Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 2nd 2019, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I finally succeeded in a way to kick the sugar soda habit.

I didn't cut out carbonated drink completely, I just add a sugar free water flavor enhancer to plain carbonated water, seems like an okay compromise, no sugar, still have bubbles and some flavor.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 2:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I didn't cut out carbonated drink completely, I just add a sugar free water flavor enhancer to plain carbonated water, seems like an okay compromise, no sugar, still have bubbles and some flavor.
Clever lad, that's a perfect solution!
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Carbonated drinks are ‘no list’ for people with GERD. Therefore reducing or cutting them out may help you healthwise J.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 7:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Baby steps. I always failed in the past stopping cold turkey.

But I havent had a sugary soda in a while now and am drinking more regular water. I would say I am drinking 2 or 3glasses of carbonated water on average and rest refular tap.

I have also adjusted diet in the last few months, mostly plant based now and no fast food at all.

I had to do baby steps to succeed and so far seems to be working.

No caffeine anymore either.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Carbonated drinks are ‘no list’ for people with GERD. Therefore reducing or cutting them out may help you healthwise J.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 3rd 2019 at 7:13 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

But I havent had a sugary soda in a while now and am drinking more regular water. I would say I am drinking 2 or 3glasses of carbonated water on average and rest refular tap.

I have also adjusted diet in the last few months, mostly plant based now and no fast food at all.

I have eliminated peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, oranges/juice out of my diet. Those are things I ate most days, but are to be avoided if you have GERD. Coffee is another, I only have 1 cup and that is first thing in the morning. I have about 4 cups of tea per day, I really can’t exist without the traditional British cuppa.

I love water, I drink quite a bit during the day. It also help with weight loss. I’ve never been a lover of fast food, because I believe they contain all sorts of crap/mystery meat.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 1:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be easier to just go to diet sodas?

However, I like the flavour enhancers too. I add it to greek yogurt which make it beyond awesome.

The nirvana is to get to just plain water (of course) I'm still working on that one so will avoid preaching !
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 1:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 3rd 2019, 1:52 pm
Yo

I have eliminated peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, oranges/juice out of my diet. Those are things I ate most days, but are to be avoided if you have GERD. Coffee is another, I only have 1 cup and that is first thing in the morning. I have about 4 cups of tea per day, I really can’t exist without the traditional British cuppa.

I love water, I drink quite a bit during the day. It also help with weight loss. I’ve never been a lover of fast food, because I believe they contain all sorts of crap/mystery meat.
Poor you. What's GERD anyway?
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 3:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Well done that man!! That's a big step - and a great idea, still getting what you crave without the sugar and chemicals

Tea has a lot of caffeine (even decaf) so should be avoided with GERD apparently... are you getting withdrawal symptoms from lack of Caffeine and sugar?

Keep up the great work!

Originally Posted by Shard
Wouldn't it be easier to just go to diet sodas?

However, I like the flavour enhancers too. I add it to greek yogurt which make it beyond awesome.

The nirvana is to get to just plain water (of course) I'm still working on that one so will avoid preaching !
Diet soda is reportedly worse than normal soda! They seem to use artificial sweeteners like cyclamate, saccharin, aspartame or sucralose, instead of refined sugar. --- I've also been reading about the suggested link between fatty liver disease and soda generally..

Thankfully I've never enjoyed soda of any sort.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 3rd 2019 at 3:58 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Poor you. What's GERD anyway?
https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd...sease-gerd-1#1
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Well done that man!! That's a big step - and a great idea, still getting what you crave without the sugar and chemicals

Tea has a lot of caffeine (even decaf) so should be avoided with GERD apparently... are you getting withdrawal symptoms from lack of Caffeine and sugar?

Keep up the great work! )
The first few days I had some headaches and was tired/worn down but that only lasted a couple days.

I am lucky that I don't care for peppers, onions and the like and never a big fan of orange juice so that helps. I don't eat mint either, but found it surprising that mint was on the list, would not have been something I would have guessed.

Coffee has never been my friend so I was good there too....
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 6:37 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...Coffee has never been my friend so I was good there too....
When I was working I was on 5/6/7+ cups a day, when I stopped working, my 'need' dropped to zero.

I had a bad digestive spell about 10 months ago, doc said to re-introduce the coffee..

She's the boss, so I did, but to be honest... I'm now on 2 or 3 cups per week, and comfortable with that.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a lot of us have GERD!

I have one coffee a day, and that is a soy latte as I cannot drink milk OR black coffee, so soy latte is the compromise. I cut out sugar years ago, so that doesn't bother me. I no longer drink tea, only peppermint tea occasionally and a sleepy herbal one at bedtime.

Never really liked soda drinks, and haven't had any for around 30 years or so. I drink lots of water and cranberry juice. Orange or apple juice only if I absolutely have to, and never grapefruit juice because of a medication I'm on.

I don't eat fast foods, if I need to eat out I try to find a Japanese place ....... even the fast food sections in malls usually have at least one such place, either sushi or teriyaki.

We cook from scratch, and mostly using only fresh foods. We don't eat peppers, have onions only in very small amounts in "comfort foods", but I do have 2 mini tomatoes a day with my lunch.

We were taken to Swiss Chalet a couple of years ago, hadn't been to one of those in at least 30 years .............. it was awful!!!!

On the other hand, I had some St Hubert fried chicken last year when the train was very late getting to Halifax and the crew ordered boxed meals to be loaded in Moncton. That was pretty good, though I didn't eat anywhere near the half chicken that was in the box!!

Basically I eat moderately and small.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

If it wasn't for this stupid hiatal hernia I probably most likely would not have reflux issues, doctors say its caused by the hernia.

I find worst time of day for me is first thing in the morning when I have an empty stomach and take my thyroid pill, I almost always experience a reflux of the water, but the thyroid pills needs to be taken first thing on an empty stomach so guess I just have to live with it, if I eat first then drink water I am fine, just talking about regular old tap water.

I guess as the cough has gone away, as has the lump in my throat that maybe I am no longer having issues in my sleep.

Now I am working on losing the belly fat which is supposed to help the hernia and relieve symptoms. My goal is to try and not take the PPI long term and hopefully fix through diet and life style changes.

I am only about 15 pounds overweight so I don't have to lose a super ton of weight, and I think with the cutting of sugar and fast food, and eating mostly planted based foods, I can do it. I am eating a lot of beans, broccoli and eggs or oat meal for breakfast.

Using canned beans at the moment, but I think will start buying them dry as they are cheaper that way, just have to prep them in advance.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 7:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

On this date in 1862 Dr Richard Gatling patented the machine gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.