Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Apr 25th 2020, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and you men are more naive than I could dream of.
Very true !
Old Apr 25th 2020, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Kate behaved any differently from any girl who saw a man she liked, and took it as far as it would go once he noticed her, and they fell in love. I think she did once get fed up of waiting for him, and was strong enough to say "I'm not waiting any longer. You've got to make up your mind", or something like that.

Not many women would blame her for that. But they got back together, and it appears to be a strong marriage, though one can never tell what anyone else's marriage is like from the outside.

I well being at the University of Texas in Austin in the late 1960s, when marriage was the first thing on the minds of many young women ..... think how many British girls back then (and probably still) got married immediately they left school. The same thing happened on this side of the Atlantic.

What I saw at UT was slightly different. The majority of male students at that time were the sons of wealthy to extremely rich men in the oil and ranching businesses, so they were prime "marriage prospects".

Many of the female students went to UT in order to "catch" a "good" husband, where "good" = wealthy. So, they were never ever seen without being dressed to the nines, make-up and hair perfect (beehives in those days!), always in dresses, never trousers or shorts, even at 7 am making their way across campus to their first class of the day. The hot weather never seemed to affect them, make-up never ran, hair never looked less than perfect, dress never looked very creased.

They all aimed to be admitted to a sorority, especially a social sorority not a "brainy" one. After all, what man would want a brainy wife, especially if she was more intelligent than him? There would be floods of tears if they failed. The next best thing was to be accepted as a cheerleader for the football team, even though many of the males were a full sandwich short of knowing anything about anything except football, even though they all got a university degree by some unknown miracle

And, we won't even mention the lengths that they would go to "get their man". OH was the focus of one young lady who wanted a better mark.

We had a very good laugh about that!

But I did watch the antics that the girls would go to.

I see Meghan Markle as being that same sort of girl .......... picked her mark once, he no longer fit her desires so got rid of him. Then Harry came into focus, and wow, she had a friend who could arrange a "blind date". Harry was lost from day 1.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Do the Mountbatten-Windsor family have any credibility ? Not just Harry but the whole gang of Princelings and Princesses ?
Old Apr 26th 2020, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, I don't know about you but I loves me a touch of the crass materialism now and then and I can't run a personal services business without publicity. Those considerations are different only by degree.

I don't live a life of crass materialism every day, I don't have people to wait on me all the time, I don't exist solely to promote myself and my family. Neither, of course, does all of the Hollywood Elite (see George Clooney's remarks on Trump). The Trump family lives like that and so does the royal family. One can reasonably argue that moving from a life of sybaritic splendour to one of being a working actress is a huge leap toward normality. Not being in Harry's head, or knob, I can't say what motivates him to cut down on the freeloading but I can well see that, if you weren't born to royalty or generations of dolescum, it would be hard to adapt to joining them.
I think the concept of hypocrisy goes beyond poor Meghan not being able or wanting to follow the customs of the Royal family. Today I read that Meghan has been cooperating with two journalists about some 'tell all ' book, and one can just imagine her getting some digs in against members of the royal family- and hardly corresponds with their stated desire to live a more 'normal life'. Gets worse and worse, what next , a reality show ?
Old May 1st 2020, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

"Judge says claims that the Mail on Sunday were dishonest, stirred up trouble and had an anti-Meghan agenda could not form part of case"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...se-suing-mail/
Old May 13th 2020, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a problem with Meghan (she is really pretty and I enjoyed the early seasons of suits) but this pandemic thing has not helped them. The RF, and the Cambridges in particular, are totally storming it atm.

(I don’t know why the bold/italics thing is happening...,please fix it if you can)

Last edited by Siouxie; May 13th 2020 at 2:15 am. Reason: Fixed :)
Old Aug 20th 2020, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

abstractprojection is an unknown quantity at this point

Meghan and Harry look considerably happier then Wills and Kate.

However penning a book entitled 'Finding Freedom' with a cover that looks like it's written by Sheryl Sandburg or Michelle Obama (women who have achieved extraordinary things) before actually doing anything beyond make a post on Insta was a bit premature and screams up their own backsides. Covid was extremely poor timing, and thinking that Canada would even want them presumptuous.

I expect they're now angling for some mega bucks advocacy roles with NGOs and charities that don't actually do anything but 'raise awareness'. Which is essentially exactly the same 'work' they'd do as Royals just not for 'free'.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Has it really been August since anyone said anything?

Meghan wins her privacy case against the Mail on Sunday

The Duchess of Sussex has won her privacy case against the Mail on Sunday after a judge gave summary judgment in her favour over the newspaper publishing extracts of a private letter to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Has it really been August since anyone said anything?

Meghan wins her privacy case against the Mail on Sunday
Harry who ?
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Harry who ?
and Meghan who?
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
and Meghan who?
Do you think in (ahem) due course (over the next decade or so) Australia will reconsider its desire for a constitutional monarch ?
Old Feb 11th 2021, 4:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you think in (ahem) due course (over the next decade or so) Australia will reconsider its desire for a constitutional monarch ?
There was a huge push to become a republic towards the end of the 20th century, triggered by the Governor General (Queen's Representative) sacking the Prime Minister. A referendum was held but 'no' won by around 10%. An Australian referendum needs a double majority, ie the majority of votes in a majority of the 6 states, plus a majority of total votes.

The issue still pops up from time to time, but for most people it seems to be a 'non issue'.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 4:24 pm
Yo

There was a huge push to become a republic towards the end of the 20th century, triggered by the Governor General (Queen's Representative) sacking the Prime Minister. A referendum was held but 'no' won by around 10%. An Australian referendum needs a double majority, ie the majority of votes in a majority of the 6 states, plus a majority of total votes.

The issue still pops up from time to time, but for most people it seems to be a 'non issue'.
I see. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 5:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the constitutional monarch of Australia (in typical irreverence) was Dame Edna.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 5:54 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker
I thought the constitutional monarch of Australia (in typical irreverence) was Dame Edna.
No contest between Dame Edna and Liz, Possum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.