Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by dave_j
Hot news.. Exclusive...
"Harry cuts toenails"
But wait, wait.... ... ... ... more news coming in....
"Clippings put in bin".....
And.....
"The big toenail needed two clips"
Wow, earth shattering or what..
Been reading the Daily Mail again have we

You forgot to mention the cost of the toenail clipper and how he accessorized his clothes to match the toenail clipper
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 1:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
For me the UK Royalty is a very important , non-political, constitution that has influences worldwide.
Anyway, you guys got the pair of them for the time being. You foot the bills, not the UK and let us all wish them well that they don't cost any one tax payer anything very shortly.
I have nothing against the UK royalty, I swore an oath to the crown. There's a lot of speculation over what Harry and Meghan might or might not do, and until they do something it's all just gossip. Personally, I hope they don't move to the US because I think they can be an asset to Canada, but that's not my decision.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 4:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I was badgered into looking at the DM on this story (lasted about 10 seconds). There seemed to be over 23,000 comments, mostly bile.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I am not jealous or petty I hope & I am pretty sure you don't think I am. My issue isn't over whether they go on to make successful celeb lives overseas or otherwise and earn a gazzillion mega bucks in the process. It is about something else which is not of celebs at all. It is about something more constitutional and fundamental. Standards.

As they wish to be independent of the UK Royal combine then that is fine. No quibble on that front. For me it was the half in / half out approach & then deliberately seeking to trade on a status, without seemingly looking for agreement or consent to do so & whilst not actually doing the job that the status brings. Rather , as I wrote elsewhere, as though it was felt there was an entitlment to the perks of a job whilst actually disdaining and not doing the job - at all.

For me the UK Royalty is a very important , non-political, constitution that has influences worldwide. With that comes protocols , standards and a certain amount of enshrined law , for want of a better word, to ensure that uncle tom cobbly and all does not seek to misrepresent nor trade on that.

If this young couple wish to live away from all of that, and that is their absolute right to seek that if that is in their hearts, then they should do so & it seems that they have been free to do so, despite money having been spent on placing them on a good footing for the job at hand. ( People lost their certain employment over the Frogmore House thing. UK tax payers are still funding 24/7 security atm & a royal , especially high profile Harry, will take a whole lot of security .)

What they should not do though is seek to grasp or clasp the coat-tails or wisps of the institution that they wish to distance themselves from. IMO of course. Independence means just that. They have his father who will fund them privately. They will work towards their celeb status. Meanwhile I would ask of them that they do not seek to make $ gain from that which they have chosen to eschew. The Royal status that they do not want. To that effect I am pleased that they may not use the brand name they chose before consulting with those whose brand it actually was by way of the work and time those people put in. I have noted the churlish comment on their brand name web page and it made me sad. It dis-values his family and the very people that have supported him all through his years as though they are nothing. They are not. They are his dear family.

On the subject of private jets. I really do not care. In many ways a shared /leased private jet is better for the environment that a multiple jumbo airline or ship sea trips or using multiple plastic bags without thought or buying huge amounts of cheap slave labour designer clothes , shoes , anything. It is not about the money privately spent on this , it is about the impact on the environment. Odds are a royal family member or a celeb with a huge high profile that speaks out or attends a green event will be doing far more to raise awareness and monies for good environmental practices than the cost of their travel . Certainly more than us average Joe Soaps or not so average Joe Soaps who spend on our enjoyments and maybe do little to nothing to offset that at all.

Anyway, you guys got the pair of them for the time being. You foot the bills, not the UK and let us all wish them well that they don't cost any one tax payer anything very shortly.
I largely agree with you, and particularly about their original plan which seemed to assume they could 'have their cake and eat it'. There have been reports that the door will remain open for a return to the UK and royal duties in the future though, if Harry has a change of heart.

Having said that, I'm a republican.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 4:28 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
Having said that, I'm a republican.
A brave man in the age of Trump...
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

A brave man in the age of Trump...
I did spell it with a lower case 'r'.........
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I was badgered into looking at the DM on this story (lasted about 10 seconds). There seemed to be over 23,000 comments, mostly bile.
I glanced at the DM,nothing particularly controversial there.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...-global-cause/

It looks like the Duke and Duchess didn't really get much of what they wanted, everyone likes to eat their cake and have it though so fair enough for them to have a go. There are probably lots of banks etc with large royalwashing budgets so they should be ok and may even be able to manage without the 25m GBP private income he receives from his father each year.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 4:07 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
I did spell it with a lower case 'r'.........
I was taking the mick...
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I was taking the mick...
I know...
Old Feb 24th 2020, 9:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
I have nothing against the UK royalty, I swore an oath to the crown. There's a lot of speculation over what Harry and Meghan might or might not do, and until they do something it's all just gossip. Personally, I hope they don't move to the US because I think they can be an asset to Canada, but that's not my decision.

FWIW I totally agree with you. If he no longer wishes to be royal then it would be great if he and his family would settle permanently in Canada . Why not. That could well be an asset to the country in many ways & maybe it would allow for other more minor royals to consider a spread of the wings to other commonwealth countries.

For me , as long as these ex royals do not cost the taxpayer money , and at the moment they do for security personnel, nor peddle on the idea of being UK royal when they chose to not be, then all is fine.

If they can be properly financially independent then that is grand in my book. The UK Met is currently funding their security and that is paid for by the UK taxpayer because of the royal status. That needs to stop. They or their extended family members should fund this privately with maybe perhaps being subsidised a bit with the agreement of the country of residence. After all , the lad served in the forces and so could be seen as a target. However he is no more a target than any of the UK Royals or other UK public figures.

In regard to the use of Royal as a brand name , I remain against that for the reasons I have given and I see from their website and from announcements that this will no longer be happening .
I think perhaps the pair have been given poor advice on how being Royal or a part of The Firm works. I am not sure why , as even old plobs like me know how it stands.The protocols and the like.

With regard to the comment made on their website about the minor royals and employment , they once again seem to have been given poor info or understanding of how things work. A minor royal may have employment in their own right. A major royal may not and certainly not use the term HRH or Royal. From what is written there it seems to allude that they are being treated differently to other royals. They are not. Sophie Wessex had the same choice.
I'm not too keen either on the comment on their site that the UK Royal family does not own the word Royal. It does not of course but the brand name was clearly a punt at having association with the UK Royal family which is simply not OK if one is choosing to not be Royal.

Still. It will all come out in the wash in the end. I hope for the best for this lad.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 10:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I just have faith in the royal family to work it out without my interference.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 11:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
I just have faith in the royal family to work it out without my interference.
I'm with you on this , not that we could interfere even if we felt such an urge. I shan't be writing to Her Maj . The Queen & senior Royals of The Firm will work through this quietly, as we are seeing ,alongside the UK & Canadian govt.

I still feel that this young couple have recd very poor unwise advice from somewhere or another. The whole thing should have been managed quietly and much better. That's just my opinion of course and as I think the UK monarchy is a good thing all round, I have an interest in it.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on this , not that we could interfere even if we felt such an urge. I shan't be writing to Her Maj . The Queen & senior Royals of The Firm will work through this quietly, as we are seeing ,alongside the UK & Canadian govt.

I still feel that this young couple have recd very poor unwise advice from somewhere or another. The whole thing should have been managed quietly and much better. That's just my opinion of course and as I think the UK monarchy is a good thing all round, I have an interest in it.
They seemingly stopped taking advice from any of the Palace or Royal Family advisors, not even their own, sometime after leaving the UK in November.

Instead, they talked to Meghan's agent who she had kept even after marrying Harry, and have been using US advertising agencies, managers and people who develop sites such as SussexRoyal. Plus taking advice from Meghan's celebrity friends, including our own (!) Jessica Mulroney, who is said to be developing .ca or .com sites for Meghan!

Of course, they don't know anything about how the Royal Family works, not even much about how the UK works!

So there's no wonder that a complete mees up has been made of the whole situation.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 9:39 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Anything that contributes to the debate about the purpose of the monarchy is fine by me. God knows why we need to fund so many of the damned parasites in the first place.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Anything that contributes to the debate about the purpose of the monarchy is fine by me. God knows why we need to fund so many of the damned parasites in the first place.
You should be pleased that Harry and Meghan have left the UK then?

The Queen has been anything but a parasite.... she has be an almighty asset to the UK and has tried her best to modernise the monarchy to stay with the times, including cutting who receives money from the civil list, which I agree with. She has devoted her entire life to her country. Well worth a pound year that the tax payer pays for her.

A little bit of sour grapes maybe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.