Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question for the locals in Calgary!

Question for the locals in Calgary!

Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:24 am
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice
Default Question for the locals in Calgary!

Hi everyone,

My wonderful man proposed last week and as we both love Calgary very much we have decided to get married there in 2010! I know its ages away but I'm looking at places to get married! I have searched the web and found a few nice places but was wondering as locals if you could help me out with some ideas of where to get married? I have found the Wedding Pavillion and a few hotels but not much else. We don't have a massive budget but would like somewhere we can get married and have the reception also.Plus it would be a non religous ceremony.
Thanks in advance for any help x
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the locals in Calgary!

I am not a local in Calgary, but I just wanted to say congratulations.

One idea could be getting married at home (assuming you are there by then). We had our reception at home in the UK. It was something I had always wanted to do and it was really wonderful. You can spend as much or as little as you like. We did alot ourselves and saved loads on what we would have spent going elsewhere.

Last edited by destinationnovascotia; Apr 8th 2008 at 9:51 am.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:41 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Are Judy and Steve_P invited?

Congrats BTW!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverbug
Hi everyone,

My wonderful man proposed last week and as we both love Calgary very much we have decided to get married there in 2010! I know its ages away but I'm looking at places to get married! I have searched the web and found a few nice places but was wondering as locals if you could help me out with some ideas of where to get married? I have found the Wedding Pavillion and a few hotels but not much else. We don't have a massive budget but would like somewhere we can get married and have the reception also.Plus it would be a non religous ceremony.
Thanks in advance for any help x
Congratulations ! You can get married in a great number of places. Try this link.

You could always get married by one of the lakes and then have a small reception in a hotel in the mountains.

http://www.kunelius.com/index.php?page=rates
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:41 am
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77
Are Judy and Steve_P invited?

Congrats BTW!

Thanks! Depends if they behave themselves
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:29 am
Calgary Sept 2008

Originally Posted by smelly
Congratulations ! You can get married in a great number of places. Try this link.

You could always get married by one of the lakes and then have a small reception in a hotel in the mountains.

Thank you Smelly - That sounds a good idea actually!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you both

Smelly's idea sounds fab - we got engaged on a beautiful, quiet autumn day in 2002 at Lake Louise, the mountains & lakes are such a romantic setting for such occasions as weddings & engagements I think

Let us know what you decide - have fun planning
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your engagement, Silverbug.

Here's an article called Some Unusual and Beautiful Wedding Venues In And Around Banff, Alberta. That article recommends holding the reception at Bear and Bison Country Inn in Canmore. That would be a good venue for a small reception.

If you want a larger reception, Nakoda Lodge is good value for money. A colleague of mine got married there. One of the benefits of Nakoda Lodge is that you can plan to have the ceremony by the lake, and then go into the building for the reception. But, if it's raining, as it was during my colleague's wedding ceremony, you can still hold the ceremony indoors. Luckily it stopped raining after my colleague's ceremony, and they went out onto the dock that juts out over the lake to get their wedding photos taken. Nakoda Lodge is located in the Morley area, fairly close to Canmore.
x
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Depends if they behave themselves
Well I guess that means my name is crossed off the guest list.

There's no way I can promise that.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Paws is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!!

I noticed Smelly sent you the link to Rick Kunelius's site. He married us a couple of years ago up at Lake Minnewanka (prettier than it sounds!), up in Banff. He's really great and I would wholeheartedly recommend him.

When we were researching our wedding we were only really looking at Banff and learned that in Alberta you can marry anywhere - it doesn't have to be licensed.

I know a couple who married at the wedding chapel in Calgary and another couple who will be marrying there next year and they really like the place.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and have a great wedding day!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

My wonderful man proposed last week
Awwww - Congrats to you both

(Just remember - it all starts when you sink into his arms and ends with your arms in the sink )
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly

I can personally recommend Rick - he married us out in the open near Lake Louise three years ago (anniversary yesterday) and will go anywhere, even ski down a mountain with you. If you don't mind others (tourists et al) being around, the Chateau at Lake Louise has a really lovely room overlooking the lake and glaciers where you could make your vows and have your reception.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:13 am
Calgary Sept 2008

Thank you everyone for all your ideas, thats given me loads to sit through and decide on!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:12 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - I just saw this thread....Congratulations!!!