Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Canada Day in Olympic Plaza.
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_1482.jpg  
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:56 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I have this old sony dsc v1 - excellent little camera (has night vision and tonnes of manual settings) but the battery is shot (so the camera was replaced with another Sony point-and-click jobby (which is crap at taking fast shots with any decent level of detail)).

I've spent some of today daydreaming of constructing a small circuit with a photoresistor that will trigger the dsc v1 to take a shot when a burst of light is detected. Should be pretty straightforward if I can electrically tap into the shutter button.

But let's say, for simplicity, if I were to sit in the field with beer and bugspray, what manual settings should I be using to get the "creative" shots? Is it even worthwhile using the nightvision mode?

A couple of years ago the flies here were just amazing, there were hundreds of them and they seemed to set each other off (flashing) in a way that appeared to have some logic or pattern to it. I think that's what I want to try and capture but in a still, if that's possible.

I'll try that long shutter approach too, see how that turns out

Originally Posted by iaink
Good luck with that project!

Fly paper

I like watching the fireflies almost as much as I like the hummingbirds. One of those "Not a UK summer" things.
Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I think you'll need at least four things. A chair, a cable release, a tripod and patience. Also add a reasonably decent camera and mosquito repellant. You could also add a cooler of your favourite ale. When/if you spot fireflies just fire the release time and time again in the hope of getting something. It's preferable your camera setting is on Manual. If you can hold the aperture open (bulb setting) then as theyre flying around you could get the movement effect, like streaks. I've done it with reasonable success.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

A trip down to Bowness Park this morning.
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-any-fish.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-mallard.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-gosling.jpg  
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:39 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
A trip down to Bowness Park this morning.
you look cute in that outfit
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Are you calling Steve_P a duck? I thought he was quackers but you're just taking the biscuit.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Thank you, I thought so.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
Are you calling Steve_P a duck? I thought he was quackers but you're just taking the biscuit.
You only thought I was quackers?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:40 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

So HID dragged me to some over-priced shop called Anthropologie tonight that seems to be the Canadian equivalent of Reggie Perrin's shop Grot and they were selling a piss-stained, moss-covered and rotting old park bench for a $1000.00. I couldn't believe it so had to post it. I bet they saw them coming. Excuse the poor pictures as I have a crap phone.
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-image001.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-image025.jpg  
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
So HID dragged me to some over-priced shop called Anthropologie tonight that seems to be the Canadian equivalent of Reggie Perrin's shop Grot and they were selling a piss-stained, moss-covered and rotting old park bench for a $1000.00. I couldn't believe it so had to post it. I bet they saw them coming. Excuse the poor pictures as I have a crap phone.
We should look at this as an opportunity. Buy a load of piss-stained old benches in the UK, shove them in the spare spaces of containers shipped over by our newbie immigrant friends on here, and sell for a huuuuuge profit.

Lovely jubbly, job's a goodun
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:23 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It's just like you and me.......an antique.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:07 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

A couple from Canada day in Nanaimo & three from Victoria yesterday ...
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_1298.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_1317.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_1409.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_1405.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_1410.jpg  

Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
It's just like you and me.......an antique.
Never a truer word said than in jest, eh? I don't envy the young 'uns any more. It's a nightmare.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:12 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Some wildlife hanging around out in the NS wilderness today:

This is the vicious rabid skunk that kept following me around:

The vicious rabid skunk [that kept following me around] full of self-importance:

The vicious rabid skunk [full of self-importance] with "underpainting" filter applied:

Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:06 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:16 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

How cool is this?
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-bottle-painting.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.