Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Mar 7th 2020, 9:18 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

I’d give my eye teeth to step out in that dress and shoes in March...I tend in Canada to try to rock the thermal look and not get frostbite...it’s going to feel like -18 tonight.

Nice dress. A very good looking couple.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 9:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I’d give my eye teeth to step out in that dress and shoes in March...I tend in Canada to try to rock the thermal look and not get frostbite...it’s going to feel like -18 tonight. Nice dress. A very good looking couple.
We've been having Spring in Regina for weeks.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Like it or not, the crown goes to Charles. I think he's all right.
Sorry, I'll always think of him as Camilla's tampon.

Crude perhaps, but self-inflicted.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Agreed. Very balanced article on H&M and their travails.

It must be hard for Megan, a successful American actress to have to put up with the idiosyncracies of royal life and onging drudgery. She's faulted for being 'abover her station' in the UK, but I think she's entitled to change her mind on the so called Firm.
To any reasonable person the article is pretty balanced. If Callmearry and The Duchess want out so they can thrive rather than survive of course they are entitled to do that.
Old Mar 8th 2020, 3:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I couldn't be arsed to read it but Jan Moir has form for exactly that.
It's an assignation piece and it's childish but it's the Mail.

"Harry and Meghan seemed anointed with a faraway glamour, effortlessly exuding the kind of starpower that exceeds anything the House of Windsor could ever provide."

They haven't changed, they're the same well dressed couple as three months ago. We know of them because of the House of Windsor so this sentence fails in every clause.

"It was this boundary — the once impregnable chasm between celebrity and monarchy — that was the cause of so much friction between the Sussexes and their staff, between them and the Queen, and particularly between them and us, the bemused public"

We don't know what friction there may have been the couple and their staff so how can we attribute it to any cause?

"Before reaching their decision in January to step back as senior royals, the Sussexes were doomed to a second-tier life of ribbon-cutting, bouquet-accepting and hand-shaking with minor dignitaries from Dullsville — and relegated to doing so forever in the shadow of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge."

Obviously not. Ms. Markle is, if not a film star, at least a glamorous figure. The Cambridges are what kind people call homely.

"There are probably still some of Meghan’s fro-yos in the fridge. I imagine pristine hats left behind in their boxes to gather dust — she won’t be needing them any more — and wardrobes rustling with a forest of coathangers, each one mourning the delicious Ralph & Russo gowns and the excellent collection of coats that once hung there."

I assume Jan Moir to be a transsexual, "Jan" being the name so often chosen and so I'm unsure if this is direct jealousy or an attempt to incite jealousy, either way festering over someone else's wardrobe is quintessentially Mail.

"If the Sussexes leaving was a surprise, what they have left behind is even more shocking. In their wake an entire nation, a media industry and even the Royal Family themselves have been accused of institutionalised racism — mostly for having the temerity to criticise some of the more questionable decisions the couple has made."

The Mail is a racist publication and has been directly racist against Ms. Markle. That may or may not be wrong but there's no point pretending otherwise.

"The hysterical subterfuge around the birth of Archie "

It's not hysterical to say "go away" it's hysterical to be upset about not being able to pry.

I gave up at that point. I do wonder though, how does one come to be reading a piece in the Mail or the Daily Caller or similar publications, Do you take them seriously? Have you read then before and will you read them again? Do you know they publish any old crap in support of their political positions without regard for truth?
Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

btw - I thought the shift dress ,which has been around forever , was named as a Victoria Beckham design --> y'know , the celeb folks at the mega million pound ( security and all that ) wedding paid for by the UK taxpayer when they had no intention of remaining Royal.. Why that would be deemed a design I do not know. I still have a Simplicity dress pattern for that. Could have made mega $$

Ugh again.

*sigh*

You made me remember a long time back ..........

I also made a very similar dress from a Simplicity pattern back in the 60s. Only mine was shorter and didn't have the very short split at the back and I lowered the neck just a little bit because it felt more comfortable

In fact, I used that pattern for several other dresses, some without sleeves.

*sigh*
Old Mar 9th 2020, 10:13 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's an assignation piece and it's childish but it's the Mail.

"Harry and Meghan seemed anointed with a faraway glamour, effortlessly exuding the kind of starpower that exceeds anything the House of Windsor could ever provide."

They haven't changed, they're the same well dressed couple as three months ago. We know of them because of the House of Windsor so this sentence fails in every clause.

"It was this boundary — the once impregnable chasm between celebrity and monarchy — that was the cause of so much friction between the Sussexes and their staff, between them and the Queen, and particularly between them and us, the bemused public"

We don't know what friction there may have been the couple and their staff so how can we attribute it to any cause?

"Before reaching their decision in January to step back as senior royals, the Sussexes were doomed to a second-tier life of ribbon-cutting, bouquet-accepting and hand-shaking with minor dignitaries from Dullsville — and relegated to doing so forever in the shadow of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge."

Obviously not. Ms. Markle is, if not a film star, at least a glamorous figure. The Cambridges are what kind people call homely.

"There are probably still some of Meghan’s fro-yos in the fridge. I imagine pristine hats left behind in their boxes to gather dust — she won’t be needing them any more — and wardrobes rustling with a forest of coathangers, each one mourning the delicious Ralph & Russo gowns and the excellent collection of coats that once hung there."

I assume Jan Moir to be a transsexual, "Jan" being the name so often chosen and so I'm unsure if this is direct jealousy or an attempt to incite jealousy, either way festering over someone else's wardrobe is quintessentially Mail.

"If the Sussexes leaving was a surprise, what they have left behind is even more shocking. In their wake an entire nation, a media industry and even the Royal Family themselves have been accused of institutionalised racism — mostly for having the temerity to criticise some of the more questionable decisions the couple has made."

The Mail is a racist publication and has been directly racist against Ms. Markle. That may or may not be wrong but there's no point pretending otherwise.

"The hysterical subterfuge around the birth of Archie "

It's not hysterical to say "go away" it's hysterical to be upset about not being able to pry.

I gave up at that point. I do wonder though, how does one come to be reading a piece in the Mail or the Daily Caller or similar publications, Do you take them seriously? Have you read then before and will you read them again? Do you know they publish any old crap in support of their political positions without regard for truth?
A Jan Moir article about Prince Harry & Meghan reminds me of the old Oscar Wilde quote about the unspeakable chasing the inedible...

Old Mar 27th 2020, 6:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't look like Canada worked out for them.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I won't miss them and the costs associated, direct or indirect, for security that Canadians were paying for them. She has a history of moving on from people/places. Alienated herself from her father, brothers/sisters, ex-husband, friends she has used and spit out..the list goes on.

I think something like this was always in the cards. She wanted the Hollywood life and surely she must have been aware that living on the grounds of Windsor Castle would be a life full of protocal, endless ceremonies etc. The evidence is there from the past but she seemed to ignore it.

Let's be honest..Suits was hardly Masterpiece Theatre.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:58 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
No It wasn’t - but did it need to be? Would you like her more if she were a reincarnation of a female Gielgud? The sainted Princess Diana could barely count to twenty without the aid of her toes... we don’t need women who marry men from the royal family to be anything other than fertile

Why are we getting bent out of shape about this mob? Unless C19 has a terrible toll we won’t need them in the royal family.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 11:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I won't miss them and the costs associated, direct or indirect, for security that Canadians were paying for them.
It's not going to make any difference to me one way or the other. What are you going to do with the extra money?

She has a history of moving on from people/places. Alienated herself from her father, brothers/sisters, ex-husband, friends she has used and spit out..the list goes on.
Unlike posters here who all live within two streets of where they were born and who's friends and families are in agony now at no longer being able to hug them and tell them what a blessing it is to have met them. Not one among us has ever lost contact with anyone nor delighted in a feud because, we're British, and one is above that. All my ex-wives would agree, I'm sure, if someone tracked them down.

I think something like this was always in the cards. She wanted the Hollywood life and surely she must have been aware that living on the grounds of Windsor Castle would be a life full of protocal, endless ceremonies etc. The evidence is there from the past but she seemed to ignore it..
Oh yes, when she was a child she'd look at me with her doe likes and say, "Charlton Heston, that's who I want to live like, Mansion with guns. Adult diapers. No personal boundaries. I don't want to end up bored and looking like my horse like that Princess Wosshername" and yet, a Prince came along, she was swept off her feet, she swooned and then she was in a palace. Imagine her shock when she realised she was obliged to attend garden parties!

Yeah, I was standing the with that Rosencrantz the other night, same as most nights in our run and I sez "watch the telly do ya?" and he says "Guildenstern, not them legal soap operas, if it ain't endorsed by Viking River Cruises I'm 'avin' none of it. Got me image to think of, innit?"
Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yeah, I was standing the with that Rosencrantz the other night, same as most nights in our run and I sez "watch the telly do ya?" and he says "Guildenstern, not them legal soap operas, if it ain't endorsed by Viking River Cruises I'm 'avin' none of it. Got me image to think of, innit?"
Good responses and I can see your mind is still active despite being house bound. You could give John Cooper Clarke some competition.

I don't understand the fawning celebrity love for the Royal Family outside the UK and something about Megan just rubs me the wrong way.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looks like they managed to get out before the border closed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...ve-california/

Should be just the place to ensure Archie is protected from the media.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Looks like they managed to get out before the border closed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...ve-california/

Should be just the place to ensure Archie is protected from the media.
Rules and common sense don’t seem to apply to them,
Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Rules and common sense don’t seem to apply to them,
Not that they've broken any rules, of course. As for common sense I would have thought life on the island would be pretty nice, but I suppose it's not for everyone. I remember a BE poster whose husband had moved her onto the beach on Vancouver Island and gone on business most of the time and she hated it, wanted to go back to England and live on a canal boat or something. I've never been to Los Angeles but I don't think it would suit me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.