Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Time To Take The Rose Coloured Glasses Off?

Time To Take The Rose Coloured Glasses Off?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:41 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Time To Take The Rose Coloured Glasses Off?

I think it may be time to concede defeat... First some background about this fight. In case you didn't guess I'm a Saskibum, born and raised. In 2000 went to England on a working holiday for 2yrs, Visa expired, got married not long after to a brit. Hubby then cam out for a visit to Regina, and was bribed, brainwashed or hypnotized to live in Regina! The thing is I think he actually likes this place. He watches hockey, cheers for the Riders, developed a taste Tim's and talking about buying a boat.(This is another fight). All the while my dream of moving back to the UK and getting the holy grail of passports, the British Passport, is slipping further and further away. However I keep the dream alive, constantly point out the lack of decent curry and good beer! I used to tell him you could smoke in pubs over there but that has since changed. Hubby still won't budge, refuses to consider moving back to the UK or let go of buying a boat.:curse: Anyway, one of the sites that is not blocked at work is www.orange.co.uk where you can read news so I keep with events on the island. Every once in a while read about a stabbing or shooting and wonder should I give up, or is it just negativity? I'm not sure. I know one thing, he will be getting that boat over my dead body!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time To Take The Rose Coloured Glasses Off?

Originally Posted by gingnut
I think it may be time to concede defeat... First some background about this fight. In case you didn't guess I'm a Saskibum, born and raised. In 2000 went to England on a working holiday for 2yrs, Visa expired, got married not long after to a brit. Hubby then cam out for a visit to Regina, and was bribed, brainwashed or hypnotized to live in Regina! The thing is I think he actually likes this place. He watches hockey, cheers for the Riders, developed a taste Tim's and talking about buying a boat.(This is another fight). All the while my dream of moving back to the UK and getting the holy grail of passports, the British Passport, is slipping further and further away. However I keep the dream alive, constantly point out the lack of decent curry and good beer! I used to tell him you could smoke in pubs over there but that has since changed. Hubby still won't budge, refuses to consider moving back to the UK or let go of buying a boat.:curse: Anyway, one of the sites that is not blocked at work is www.orange.co.uk where you can read news so I keep with events on the island. Every once in a while read about a stabbing or shooting and wonder should I give up, or is it just negativity? I'm not sure. I know one thing, he will be getting that boat over my dead body!
Little old England is a fab country, we have history,culture some of it good great sightseeing and the loveliest villages you could ever hope to find,

sorry if you didn't want to hear that GN despite what lots of peeps say on here,we have Europe on our doorstop which i will miss but having said that there is no reason why we still can't holiday from there,

why are we leaving mainly for an adventure its the right time for us with the kids but also because its lost a lot of its Britishness,having said that i would not hesitate to move back if things don't work out im not running away from this country and i don't think you should give up if thats your dream, so why are you so set on him not having a boat surely if you have a house thats more of a commitment to stay than anything ?

What about you coming over for an extended holiday with the kids and then OH joining you for the last week or something like that ?

Personally i think you should try here for a while but thats just my opinion,
whatever you choose lifes short and you have to get what you can out of it
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Bricasjac will become famous soon enoughBricasjac will become famous soon enough

Hi

Coffeepot i couldn't have said it better
All of the above of course

We are all ready for an adventure so Calgary here we come.
I hope to return to England one day, no running this end just that there is a huge world out there to explore...
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:05 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
its lost a lot of its Britishness,
What do you mean by this? I don't see how anything could be more British than Great Britain.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:34 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... getting the holy grail of passports, the British Passport ...
What is so special about a British passport?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
What is so special about a British passport?
I guess it means you can go and live anywhere else in Europe? Or does that require citizenship?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:47 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I guess it means you can go and live anywhere else in Europe? Or does that require citizenship?
ok, i might be really stupid - or miss the british humour, but...
how can you get a country's passport without being citizen of that country???
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by lof
Oh, I'm sure there are a bunch of different scenarios. Like one of your parents being a Brit.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:09 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby then cam out for a visit to Regina, and was bribed, brainwashed or hypnotized to live in Regina! The thing is I think he actually likes this place. He watches hockey, cheers for the Riders, developed a taste Tim's and talking about buying a boat.

He sounds far gone. Has he started wearing a baseball hat the wrong away around and clucking, "hey, effin' eh" yet?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:20 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Oh, I'm sure there are a bunch of different scenarios. Like one of your parents being a Brit.
my understanding of that scenario is that you would be a british citizen by descent...

ok, i'm not only stupid and have no sense for british humour - my english dictionaries (online and the ones on the bookshelf) are unable to give me a hint about the matter as well. languages! *sigh*
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby then cam out for a visit to Regina, and was bribed, brainwashed or hypnotized to live in Regina!
Hi gingnut - who was responsible for the bribery, brainwashing and hypnotism?! Was it your good self? And are you regretting this hugely now?

I don't know the solution - would hubby consider a home near water in the UK where he could also dream of his new boat?

Good luck
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:22 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Personally i think you should try here for a while
I'm not sure what you mean by "here." Since your profile says you're in the UK, I assume "here" is the UK. If I understood it correctly, that was the whole point of gingnut's post. She wants to go to the place that, from her position in Saskatchewan, is "there." Her "there" is your "here," namely, the UK. But her British husband loves Saskatchewan, and wants to stay there (or here, as the case may be).

Wasn't that what happened to poor manghams, but in reverse? British wife moved to Canada with Canadian husband. If I remember correctly, she liked Canada and would have preferred to stay. But Canadian hubby missed the UK, and they moved back to the UK.
x
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:24 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lof
The original poster, gingnut, is a Canadian who is married to a Briton. If her husband was willing to go back to the UK and take her with him, she could get permanent residence (or whatever they call it there) and eventually citizenship. Once she had British citizenship, she could of course get a British passport.
x
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:02 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Rose coloured glasses - hmmmmmmmm,

The other days Judy's post about Italy reminded of all the the things the UK has on it's door step........however due to the general feel of the place with crime etc I am not overly excited about going back.

However, on a law course which I have been taking, focusing on youth crime, there have been very interesting statistics shown, about the disproportinate reporting of youth crime, and how biased it is....that's what's keeping me going anyway.

I think there are lots of good and bad wherever you go and after a controversial run down of the things that I won't miss about canada, there could be a list just as long about the UK. Let him have his adventure, he may grow out of it/ go through it and be ready to move back under his own steam soon enough.

The more I think about it, the more I realise this is, in fact what happens sometimes to people, they go have their adventure and go home again to friends and family - who after all are what life's about - eh?

Just a thought
Mrs Miggins x
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I'm not sure what you mean by "here." Since your profile says you're in the UK, I assume "here" is the UK. If I understood it correctly, that was the whole point of gingnut's post. She wants to go to the place that, from her position in Saskatchewan, is "there." Her "there" is your "here," namely, the UK. But her British husband loves Saskatchewan, and wants to stay there (or here, as the case may be).

Wasn't that what happened to poor manghams, but in reverse? British wife moved to Canada with Canadian husband. If I remember correctly, she liked Canada and would have preferred to stay. But Canadian hubby missed the UK, and they moved back to the UK.
x
I know it didn't work for the Manghams, but if she has a dream surely she has as much a right to realise that dream as he has of being in Canada.

Its just like all of us we are after something more, an adventure a different view of life, for some it doesn't work out it may not for us when i see so many people coming back here it makes you wonder about trying so hard to get there but we still go ahead with the hope it will work for us.

Yes i am in the UK thats why i said try here, there are a lot of Americans here where i live and they all want to stay ? so why not Gingnut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.