Rant-car dealerships

Old Dec 22nd 2020, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rant-car dealerships

So i've been casually looking at a new car in the last few months, and i'm just fed up of the way car dealerships operate. Not sure if it is the same in UK/Europe as i've only ever experienced it here, but honestly....

1. Pushy salespeople that want to pressure you into signing a deal right away and do not want to work with the client
2. The above, but just rude..
3. Brand name dealerships that should in theory be trustworthy not following OMVIC regulations
4. As a car enthusiast how are you supposed to decide whether you like a vehicle / like the way it drives based off a 15 min test drive around the block, especially in pre-covid times where the salesperson would sometimes come on the test drive and natter in the back seat while your trying to drive.
5. Why can I get a 0.99% loan on a $75k new vehicle but if I want to buy the $40k used version of the same one it is 7% or at BEST 4.7% and costs more then the new one over time, but if you sell the new one in 3 years you will be upside down in depreciation and not be able to pay off what you owe.
6. Dealerships that refuse to allow test drives of certain vehicles-I ran into this when shopping for my first vehicle they refused to allow me to test drive the one I wanted, ended up buying the competing vehicle from another manufacturer. This time around have people not wanting to allow a test drive but have no equivalent vehicle - back to point 4 WHY would i buy a vehicle without being able to drive it.

Seriously to point 4 there should be an easy way to provide a credit card hold or cash deposit, or $500 charge to take the car for the weekend as a trial period. Saves you from buying something and having buyers remorse, being unable to return the vehicle or get your old one back, etc.

Crikey...the whole experience makes you feel sour and just want to throw in the towel drive your current vehicle into the ground until it literally disintegrates lol. Rant over.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 9:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rant-car dealerships

Pushy sales people...I think it depends on the make of car you are looking at. As buying a car is a huge investment...we usually ask for a loaner for the weekend...or at least 24 hrs. The higher end dealerships are more open to accommodate this. If this is not an option...we walk away.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
So i've been casually looking at a new car in the last few months, and i'm just fed up of the way car dealerships operate. Not sure if it is the same in UK/Europe as i've only ever experienced it here, but honestly....

1. Pushy salespeople that want to pressure you into signing a deal right away and do not want to work with the client
3. Brand name dealerships that should in theory be trustworthy not following OMVIC regulations
4. As a car enthusiast how are you supposed to decide whether you like a vehicle / like the way it drives based off a 15 min test drive around the block, especially in pre-covid times where the salesperson would sometimes come on the test drive and natter in the back seat while your trying to drive.
5. Why can I get a 0.99% loan on a $75k new vehicle but if I want to buy the $40k used version of the same one it is 7% or at BEST 4.7% and costs more then the new one over time, but if you sell the new one in 3 years you will be upside down in depreciation and not be able to pay off what you owe.
6. Dealerships that refuse to allow test drives of certain vehicles-I ran into this when shopping for my first vehicle they refused to allow me to test drive the one I wanted, ended up buying the competing vehicle from another manufacturer. This time around have people not wanting to allow a test drive but have no equivalent vehicle - back to point 4 WHY would i buy a vehicle without being able to drive it.

Seriously to point 4 there should be an easy way to provide a credit card hold or cash deposit, or $500 charge to take the car for the weekend as a trial period. Saves you from buying something and having buyers remorse, being unable to return the vehicle or get your old one back, etc.

Crikey...the whole experience makes you feel sour and just want to throw in the towel drive your current vehicle into the ground until it literally disintegrates lol. Rant over.
The aspect that bugs me is having to give a review/ranking etc after the sale is complete a week or two later. I gave them 7 or 8 out of 10 on most aspects and then just before I was about to press send on the email survey it said something like 'if you aren't going to put 10/10 for all sections, please contact us and see if we can make your buying process better. I sent it in as is, and then got a phone call from the dealership 'why didn't you give us all 10's.' I explained what wasn't completely to my satisfaction and then they went into this long tirade etc. I told them I was buying a car, not marrying them and they didn't meet all of my expectations and if they wanted 10/10 on everything they could have provided the snow tyres that came with the car (car was registered in Quebec) that would have been helpful (car was purchased in Janaury) and a couple of other things. This went back and forth and I told them if they didn't stop ranting I would head to google reviews etc. Needless to say, I blocked their phone # and email address and never had service done there.

I have a relative through marriage here who is a car salesmen and he tells me all sorts of stories.

I would think that car dealerships are not a growth industry and the # of people wanting/needing cars, especially in urban areas, is declining year on year. A sleazy industry as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather just know the price, agree to it, and buy the car. All of the 'let me talk to my manager', and the upselling that goes on drives me crazy.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 10:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Our last test drive was for 3 hours, could have had it longer if we had wanted too. I'm sure off all varies with the dealership, company ethos etc.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 11:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are buying a new vehicle, do your due diligence before you go to the dealership - rent the same model for a weekend.. drive to your hearts content.. see if you like it or not.. then negotiate
If buying a 2nd hand one, run checks on the vehicle before purchase.. check the 'blue book / black book value' (drive a rental of the same model to see if you like it first) https://www.kbb.ca/ - https://www.canadianblackbook.com/ then see what rate of interest banks or other lenders would be if you got a car loan - and use that to negotiate a better deal.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 22nd 2020 at 11:06 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2020, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

1. It is part of the conditioning process. They are trying to get you into the mindset that you need them more than they need you by using the fear of missing out. The most powerful weapon that they have is trying to get you to make a decision there and then. If you leave for whatever reason you are less likely to buy any given vehicle. It depends on what you mean by working with you. Remember that their only goal is to get as much money out of you as possible. This is purely a business transaction for them. The emotions are all on your side of the table. This means a tidle wave of bs. They will tell you that you will not get a better deal unless you sign now etc Bamboozling you a pile of numbers and then boiling it all down to an easy "low" payment. You think that you are getting a good deal and most of the time you are not. Remember that you have the ultimate power. If you are not happy walk away. There is always another car.

4. You don't. It's an illusion it is all part of the same thing in 1. You can test drive it as many times as you like and don't worry about if its half an hour or more. Do this several times and at different dealers of the same brand. They need to sell, you do not need to buy any particular car.

5. The only 2 numbers that you should be interested in is i ) the total price. What will it cost for you to drive away. Always deal in this price. ii) The cost of ownership over the period of time you want to own it.
Forget 0% etc it's all bs. There is no such thing. You will just pay the interest in the price. You will always be better off getting a loan away from the dealer and paying "cash". In the small print it will say representative apr. That is the equivalent interest you are paying. It might seem low but in most cases in reality it isn't because people trade in their old car. You have just given them a few thousand dollars for convenience. They then tick a few options boxes and pay through the nose for things that you don't really need or can get cheaper aftermarket. This rarely makes financial sense. Only trade as a last resort. Buying a new vehicle only makes financial sense if you plan on keeping it for a very long time and it is a reliable brand. Bit daft worrying about the interest rate if you're spaffing 35k in depreciation up the wall every 3 years. A 3 year old one with average mileage and service history will nearly never cost you more unless something catastrophic happens outside of the warranty or you have abused it. You appear to have not factored in the depreciation.
In a similar point always look to buy a car that the dealer has parked on the lot. You will always get a better deal than on that than one they have to order.

6. No idea 😛

4. You should never buy a vehicle that you have not driven a few times and a few different versions of at different dealers.
Old Dec 24th 2020, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

In the summer I was walking past a Dodge dealership with my daughter and was just pointing out a Ram 1500 Sport to her and saying how much I liked them when a salesman popped out from between the rows of cars. After a quick chat he asked if I'd like a test drive in the Ram, I said I would but maybe another time thinking well it would be a quick ride down the dual carriageway to the roundabout and back followed by a 2 hour intensive sales pitch. He was kind of pushy but in a very pleasant way so I ended up agreeing to the test drive. He took a photo copy of my UK licence and that was the sum of the formalities, within 10 minutes he had pulled out a brand new Ram 1500 Sport - in my chosen colour, put trade plates on it and said take it till Monday if you like ( it was a Friday) then oh no we're shut Monday for a holiday bring it back Tuesday! We did and had a great weekend. Covid has prevented our planed move to Canada but there is only one place I will be spending my money on a new car when we do finally get there.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 2:02 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has just bought a car from a dealer. I'm pretty sure she bought the 1st one she saw, from the 1st dealer she went to and she probably didn't haggle. I won't question her about that as she is excited and it's the 1st time she's done something like that. I would have loved to have gone with her to support her but I am a few Provinces away. In fact if we were in the same Province she would be driving something far cheaper sourced by her Dad and financed by bank or Mum.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 12:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From time to time I wonder if it would be nice to have learned to drive. Then I read this thread and think not.

And that's without even considering knowledge of parts and maintenance.

Nope. Not for me.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
From time to time I wonder if it would be nice to have learned to drive. Then I read this thread and think not.

And that's without even considering knowledge of parts and maintenance.

Nope. Not for me.

I just take the car into a mechanic who does the maintenance and knowledge part...ha ha

The scheduled maintenance is easy, its all nicely laid out in the owners handbook.

Tires have been the most expensive thing to replace for us so far in 7 years of having our car, doesn't help the car needs some off size tire not readily stocked and those who do charge a premium, always check to see if tire size on car is standard commonly available...lesson learned.

I do dread the day our car has a major issue, its getting older and time and cars don't get along well in my experience. I can do basic stuff like spark plugs, battery replacement, and if I had a house, I could do oil changes as well but that isn't possible in apartment nor as any other car repairs, but I don't know how to do things like starters, or engine stuff or major stuff which is expensive, usually once there is an expensive fix, I sell the car and someone who knows how to fix it, does so, the resells for a decent profit.

Other than Vancouver, I have never lived anywhere that had good enough transit, and I like to be able to take little road trips, for example last week going to Vernon, wouldn't be possible without a car.

I also don't fancy 1-2 hour one way bus rides or longer, which are not rare in smaller city's in BC. Example today what would be a 30 minute drive is taking 90 minutes to 2 hours 29 minutes on transit.

Sometimes I hate paying the cost of a gas and insurance, but then time is also valuable and taxis expensive, so I'd likely end up paying just as much in taxi fares as I do in average monthly cost of having the car.

But Kelowna area is very sprawled out, the Kelowna area (which includes West Kelowna and surrounding area) is 1,121.57 sq mi so not exactly conducive to walking, biking or transit efficiency.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 25th 2020 at 5:40 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 7:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The scheduled maintenance is easy, its all nicely laid out in the owners handbook.
A handbook...that's already too much for me.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A handbook...that's already too much for me.

Well it is incredibly thick but then its double the size of the US handbook for the same car since it has to be in English and French.

When we bought our car we didn't have a grand number of choices of dealers or models, and limited price range, and had to buy used, we took our car on a 10 minute test drive, the sales person came with us, then we test drove a Ford Fiesta and Toyota Yaris, the Yaris was very cheap feeling inside, I liked the Ford the best but it had double the kilometers of the Mazda so we got the Mazda, the Toyota also had less leg room on the passenger side front and while the Mazda 2 is still too small for me to be comfortable, it was better than the Toyota, small cars will never have sufficient leg room for tall people.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 25th 2020 at 7:49 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2020, 7:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've purchased the last three brand new vehicles on my own. The last one was in 2013. Being retired, I don't drive much and only have 43K on the car.

Anyway, I couldn't decide on the model. The salesman was helpful without being pushy and I viewed all three models. Almost decided on the one I wanted when I said, no, I wanted the one on the floor with all the bells and whistles. Okay took her for a test drive through city streets and he told me to take her on the thruway. I refused. Not my car and I-95 on the Connecticut/New York state line is too busy with tractor trailers and I felt uncomfortable.

Back to the showroom and down to hard ball. I told him what I was will to pay. He came down $1500. Not enough. He then started talking with my husband and I interrupted. Excuse me, he is not buying the car. I am. It will be me putting down the down payment and taking out the loan without any assistance from my husband. That got him. We started all over again. I stated my price and we haggled. Yes, I caved and paid $500 more than I wanted but he had come down $2250.

With my down payment two days later, I shaved 3 percent points off the loan which I paid off 18 months ahead of time. Not sure if they were happy doing business with me.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if some of your issues are related to your age? Not fair, I agree, but possibly more liability for the dealership to allow a 21 year old to test drive a high performance car. I have never had issues with pushy salespeople, I just won't tolerate it and I think it shows. The last vehicle we got, the guy was absolutely brilliant. We wanted a less popular model (regular cab F150 with 8 ft bed, absolutely no bells or whistles). They didn't have one in stock and there were very few of them in Ontario, the dealership found one 500km away and sent someone to fetch it. We needed it to move house with and they said that if it didn't arrive in time for the move, they would lend us a truck which we could keep until ours arrived then they would drive the new one to us and switch (no charge for any of that). It arrived with a couple of days to spare, they accepted a personal cheque to pay for it as we couldn't get to a bank for a draft and even added a few extras for free. All of this knowing we were moving 5 hours away so no hope of repeat business. So don't give up, there are good dealerships out there, when you find one, stick with it.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

I usually do as much negotiating online via email before walking in. I get a few broker quotes for the model (1-2% above invoice) I'm interested in, print them out and email the dealer and ask them to match or beat it. Usually works and dispenses with the 4+ hours wasted playing mind games with the 'mysterious' sales manager/Wizard of Oz behind green curtains lol.

Fyi - last year, I got an estate/wagon version of a mainstream brand, and everyone at dealer treated me like I just got something exotic...big lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.