Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 5th 2019, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If it wasn't for this stupid hiatal hernia I probably most likely would not have reflux issues, doctors say its caused by the hernia.

I find worst time of day for me is first thing in the morning when I have an empty stomach and take my thyroid pill, I almost always experience a reflux of the water, but the thyroid pills needs to be taken first thing on an empty stomach so guess I just have to live with it, if I eat first then drink water I am fine, just talking about regular old tap water.

I guess as the cough has gone away, as has the lump in my throat that maybe I am no longer having issues in my sleep.

Now I am working on losing the belly fat which is supposed to help the hernia and relieve symptoms. My goal is to try and not take the PPI long term and hopefully fix through diet and life style changes.

I am only about 15 pounds overweight so I don't have to lose a super ton of weight, and I think with the cutting of sugar and fast food, and eating mostly planted based foods, I can do it. I am eating a lot of beans, broccoli and eggs or oat meal for breakfast.

Using canned beans at the moment, but I think will start buying them dry as they are cheaper that way, just have to prep them in advance.
I also have a hiatus hernia BUT it was not diagnosed until 2 years ago when I had an endoscopy ......... it had not shown up on any previous endoscopies between 2003 and 2012. I have had GERD since about 2002.

Sooooooooo , in my case, the hiatus hernia could not have caused the GERD.

OH was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in 2014 but probably had it for about 10 years before that looking back at his symptoms. He does not have GERD.

Our only advice for dealing with the hiatus hernia is to eat regularly but more often, have small meals, and chew food thoroughly.

Neither of us takes any medication for the hernia, while I take 2 different medications for the GERD.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason the hernia was found was because I started having acid reflux issues so the GP had a barium swallow done which saw it.

Prior to August I was only taking tums and OTC acid reducers as needed but then in August started a PPI everyday but I dont take anything else for it only other medcation is for thyroid.

Originally Posted by scilly
I also have a hiatus hernia BUT it was not diagnosed until 2 years ago when I had an endoscopy ......... it had not shown up on any previous endoscopies between 2003 and 2012. I have had GERD since about 2002.

Sooooooooo , in my case, the hiatus hernia could not have caused the GERD.

OH was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in 2014 but probably had it for about 10 years before that looking back at his symptoms. He does not have GERD.

Our only advice for dealing with the hiatus hernia is to eat regularly but more often, have small meals, and chew food thoroughly.

Neither of us takes any medication for the hernia, while I take 2 different medications for the GERD.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 3:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A little rant

My cardiologist sent me for blood work yesterday after I refused to take a medication that stops the intestine from absorbing cholesterol -- I refused because a) if this was the UK my levels would be considered 'normal' and b) because the drug can cause liver damage, particularly when used with a statin (which I have to take). I just got my results - and I'm flagged as having liver damage (presumably from the statin + asa aspirin I have to take daily), so I'm glad I refused it! Test results also show that my LDL is below 2 and my HDL is almost 3 - just what the doctor ordered ... a great improvement on 6 months ago. I take a low potency statin and eat a LOT of oatmeal (and avoiding certain foods), which he told me wouldn't change anything! Appointment today, I shall take great delight in rubbing my results in

2 weeks ago he wanted me to take a beta blocker to slow my heart rate down whilst I had a cardiac CT scan - my resting heart rate is between 47 and 55.. for the scan they need it below 60. The dosage he wanted me to take the day before and the morning before (both at home) was 10 times the dosage they give in the UK for the procedure.. again, I refused point blank to take it... knowing that I already have issues with slow heart rate.. they told me at the hospital it was just as well I didn't take it as chances were that my heart would have stopped completely!

Damn doctors trying to force medications that aren't even needed.. sometimes it feels like they are brainwashed. I had one great one in hospital who listened to what I had to say after I had refused to take a high potency drug which I had already had an adverse reaction to (I had spent 2 days researching) and read the research papers I had found - and agreed with what they said and said I shouldn't take it.. but I also had one cardiologist who told me if I didn't have injections into my stomach to shut down all cholesterol production I would die.. I found another cardiologist, lol.

Rant over

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 5th 2019 at 4:01 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've got mesh repairs for hiatus hernia, ventral hernia, and umbilical hernia, and when I get heartburn I just take a tums. It could be worse.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My throat got a clean bill of health today, no longer red or swollen like it was in August.

Doctor said it looked beautiful...lol

Worst part of the whole thing is the stuff the doctor sprays up the nose, the actual thing the doctor puts up the nose and down into the throat isn't too bad, feels odd, but no pain, but man that spray tastes so gross.

If the Squamish Nation approves this development it will be a good addition to the much needed housing Vancouver needs, and appears they are thinking about building 6,000 units vs the original 3,000 units.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/11...h-development/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 5th 2019 at 7:42 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:55 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of Dr's, OH needs another operation, got a date yesterday for pre admitting or something for February, his work buddy asked if he was on the cancellation list, OH called the surgery back and asked to be put on it. Why is this not automatic? OH is in pain, to the point it does at times affect work, definitely affects sleep. Lets hope he gets a cancelled appointment quickly. Thankfully it's nothing life threatening/altering, he spent 7 months this year waiting for surgery too, poor old bugger is falling apart.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Fingers crossed.

The only reason I can think of as to why putting on cancel list isn't automatic and by request is to keep the list manageable, but who knows. I have had good luck with calling in weekly when waiting for things as well vs waiting for them to call and have gotten in sooner for procedures.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
On the subject of Dr's, OH needs another operation, got a date yesterday for pre admitting or something for February, his work buddy asked if he was on the cancellation list, OH called the surgery back and asked to be put on it. Why is this not automatic? OH is in pain, to the point it does at times affect work, definitely affects sleep. Lets hope he gets a cancelled appointment quickly. Thankfully it's nothing life threatening/altering, he spent 7 months this year waiting for surgery too, poor old bugger is falling apart.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if any of you are taking cannabis oil - especially now that it's all legal in Canada. It's wonderful for reducing pain, so check it out if you haven't already.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 4:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of Dr's, OH needs another operation, got a date yesterday for pre admitting or something for February, his work buddy asked if he was on the cancellation list, OH called the surgery back and asked to be put on it. Why is this not automatic? .
I suppose people could be given that as an option but there are likely to be others who couldn't be ready at short notice due to their work or domestic situations even if they'd like to shorten a wait.

They could be wasting time making contact with people who couldn't do it.

Old Nov 6th 2019, 5:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I suppose people could be given that as an option but there are likely to be others who couldn't be ready at short notice due to their work or domestic situations even if they'd like to shorten a wait.
They could be wasting time making contact with people who couldn't do it.
They might only notify people if there's room on the list for their procedure. We have an office here that calls people when getting on a cancellation list is an option. It's on my speed dial, lol.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 8:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I wonder if any of you are taking cannabis oil - especially now that it's all legal in Canada. It's wonderful for reducing pain, so check it out if you haven't already.
I gave cannabis oil to my dog for his arthritis. I would use it if my neck pain becomes more than an irritant. Not sure it would help in husbands case.9
Old Nov 6th 2019, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Prices of products are interesting sometimes, you would think products that have to be shipped long distances would cost more vs products made in Canada.

Example: our dogs treat's, its just freeze dried beef liver. This particular product is produced in New Zealand with New Zealand beef liver and then shipped to North America.

The freeze dried beef liver from Alberta is $3 more in price.

Bags are the same size. I always get the New Zealand one since it's cheaper, but you would think it would cost more...
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

James Holzhauer is on Jeopardy tonight!
At first break he isn't in the lead.
I take that back, of course he is by about $1800.
Up $4800 at the end of single Jeopardy.
He's killing it, up about $20,000 and a runaway going into final.

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 6th 2019 at 11:51 pm. Reason: correction, doh
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
James Holzhauer is on Jeopardy tonight!
At first break he isn't in the lead.
I take that back, of course he is by about $1800.
Up $4800 at the end of single Jeopardy.
He's killing it, up about $20,000 and a runaway going into final.
when I was 10 my teacher (Mr Brackley) was on ‘Bandit’.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 1:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
when I was 10 my teacher (Mr Brackley) was on ‘Bandit’.
Don't know that one. What was the idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.