Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Political opposition to provincial liquor control in Canada

Political opposition to provincial liquor control in Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political opposition to provincial liquor control in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
As I understand it, your case for the LCBO is that it makes a lot of money while, at the same time, limiting the supply of product. A product you don't like other people to have. I'd like to see the same applied to McDonalds and believe there's a better case for it. I'm indifferent to Tim Horton's.
I dont care if other adults have it, You can still have it cant you? I myself have it too. All that happens is you pay maybe a bit more, but it generates a lot of income for the province that they then dont have to raise through your personal taxes instead.

Any argument that applies to making alcohol cheaper or easier for kids to access would apply just as much to cigarettes I would guess. The only people that argue that cigarettes are too expensive are smokers AFAIK.

And FWIW I agree that there is a strong public health argument to be made for attempting to modify peoples consumption of junk food by using taxation, just as taxation on petrol and vehicle emmission in Europe has helped to drive people towards more environmentally beneficial choices there.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 3rd 2011 at 5:15 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
If we can roll decriminalizing drugs in there as well I'm in.
That's a separate argument and would muddy the waters in this debate. This is not about consumption, its about whether you trust of the invisible hand of demand and supply run our economy or you favour a more Stalinist centralized control approach.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Then tax it instead. Removing a monopoly does not mean less revenue. It probably means more as you get the same tax revenue without the cost of running government shops.

Even your 'won't somebody think of the children' position doesn't stand up to scrutiny. You mentioned $2 tobacco in your post above; however as far as I can see you can buy tobacco in corner shops, 7-11's, supermarkets etc. So we trust them not to give out ciggies to under age kids, but not booze? Where's the logic in that?
How much liquor would have to be sold for the taxation on it to fill the void left by the loss of $1.6B a year in LCBO profit. A lot more than the current demand is my guess. I am not convinced that overall consumption would increase enough to cover the gap, and I am pretty sure that increasing alcohol consumption is not generally going to make for a better society anyway, but that I guess is a side issue as we were talking about government income.

Removing the monopoly would mean less market share for the LCBO, so less buying power for them, and higher prices for them. It would mean that they would have to compete on price with businesses that would be trying to buy market share early on, so lower selling prices for the LCBO. Has higher costs and lower margins ever resulted in something other than less profit? there is no argument that removing the monopoly would cut booze prices, it would, but whether that is a good idea in the long run is whats at the heart of the question.

Bare in mind that 1.6B is just the profit, and doesnt include the government income from the existing sales tax and federal excise on those sales.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 3rd 2011 at 5:22 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
How much liquor would have to be sold for the taxation on it to fill the void left by the loss of $1.6B a year in LCBO profit. A lot more than the current demand is my guess.

Bare in mind that 1.6B is just the profit, and doesnt include the government income from the existing sales tax and federal excise on those sales.
Taxation is one thing, but that is abhorrent. If the government wants be in the business of buying and selling a consumer item it should not create an absolute monopoly to do so. Let it compete on the open market. It wouldn't allow monopolies in other areas yet it revels in this one. Its a very slippery slope.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

How much liquor would have to be sold for the taxation on it to fill the void left by the loss of $1.6B a year in LCBO profit.
Less than now.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont care if other adults have it, You can still have it cant you?
One can obtain almost anything in Ontario. Much of it is unreasonably expensive or inappropriately controlled; booze, cheese, eggs, most everything of importance, but, yes, one can obtain these things. The idea that it's proper for the government to operate monoploy control over the supply is, in my view, not Stalinist but an offshoot of religion and wrong on that basis alone.

And FWIW I agree that there is a strong public health argument to be made for attempting to modify peoples consumption of fast food by using taxation, just as taxation on petrol and vehicle emmission in Europe has helped to drive people towards more environmentally beneficial choices there.
Should the government seize the burger shops and put burger sellers in the uniforms of the State? That's the Canadian way to influence consumption.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Removing the monopoly would mean less market share for the LCBO, so less buying power for them, and higher prices for them. It would mean that they would have to compete on price with businesses that would be trying to buy market share early on, so lower selling prices for the LCBO. Has higher costs and lower margins ever resulted in something other than less profit? there is no argument that removing the monopoly would cut booze prices, it would, but whether that is a good idea in the long run is whats at the heart of the question.
Just to be clear. I don't want to abolish the monopoly. I want to abolish the LCBO.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
While it's good to flush out the broader elements of the argument are there any organizations or political parties that are engaged in lobbing for the abolition of the government liquor control system?
As an issue it is a non-starter. It makes hundreds of millions of dollars for the provincial government and employs thousands of unionized workers. The liberals can't afford to scrap it and the NDP are afraid to.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
One can obtain almost anything in Ontario. Much of it is unreasonably expensive or inappropriately controlled; booze, cheese, eggs, most everything of importance, but, yes, one can obtain these things. The idea that it's proper for the government to operate monoploy control over the supply is, in my view, not Stalinist but an offshoot of religion and wrong on that basis alone.

Should the government seize the burger shops and put burger sellers in the uniforms of the State? That's the Canadian way to influence consumption.

Okay, but Stalinism, organized religion or the LCB are all logocentic grand narratives that attempt to totalize the argument. What's next? A government monopoly on gasoline supply? What about coffee, should they nationalize Starbucks or Tim Hortons? How drugs? I bet it could make lots of dosh on jacking up the price of insulin.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As an issue it is a non-starter. It makes hundreds of millions of dollars for the provincial government and employs thousands of unionized workers. The liberals can't afford to scrap it and the NDP are afraid to.
That's precisely the point. We need a single issue, grass-roots organization that once its gained enough power and money can then "persuade" a political party to support our position. A sort of very focused version of the American Tea Party movement.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Less than now.
I dont see how, please explain how taking 12% on reduced sales and maybe 20% on profits from those sales can add up to a larger number than 12% on more sales and 100% of the profits made under monopoly conditions with huge buying power... It doesnt add up.

Are you proposing some sort of alcohol super tax to fill the void? Factor in the need of private business to make a profit and pay shareholder dividends etc and there is no way it would work?
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:42 pm

I dont see how, please explain how taking 12% on reduced sales and maybe 20% on profits from those sales can add up to a larger number than 12% on more sales and 100% of the profits made under monopoly conditions with huge buying power... It doesnt add up.

Are you proposing some sort of alcohol super tax to fill the void? Factor in the need of private business to make a profit and pay shareholder dividends etc and there is no way it would work?

That's no justification for doing something that is categorically wrong. Maybe it could start saving money by cutting a few public sector jobs, like LCB employees for instance.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely drink so I don't give a crap really, and I do like that they don't sell booze in the supermarkets and it does seem to make it significantly more difficult for minors to get their hands on it, so less drunk yobs floating about.

In Alberta there is no direct provincial control like there is in Ontario, however the govt. licenses the wholesalers and there is only one, so that's a monopoly and that is why the prices are much higher.

The thing that irks me more is how the securities markets work in Canada, with each province having their own regulator, which is crazy. The tories are trying to make it national but as per usual Québec objects. But it creates an oligopolistic market for securities trading which clearly can't be in the economic interests of Canada.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's precisely the point. We need a single issue, grass-roots organization that once its gained enough power and money can then "persuade" a political party to support our position. A sort of very focused version of the American Tea Party movement.
We could call it the Canadian Bottle Party.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What's next?
But there have been duties and excise on booze for many years, at one point it was the primary way governments got revenue.

Booze is seeing as having a negative impact on society, prohibition obviously didn't work but without question the system of regulation in Canada is a holdover from prohibition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.