Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I've never actually had to deal with a human at CRA, so no experience with that. They do seem helpful when I missed a T4 a couple years ago, and updated my tax return for me, and issued another refund.

Can't say they have ever made any issues with my taxes or credits, I file they do their thing and 99% of the time it all matches correctly. I have at times forgotten about a T4 as I have so many jobs some years, I can't remember everywhere I worked, but income is always too low to owe, just increases the refund amount.

I did try to apply, but their website wont work for me, keeps loading the same page over and over, seems they might need some IT workers too.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Apart from the child benefit fiasco experienced by a few they're pretty good aren't they?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 18th 2019 at 9:40 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

2nd time in 8 years this Edmonton apartment building has caught fire. 200 people affected.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6182422/s...f-wGbQIGzPL1KA

In online Vancouver groups people often post about how to make friends, the answers are always the same, go to the gym, find sports group or hiking group, seems unless your into the gym, sports and outdoors, one stands little chance making friends here......lol

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 18th 2019 at 9:57 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 10:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
2nd time in 8 years this Edmonton apartment building has caught fire. 200 people affected.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6182422/s...f-wGbQIGzPL1KA

In online Vancouver groups people often post about how to make friends, the answers are always the same, go to the gym, find sports group or hiking group, seems unless your into the gym, sports and outdoors, one stands little chance making friends here......lol
Must be some charities that need volunteers and make some friends through there? Aquarium related? Environment?
Old Nov 18th 2019, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

I have tried to volunteer at the aquarium, its so high demand though lots of competition, I think they get way more people wanting to volunteer then they need. Currently they are not accepting volunteers, looks like possibility in January though. I did volunteer for awhile at a homeless shelter a few years ago, it was interesting, mostly young people though earning volunteer time for school. Guess I need to find a place that has more adults and less students. It's just not easy to make friends at 40, most have kids and careers and not looking for friends, they have busy lives.

My wife has some friends, but she rarely sees them these days, they are all professionals and have kids, kids though seem a good way to make friends, everyone I know with kids seems to have more friends then they know what to do with...lol

It doesn't help that I am introvert and have mental health issues, I am not exactly what most are seeking in friends, mental health issues alone make it difficult, which is why so many with mental health issues end up alone.

Originally Posted by Shard
Must be some charities that need volunteers and make some friends through there? Aquarium related? Environment?
Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell Bristol, that's so People can't really drink those? Where do they get the toes from?!
Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Bloody hell Bristol, that's so People can't really drink those? Where do they get the toes from?!
You'd think it would be one of the cheaper parts, really.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried to volunteer at the aquarium, its so high demand though lots of competition, I think they get way more people wanting to volunteer then they need. Currently they are not accepting volunteers, looks like possibility in January though. I did volunteer for awhile at a homeless shelter a few years ago, it was interesting, mostly young people though earning volunteer time for school. Guess I need to find a place that has more adults and less students. It's just not easy to make friends at 40, most have kids and careers and not looking for friends, they have busy lives.

My wife has some friends, but she rarely sees them these days, they are all professionals and have kids, kids though seem a good way to make friends, everyone I know with kids seems to have more friends then they know what to do with...lol

It doesn't help that I am introvert and have mental health issues, I am not exactly what most are seeking in friends, mental health issues alone make it difficult, which is why so many with mental health issues end up alone.
I see so many opportunities on this page for you to volunteer and learn new skills, JS. Citizen Committees, such as the Renters Advisory Committee, the Botanical Garden and Conservatory volunteer roles include admin; thrift stores, helping out at art, music and movie clubs and centres. The thing about volunteering, apart from learning new skills, is you interact with other volunteer and professional people of all ages.

I do see your most favoured vollie place there, the Vancouver Aquarium, no wonder they get inundated with vollies as it looks like a wonderful place! https://www.getsetconnect.ca/volunteer.html
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:02 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker
Images of body snatchers won't leave me all day now.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Images of body snatchers won't leave me all day now.
There must be morgue where they come from.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 1:39 am
Account Closed

Yeah the aquarium can be quite competitive to get a volunteer spot. The good places to volunteer tend to be like that. The shelter I did volunteer at a few years back could barely find enough, they relied so heavily on volunteers and didn't have enough that it was simply way more work then it was worth, was more work then my actual paying job was at the time, and I caught a skin disease that took months to get rid off.

I'll take a look at the link, ideally looking for something with short shifts 1-2 times a month.

I see so many opportunities on this page for you to volunteer and learn new skills, JS. Citizen Committees, such as the Renters Advisory Committee, the Botanical Garden and Conservatory volunteer roles include admin; thrift stores, helping out at art, music and movie clubs and centres. The thing about volunteering, apart from learning new skills, is you interact with other volunteer and professional people of all ages.

I do see your most favoured vollie place there, the Vancouver Aquarium, no wonder they get inundated with vollies as it looks like a wonderful place! https://www.getsetconnect.ca/volunteer.html
Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My nan died. The last thing she said to me was doubt everything, be kind to people and don't get fat.
so sorry to hear this. Your Nan was BEs community Nan. Condolences.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 6:08 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

This is a tragic story..
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50479476
There's a maxim that goes 'anyone can build a bridge that'll last forever but it takes an engineer who'll build a bridge that'll just last forever'.
In this case it's clear that there are people out there who think that engineers joke when they say 'this bridge is good for 19 tonnes' and not for 50 tonnes. It's tragic that a young girl was killed because some stupid idiot chose to ignore warnings.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Would be nice if strata's were not so strict about bikes. I like riding a bike for exercise but no bikes allowed in the building, but there is no available room in the bike storage rooms, (they cost $100 a month to begin with) and locking it on the street, well probably wouldn't last the first night...lol
Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:33 pm
Concierge

Would be nice if strata's were not so strict about bikes. I like riding a bike for exercise but no bikes allowed in the building, but there is no available room in the bike storage rooms, (they cost $100 a month to begin with) and locking it on the street, well probably wouldn't last the first night...lol
You're not allowed to take your own bike into your apartment?? That's not strict, that's the owners being bloody dictators!
Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

It's a pretty common restriction in place by strata's. Theory is bikes bring in moisture and dirt and increase wear and tear on the public areas.

Living in strata owner or tenant you have to live by the rules the strata council puts in place or face consequences such as fines.

You're not allowed to take your own bike into your apartment?? That's not strict, that's the owners being bloody dictators!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.