Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Mar 31st 2020, 12:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Maybe in a few years he will be posting on BE, incognito in the "how to renew your UK passport from abroad" thread!! Just as a larfff what do you think his Username would be.
Combined names as some do.
Megs'n'Arry
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:10 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Combined names as some do.
Megs'n'Arry
"Where to find proper sausages in Skidmark, Alberta Los Angeles?"
Old Mar 31st 2020, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Does not appear Harry and Meghan had plans to even ask the US Govt to pay for it according to their statement, so really just Trump tweeting without knowing anything which is his usual behavior.

But not entirely sure how to take your post, would you have expected the US to provide security had they asked for it?
No way, Jose!

I meant more in terms of respecting and admiring the Queen, but not them!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 4:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I like to follow the royal family and their work but celebs , for example the Beckhams, have never interested me really.

This couple are no longer on the UK Royal payroll so should be free to do & go as they wish . Make their own way, just as per the Beckhams do.

There would not be any sort of case for the USA to pay for this couple's security & I really cannot see why this thought has even arisen. There is no affiliation . It is not a commonwealth country. The Queen is not the USA's head of state.
Whilst the couple lived in Canada and whilst Harry was on the royal payroll ( civil list) then yes, there would be a contribution to his security and that of his family by Canadian tax payers . That would be alongside the costs to the UK taxpayer . The cost to the UK or Canadian taxpayer would only be in relation to security. When royals do their overseas tours the host country in question does pick up a goodly amount of the tab after all but the bulk comes from the Sovereign Grant ( not a cost burden to the UK taxpayer) to the civil list for the royal work undertaken.

IMO and it is only that , the UK taxpayer will be picking up the major cost of this couple's security for the forthcoming year. I base that on the news published & that of the comments on this couple's own website that HM The Queen has put in place a one year open door policy for the couple or her grandson to possibly return to the fold if they so wish. A cooling off period. A time of transition and re-adjustment . It doesn't make logical sense then that certain safeguards would therefore be suddenly pulled from this young man. There may well be a financial adjustment to aid the couple from the collective coffers of certain senior royals but I sort of doubt it would come to much. In my mind, funding any part of their security so they can live a lifestyle that was not of the royal family doesn't seem to fit with how the royals themselves conduct their affairs.

This couple have enough spondoodles to sort their own affairs and costs so they will get there with that in the end if that is what they both want.

My beef is only that they don't cost any taxpayer money and that the UK Royal family is not somehow pulled into celeb status through association and default.

Given the profile of the husband to the wife one would assume that all I's and T's were more than dotted and crossed before any move was made. Perhaps Canada was simply a half way house. All pure speculation & who cares what visa the USA thinks to dish out for them, anymore than for any other high profile person.

Good luck to them and more so to him one way or another. He is the one that has emigrated away from all he has known and his extended family. Being in the military did not make him any more 'normal' than any of the other royals, despite what he may feel about that, so his learning curve will remain steep . I wish him fortitude , clear sight and a brave heart for so many of us know just how hard it can be to emigrate to a new strange land.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I like to follow the royal family and their work but celebs , for example the Beckhams, have never interested me really.

This couple are no longer on the UK Royal payroll so should be free to do & go as they wish . Make their own way, just as per the Beckhams do.

There would not be any sort of case for the USA to pay for this couple's security & I really cannot see why this thought has even arisen. There is no affiliation . It is not a commonwealth country. The Queen is not the USA's head of state.
Whilst the couple lived in Canada and whilst Harry was on the royal payroll ( civil list) then yes, there would be a contribution to his security and that of his family by Canadian tax payers . That would be alongside the costs to the UK taxpayer . The cost to the UK or Canadian taxpayer would only be in relation to security. When royals do their overseas tours the host country in question does pick up a goodly amount of the tab after all but the bulk comes from the Sovereign Grant ( not a cost burden to the UK taxpayer) to the civil list for the royal work undertaken.

IMO and it is only that , the UK taxpayer will be picking up the major cost of this couple's security for the forthcoming year. I base that on the news published & that of the comments on this couple's own website that HM The Queen has put in place a one year open door policy for the couple or her grandson to possibly return to the fold if they so wish. A cooling off period. A time of transition and re-adjustment . It doesn't make logical sense then that certain safeguards would therefore be suddenly pulled from this young man. There may well be a financial adjustment to aid the couple from the collective coffers of certain senior royals but I sort of doubt it would come to much. In my mind, funding any part of their security so they can live a lifestyle that was not of the royal family doesn't seem to fit with how the royals themselves conduct their affairs.

This couple have enough spondoodles to sort their own affairs and costs so they will get there with that in the end if that is what they both want.

My beef is only that they don't cost any taxpayer money and that the UK Royal family is not somehow pulled into celeb status through association and default.

Given the profile of the husband to the wife one would assume that all I's and T's were more than dotted and crossed before any move was made. Perhaps Canada was simply a half way house. All pure speculation & who cares what visa the USA thinks to dish out for them, anymore than for any other high profile person.

Good luck to them and more so to him one way or another. He is the one that has emigrated away from all he has known and his extended family. Being in the military did not make him any more 'normal' than any of the other royals, despite what he may feel about that, so his learning curve will remain steep . I wish him fortitude , clear sight and a brave heart for so many of us know just how hard it can be to emigrate to a new strange land.

Well said Bevs... and agree with you in that I hope the British royal family is not pulled into tacky celeb status now, which I fear it may, I think Canada was definitely a half way house.

Its a huge thing that he has done, obviously a lot more than what us "normal" expats have, and that was hard enough, he has an even steeper curve to climb, he obviously fell for Meghan hard..... just have a feeling he may regret it, hence the cooling off period the Queen gave him.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 31st 2020 at 5:12 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Well said, Bev.

I also hope that the rest of the Royal Family is not pulled into the celebrity world, and that Harry really does find his way through all this.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Well said, Bev.

I also hope that the rest of the Royal Family is not pulled into the celebrity world, and that Harry really does find his way through all this.
Will he be obliged to change his title to a symbol?
Old Apr 11th 2020, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Well said, Bev.

Graffiti in LA, according to the Guardian.

Last edited by jimf; Apr 11th 2020 at 6:36 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 7:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
LA Times has a firewall, but there's a story in there about how the LAPD have been chasing Banksy all over town and erasing his art while he's painting it to promote a movie. Do you think that's his work?
Old Apr 11th 2020, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
100% Los Angeles, I confirmed the location on google maps.

Old Apr 11th 2020, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
LA Times has a firewall, but there's a story in there about how the LAPD have been chasing Banksy all over town and erasing his art while he's painting it to promote a movie. Do you think that's his work?
I was able to penetrate the firewall, but can't find the story.

Old Apr 11th 2020, 9:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by sid nv
I was able to penetrate the firewall, but can't find the story.
oops, it was the other Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ce-02jpzksmnmw
Old Apr 11th 2020, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
He's been at it since February.

Old Apr 11th 2020, 10:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by sid nv
He's been at it since February.

I found an article finally, no attribution and it says it's been vandalised.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/graffiti-v...183600599.html

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 11th 2020 at 10:13 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
100% Los Angeles, I confirmed the location on google maps.
Out of curiosity where is the location, were you able to read the street sign?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.