Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pro's and cons of receiving PR visa

Pro's and cons of receiving PR visa

Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pro's and cons of receiving PR visa

We recently received our visa's and are going to St. Stephen today to flagpole so we are feeling a little more laid back about the process and able to feel humour again. I was thinking of all the advantages of our current situation but suddenly all of them have another side to them.

Pro - after 3 years we finally have our visa's

Con - we only have 3 weeks to land and I am working every weekend so we have to drive all the way to St Stephen and back in 1 day after a night shift.

Pro - we can now get a SIN for our children and put them into slave labour to keep us in the style to which we would like to become accustomed.

Con - now we live in Canada the kids do so many activities they probably won't have time to work until they are about 30!

Pro - I am now longer on a work visa I can quit my job anytime I like.

Con - the whole ****ing process has cost so much I will probably have to work until I die.

Pro - we have found so many fun things to do (sailing/skiing/kayaking etc) since we lived here.

Con - we spent so much on new toys we can't afford the time off to use them (well maybe we do a little).

There must be lots more that others could add. Overall though, we have not visited the UK since we left almost 2 years ago and really have no desire to do so. Despite the con's, we wouldn't swap our new lives for anything.

How about you?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:05 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pro's and cons of receiving PR visa

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We recently received our visa's and are going to St. Stephen today to flagpole so we are feeling a little more laid back about the process and able to feel humour again. I was thinking of all the advantages of our current situation but suddenly all of them have another side to them.

Con - we only have 3 weeks to land and I am working every weekend so we have to drive all the way to St Stephen and back in 1 day after a night shift.

Pro - we can now get a SIN for our children and put them into slave labour to keep us in the style to which we would like to become accustomed.

Con - now we live in Canada the kids do so many activities they probably won't have time to work until they are about 30!

Con - the whole ****ing process has cost so much I will probably have to work until I die.

Pro - we have found so many fun things to do (sailing/skiing/kayaking etc) since we lived here.

Con - we spent so much on new toys we can't afford the time off to use them (well maybe we do a little).

There must be lots more that others could add. Overall though, we have not visited the UK since we left almost 2 years ago and really have no desire to do so. Despite the con's, we wouldn't swap our new lives for anything.

How about you?
Actually you could get your kids a SIN when you were on temporary work permit as I did.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:51 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia

How about you?
I would say that my pro/con list is identical to yours! We are waiting for our passports to come back.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Actually you could get your kids a SIN when you were on temporary work permit as I did.
You can't get a permanent SIN as temporary residents.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...sidence-Canada
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You can't get a permanent SIN as temporary residents.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...sidence-Canada
But you can get a SIN, which is what the OP said.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
We tried. We went to Service Canada on 3 separate occasions and they looked into it for us and the consensus was that the kids needed PR before they could have a SIN.