Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Apr 7th 2021, 6:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by abner
Yet kowtowing to a 'Royal Family' does?

I'd give you karma but I shan't . You actually made me giggle.

Old Apr 7th 2021, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Oh, bullshit.

Her fingerprints were all over John Kerr (the Australian G-G)'s dismissal of Gough Whitlam's Labor government in Australia in 1975.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...eased/12452616

When the letters were released on Tuesday morning, almost nobody was as excited to read them as historian Jenny Hocking, who has been trying to get access to the letters since 2016.
She said, upon first impression, the nature of the conversations between Sir John and Buckingham Palace were "concerning".

"A head of a constitutional monarchy must at all times remain politically neutral, and must remain above the politics of the day," Professor Hocking said.

"The really startling thing about these letters is the extent to which the governor-general, Sir John Kerr, is communicating with the Queen about exactly those issues — about political matters that are happening in Australia at the time, about options he may face."

"The Queen, in response, is engaging with that level of conversation at a very political level."

"You could not get more political than the crisis in the Senate that the government faced, and the eventual dismissal without warning of the elected government."
You’re a conspiracy theorist then? It is the belief that the Governor General acted alone and did not inform the Queen of his intention to fire the PM, for the exact reason of protecting the neutral political status of the monarchy, those letters confirm that. The Queen and the Governor General had conversations of the extent of his powers as Governor General, but other than that there is no proof the Queen was involved in firing the PM from the outset.

However you have brought up a great point about the monarchy in its role as head of state, and yet another reason why I think the monarchy should very much remain in place, and that is it acts as a very good safety net to protect the state from rouge governments…. All of Britain’s armed forces and the police swear allegiance to the crown not the government, so in theory in the event of a rogue dictatorship style government got into power, the monarch could depose it, which in today’s extreme left and right political landscape, I think is a very good safety net to have. My only concern is that Charles will undo all the good work done by the Queen with his voicing of his political opinions; personally I wish the crown would go straight to William, who I think will make an excellent monarch much the same as the Queen has been.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 2:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
...personally I wish the crown would go straight to William, who I think will make an excellent monarch much the same as the Queen has been.
Who will be Sheriff of Nottingham?
Old Apr 7th 2021, 2:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

However you have brought up a great point about the monarchy in its role as head of state, and yet another reason why I think the monarchy should very much remain in place, and that is it acts as a very good safety net to protect the state from rouge governments…. All of Britain’s armed forces and the police swear allegiance to the crown not the government, so in theory in the event of a rogue dictatorship style government got into power, the monarch could depose it, which in today’s extreme left and right political landscape, I think is a very good safety net to have.
I'm not sure if you're saying that the Whitlam government was a 'rogue government', but if you are saying that you're mistaken.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 2:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Who will be Sheriff of Nottingham?
Deputy Dawg for Sheriff!

Hell, Deputy Dawg for Head of State.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 2:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Deputy Dawg for Sheriff!

Hell, Deputy Dawg for Head of State.
Just the other day I said Dagnabbit and my stepdaughter didn't have a clue.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you're saying that the Whitlam government was a 'rogue government', but if you are saying that you're mistaken.
No not saying that, the Whitlam saga and how much it involved the Queen is debatable.

However I used that subject to make my point that the monarch as head of state is a very good safety net in todays extreme political landscape
Old Apr 7th 2021, 4:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was referring to British rogue governments, not Australian - such as the Whigs Revolution of 1688..

Now back to Meghan and Harry, perhaps?

Apparently he's completed his first Netflix program..
https://about.netflix.com/en/news/ar...rship-with-the
Archewell Productions Announces First Netflix Series, In Partnership With The Invictus Games Foundation

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 7th 2021 at 4:33 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2021, 4:33 pm
Concierge

No not saying that, the Whitlam saga and how much it involved the Queen is debatable.

However I used that subject to make my point that the monarch as head of state is a very good safety net in todays extreme political landscape
Appreciate your response Paul
Old Apr 9th 2021, 5:03 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
None of them do .
Nope. However at least there is some sort of system in place to elect a Pope and when he dies he is not replaced by someone in his bloodline.

The Royal Family essentially provides Britain with what politics would look like if we lived in Russia, Syria or North Korea had we not fought a civil war. The "Windsors" or whatever they want to call themselves need to go. I'd take an elected president over them all day and twice on a Sunday even if I didn't agree with their political views as at least they'd have some merit to be there.

Old Apr 9th 2021, 6:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'd take an elected president over them all day and twice on a Sunday .
I wouldn't.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 11:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

One fewer of them to worry about now.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 11:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Will they return for the funeral?
Old Apr 9th 2021, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Will they return for the funeral?
I don’t think she will dare show her face in the UK. She will use the pregnancy as an excuse.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 3:08 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One fewer of them to worry about now.
Just the Queen to go now and then the gloves are off. At least this time the republicans will have the support of those royalists who will can't bear the thought of Camilla in the big seat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.