Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Stores here can't seem to make their mind up, Safeway used to have self check out, now they don't.

Interesting how some chains find the self check outs good, others had them and got rid of them.

New trend is to not take cash at self check out, so the stores have to have some human cashiers, not everyone has credit or debit.
The technology is changing too. The early self checkouts were fairly annoying (as Bristol's first cartoon highlights) but they seem to be getting better. Here the standard set up is a combination of traditional checkouts and then half a dozen machine checkouts with a staff member supervising (to sort problems). Over time I imagine the whole process will be automated (as with ATMs).
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:27 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The technology is changing too. The early self checkouts were fairly annoying (as Bristol's first cartoon highlights) but they seem to be getting better. Here the standard set up is a combination of traditional checkouts and then half a dozen machine checkouts with a staff member supervising (to sort problems). Over time I imagine the whole process will be automated (as with ATMs).
Similar set up here too- Having had Sunday Tesco home deliveries in the UK we had to step back a century and actually shop which was a right royal PIA. Snoop has been trying out the Internet shopping (of sorts) offered recently by Superstore. You order on line, as in the UK, get a time slot but have to go and pick up your shopping

It has quite a few teething problems and if many people take up this service, I think that they will struggle. At least it is a tiny step in the right direction.

Every supermarket should have self service checkouts, it is a no brainer, it at least gives you a choice, especially if you are just doing a quick shop.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Similar set up here too- Having had Sunday Tesco home deliveries in the UK we had to step a century and actually shop which was a right royal PIA. Snoop has been trying out the Internet shopping (of sorts) provided recently by Superstore. You order on line, as in the UK, get a time slot and have to go and pick up your shopping

It has quite a few teething problems and if many people take up this service, I think that they will struggle. At least it is a tiny step in the right direction.

Every supermarket should have self service checkouts, it is a no brainer, it at least gives you a choice, especially if you are just doing a quick shop.
We haven't become converts to online shopping yet, despite trying it a dozen or so times with different supermarkets. The service is very good, the websites and apps are fantastic, but once we miss some low priced slots we get back into the habit of in person shopping. I also think you can end up spending as much time on the screen doing the shop as popping out to the shop. It has a place in the modern retail offering, but I don't think bricks and mortar will fade any time soon.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:42 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't become converts to online shopping yet, despite trying it a dozen or so times with different supermarkets. The service is very good, the websites and apps are fantastic, but once we miss some low priced slots we get back into the habit of in person shopping. I also think you can end up spending as much time on the screen doing the shop as popping out to the shop. It has a place in the modern retail offering, but I don't think bricks and mortar will fade any time soon.
Living in rural Norfolk, it was a life saver timewise, we both had busy lives and the nearest supermarkets were great so didn't waste money by doing it online.

You just have to think ahead a little to get the better time slots. It depends on your priorities, proximity to stores etc. I wouldn't say that you spend as much time on screen as your favourites are stored to just reorder - Snoop seemed very efficient and just seemed to take a few minutes to compile and submit her order, certainly way less than to have to physically shop in store. Online shopping typically doesn't suit the elderly......

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 11th 2016 at 8:51 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They do and they are an improved version of the handhelds they offered a couple of years ago. I've only recently started reusing them as the queues were getting horrendous. It now amazes me that so few other customers avail themselves of this timesaver (although I can understand in the cases of new immigrants, such as Novo).
Combining this post with your suggestion that the check out people in England are a bit robotic (which is fairly ironic when compared to hi-teK payment systems), you can't generalise such stuff by country.

The canny lads and lasses on the tills in Newcastle are a joy to interact with. I was never addressed as pet, love or darling in Sobeys.

And that's just the lads.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:50 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Living in rural Norfolk, it was a life saver timewise, we both had busy lives and the nearest supermarkets were great so didn't waste money by doing it online.

You just have to think ahead a little to get the better time slots. It depends on your priorities, proximity to stores etc. I wouldn't say that you spend as much time on screen as your favourites are stored to just reorder - Snoop seemed very efficient and just seemed to take a few minutes to compile and submit her order, certainly way less than to have to physically shop in store. Online shopping typically doesn't the elderly......
Yes we have all the faves stored, and in fact the online populates the list with things that you buy anyway, it certainly can be very efficient, especially if you know what you want in advance. Our neighbours all shop online, I think we are the odd ones out.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:55 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Combining this post with your suggestion that the check out people in England are a bit robotic (which is fairly ironic when compared to hi-teK payment systems), you can't generalise such stuff by country.

The canny lads and lasses on the tills in Newcastle are a joy to interact with. I was never addressed as pet, love or darling in Sobeys.

And that's just the lads.
Am sure it's a bit more joyful up north. It's not so bad down south, actually, about half the checkout staff are chatty, and the Waitrose staff are exceedingly polite.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 9:33 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I rather liked it that the English and Scottish soccer teams both told FIFA exactly where to go and wore poppies on their shirts during the match today.

It's not often that the Scots and English agree on anything!
Old Nov 11th 2016, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like ordering food online, especially produce, I am very picky on produce and can't imagine someone else getting it right..lol

Plus they don't seem to offer the 50% off stuff online.

And I find it a pain to order online, takes longer trying to search the site, not finding what your looking for, or they sell something in store but not online.

I like online shopping, but for food, I will always go into the store.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:02 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I rather liked it that the English and Scottish soccer teams both told FIFA exactly where to go and wore poppies on their shirts during the match today.

It's not often that the Scots and English agree on anything!
+ lots in spades
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...It now amazes me that so few other customers avail themselves of this timesaver...
I never buy so little for it to be quicker.

There's an art to packing and while many checkout staff don't have it, many do. Thing is you can't put stuff in your cart, as you shop, in the order it's going to be packed efficiently. At the self checkout there's really not much room and even if there was it's quicker to have someone 'ringing' the stuff through while you unload it and then it's already half packed by the time you get it out of the cart.

It's no wonder more people use the quicker method.

Of course, in Waitrose one probably can't afford to buy that much anyway.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:11 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I never buy so little for it to be quicker.

There's an art to packing and while many checkout staff don't have it, many do. Thing is you can't put stuff in your cart, as you shop, in the order it's going to be packed efficiently. At the self checkout there's really not much room and even if there was it's quicker to have someone 'ringing' the stuff through while you unload it and then it's already half packed by the time you get it out of the cart.

It's no wonder more people use the quicker method.

Of course, in Waitrose one probably can't afford to buy that much anyway.
With the handheld scanners you can pack as you shop. Scan and then place the item in the bag. And the time saving is from not having to queue behind several people at the checkout (the scan tills are empty). And of course, bag packing is not standard service in Britain!
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Had to fill out and extensive form yesterday for a background check and verification that had to go back to Jan 2011.

Oh was that ever fun...lol I've moved so many times in the time frame with some places only 2-3 months, and I didn't exactly keep detailed records of each and every address.

Google maps saved the day...
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

With the handheld scanners you can pack as you shop. Scan and then place the item in the bag.
It's a bit more difficult when you're shopping for 4 or 5 and maybe you're buying 20 2l of pepsi in addition to everything else.

Incidentally, what security is there for checking if unscanned items with those things? Do they just assume everyone scanned everything?

And the time saving is from not having to queue behind several people at the checkout (the scan tills are empty).
They're often busy here- usually because something has held customers up.

I find the stores here are very good at opening tills to avoid waits. And none of that "I can help someone over here" nonsense where someone quick off the mark gets to queue jump They come and get you

And of course, bag packing is not standard service in Britain!
Not from the usual checkout person? I'm sure it was when I was still there but more often than not I was packing for me on a bike and it had to be "just so" and I did it myself.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:33 am
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Incidentally, what security is there for checking if unscanned items with those things? Do they just assume everyone scanned everything?

Not from the usual checkout person? I'm sure it was when I was still there but more often than not I was packing for me on a bike and it had to be "just so" and I did it myself.
Not much security on the scanner. Although you need to sign up to the scanner service with a loyalty card or credit card, so the transaction is not anonymous.

Usual checkouts don't pack. They offer it to have someone come to help pack, but most people can't be faffed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.