Oh look even Abbotsford, BC needs $162,000 income, and it's not exactly a top notch city with amenities, they don't even have good public transit, median household income in Abbotsford is also lower than Vancouver, so seems even the so called "affordable" city's are really not affordable for a large segment of society.

Kelowna $130,000 also a good chunk above the median household income of $68,000 per year.

Looks like St. John’s, NL would be our best bet, but its a little far away and NL has pretty subpar supports compared to BC.

Old Oct 5th 2021, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley see gains of up to nearly 32% over the past year.

Benchmark price for a detached home in Metro Vancouver in September 2021 $1,828,200 and in Fraser Valley Real Estate Board $1,362,220. (note: Surrey while in Metro Vancouver, is not in the Vancouver Real Estate Board, but Fraser Valley Real Estate board.)

20.4 percent increase from September 2020 to September 2021 in Vancouver Real Estate Board and 31.9 percent increase between September 2021 and 2021 in Fraser Valley.

13.6 percent decrease in sales in September 2021 vs September 2020 in Vancouver Board and a 10% decrease in sales in Fraser Valley in Sept 2021 vs same month in 2020.

https://www.straight.com/news/prices...es-of-up-to-32
Old Oct 5th 2021, 3:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley see gains of up to nearly 32% over the past year.

Benchmark price for a detached home in Metro Vancouver in September 2021 $1,828,200 and in Fraser Valley Real Estate Board $1,362,220. (note: Surrey while in Metro Vancouver, is not in the Vancouver Real Estate Board, but Fraser Valley Real Estate board.)

20.4 percent increase from September 2020 to September 2021 in Vancouver Real Estate Board and 31.9 percent increase between September 2021 and 2021 in Fraser Valley.

13.6 percent decrease in sales in September 2021 vs September 2020 in Vancouver Board and a 10% decrease in sales in Fraser Valley in Sept 2021 vs same month in 2020.

https://www.straight.com/news/prices...es-of-up-to-32
My husband's comment after watching a program on TV about house hunting in Vancouver - "I didn't realise Vancouver was so expensive. They looked at a house that was $1.1 million and it was crap! $1.1 million for that!" And off he went, shaking his shocked little head.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 3:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband's comment after watching a program on TV about house hunting in Vancouver - "I didn't realise Vancouver was so expensive. They looked at a house that was $1.1 million and it was crap! $1.1 million for that!" And off he went, shaking his shocked little head.
There are a couple nice 1/2 duplexs listed for 1.1 and 1.2 million, but these seem to the the 2 least expensive freehold even though one you don't own it in full from the sounds of it.

But you can see why so many have no hope in ever owning, only hope is to win the lotto, maybe I should start, can't win if you don't play, small chance, but better chance at winning the lotto than houses ever being priced realistically.

This appears to be the cheapest still, its a weird listing though, no financing available, 875,000 and from what I gather you own only 1/3 of the land, seems 3 houses on 1 lot, but I dunno but its the cheapest house.

1,249,000 I assume its land value only mostly due to the lack of actual photos of said house, and the selling point seems to be great holding property, house needs lots of TLC or tear it down and build a new one, so probably safe to assume the house is crap.

Seems maybe Perth, Australia is a little better, at least better looking homes for less money and seems household median income is a bit higher in Perth as well, 95,000 AUD vs 80,000 CAD in Vancouver (about 87,000 AUD$)

No idea where this house is, but looks like a rather nice house.

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...erth-136790306

End of the day wages too low, housing too expensive both to own and rent.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 5th 2021 at 5:26 am.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
There are a couple nice 1/2 duplexs listed for 1.1 and 1.2 million, but these seem to the the 2 least expensive freehold even though one you don't own it in full from the sounds of it.

But you can see why so many have no hope in ever owning, only hope is to win the lotto, maybe I should start, can't win if you don't play, small chance, but better chance at winning the lotto than houses ever being priced realistically.

This appears to be the cheapest still, its a weird listing though, no financing available, 875,000 and from what I gather you own only 1/3 of the land, seems 3 houses on 1 lot, but I dunno but its the cheapest house.

1,249,000 I assume its land value only mostly due to the lack of actual photos of said house, and the selling point seems to be great holding property, house needs lots of TLC or tear it down and build a new one, so probably safe to assume the house is crap.

Seems maybe Perth, Australia is a little better, at least better looking homes for less money and seems household median income is a bit higher in Perth as well, 95,000 AUD vs 80,000 CAD in Vancouver (about 87,000 AUD$)

No idea where this house is, but looks like a rather nice house.

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...erth-136790306

End of the day wages too low, housing too expensive both to own and rent.
I wouldn't say there is no hope and it just depends on your priorities. You can pick examples all over the world and even when I look at these 2 properties in cities like Barcelona & Dublin, you might feel the house in Vancouver is a bargain compared to these:-). We own property around 1 hour and 2½ hours away from these places and would get the feeling it's impossible to buy if we focus on these prices and locations.
Barcelona:
Apartment: https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/93162984/
House: https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/94028355/

Dublin
House: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...lin-13/3451560
Apartment: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartme...blin-4/3561004

Although it might seem impossible, there are still maybe alternatives in Canada.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 5th 2021 at 9:46 am.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Houses are assets and investments. That’s how people use them. QE and below zero real returns on bonds or saving accounts make all the other assets attractive. Which is why housing prices are up across the world rather than just in Canada. Clearly it’s sustainable at the current interest rates. The proof of the pudding is in the fact that people are buying houses.

Things may change if/when interest rates go up. Or prices might go up as the government pours more taxpayer money to incentivize buyers.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I wouldn't say there is no hope and it just depends on your priorities. You can pick examples all over the world and even when I look at these 2 properties in cities like Barcelona & Dublin, you might feel the house in Vancouver is a bargain compared to these:-). We own property around 1 hour and 2½ hours away from these places and would get the feeling it's impossible to buy if we focus on these prices and locations.
Barcelona:

Dublin

Although it might seem impossible, there are still maybe alternatives in Canada.
It's not necessarily a case of making choices about priorities - it really depends on your ability to be employed at a decent rate of pay to be able to get a mortgage in the first place - priorities when you are living on the bread line are few and far between.. - eat or pay bills / rent! Additionally, there is zero job security in Canada and without a few pieces of paper (i.e. certificates) it's often difficult to find or achieve employment at a rate of pay that would enable you to obtain a mortgage to purchase property in many cities. Those who are in receipt of disability can't easily move to another Province where prices may be lower (not necessarily affordable) because the disability payments are Provincial, not federal.

Examples in Canada are relevant to people who live here.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Job security depends on individual and his/her contract. It's very expensive to terminate an employee, at least in provinces like Ontario and when compared to the US.

In Europe - it depends on the country and, again, on the individual. Many people are forced into temporary employment contracts which provide zero security.

Ease of obtaining supporting pieces of paper for a mortgage obviously depends on ones employment but don't they have mortgage lenders who charge higher rates but are very "flexible" on requirements?
Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Job security depends on individual and his/her contract. It's very expensive to terminate an employee, at least in provinces like Ontario and when compared to the US.
It's not usual to employ people anymore, it's more common to put them on zero hour contracts, so the cost of firing is no longer a concern. I recently had someone ask not to be hired as an employee but as a contractor specifically because he wanted to buy a house and house buying really isn't an option for employees (I'd say these days but that was already true when I bought my first house). I was amused that the house is to be in Brantford or Woodstock which apparently are now part of the GTA.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not usual to employ people anymore, it's more common to put them on zero hour contracts, so the cost of firing is no longer a concern. I recently had someone ask not to be hired as an employee but as a contractor specifically because he wanted to buy a house and house buying really isn't an option for employees (I'd say these days but that was already true when I bought my first house). I was amused that the house is to be in Brantford or Woodstock which apparently are now part of the GTA.
The plural of anecdote isn’t data. Statscan has data. The percentage of independent/self-employed contractors in Canada is 15%. The rest are employees. And I am going out on a limb here but employees make up the most of those buying houses in Canada.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:17 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Barcelona:

Dublin

The property examples from Barcelona are on par with Vancouver prices I'd say. The tiny apartment is probably even more expensive than a similarly priced apartment here in downtown Vancouver. However, the properties in Dublin seem cheaper in price for a similar property here. I saw a new-built house in Point Grey, Vancouver in 2013 on an average size lot with houses on either side going for over 10 million CAD. The unrestricted ocean view must have added a few million to the price.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's not necessarily a case of making choices about priorities - it really depends on your ability to be employed at a decent rate of pay to be able to get a mortgage in the first place - priorities when you are living on the bread line are few and far between.. - eat or pay bills / rent! Additionally, there is zero job security in Canada and without a few pieces of paper (i.e. certificates) it's often difficult to find or achieve employment at a rate of pay that would enable you to obtain a mortgage to purchase property in many cities. Those who are in receipt of disability can't easily move to another Province where prices may be lower (not necessarily affordable) because the disability payments are Provincial, not federal.

Examples in Canada are relevant to people who live here.
Therein lies the problem "it's often difficult to find or achieve employment at a rate of pay that would enable you to obtain a mortgage to purchase property in many cities." It often means you might have to give up the city life and move to a more boring place to be able to afford a home. For some it might mean a longer commute and for others it might be the case that you are better off changing jobs. Two people working in finance might not be able to afford a home in the city, they could work for a fast food restaurant in a smaller town and might be better off financially.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Therein lies the problem "it's often difficult to find or achieve employment at a rate of pay that would enable you to obtain a mortgage to purchase property in many cities." It often means you might have to give up the city life and move to a more boring place to be able to afford a home. For some it might mean a longer commute and for others it might be the case that you are better off changing jobs. Two people working in finance might not be able to afford a home in the city, they could work for a fast food restaurant in a smaller town and might be better off financially.
That used to be the case, but since the advent of more remote work following covid, even smaller towns are seeing extreme rises in property prices because more people are earning city-salaries while living in more rural areas.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

In Europe - it depends on the country and, again, on the individual. Many people are forced into temporary employment contracts which provide zero security.

Ease of obtaining supporting pieces of paper for a mortgage obviously depends on ones employment but don't they have mortgage lenders who charge higher rates but are very "flexible" on requirements?
I have just looked up the statutory termination notice periods in Ontario. They don't appear to be very expensive at all. I accept that they may cost the employer more than a similar employer in the US but a week for every year employed isn't particularly expensive. I also accept that some employment contracts may provide for a longer period.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 7:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The plural of anecdote isn’t data. Statscan has data. The percentage of independent/self-employed contractors in Canada is 15%. The rest are employees. And I am going out on a limb here but employees make up the most of those buying houses in Canada.
I'd be surprised if first time buyers in the GTA were employees. Even if two employees live together and each earn $120,000, it's not enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.