Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

poisonous bugs/gardening

poisonous bugs/gardening

Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Default Re: poisonous bugs/gardening

Apparently, Brown Recluse/Hobo Spiders live in some parts of Canada.

http://www.brownreclusespider.com/faq.htm

I've been here a year and haven't seen as many spiders here as in the uk. Although I would certainly go careful when having a rummage in my garage. Spiders freak me out as do wasps!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From West Yorkshire to Ontario. Now enjoying life in Saskatchewan
Manson will become famous soon enough

The kids have seen garter snakes in the garden and also found the poison ivy.

We have spiders in the house but very rarely see them, just know they are there from the occasional bites we wake up with in the morning. Strange though we never see them in the bath like we did in the UK.

There has also been warnings from the police about bears been sited down the road from us but we have never actually seen one.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alison33
Apparently, Brown Recluse/Hobo Spiders live in some parts of Canada.
They are two different species. We get hobo spiders in southern BC (though I've never knowingly seen one) but it is far too cool for brown recluses. Brown recluses live in the southern half of the US.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caitilin
Snakes don't worry me - I have a pet snake and I know more than enough to stay a long way away from any snake that isn't mine!
Having said that, most snakes are more afraid of us than we are of them. That said, I appreciate people not killing them if they're cute wee little garter snakes...they're just harmless babies ;-) So thank you Iaink

fledermaus, I suspect i'll run into poison ivy one of these days, as everyone warns me for the stuff and nobody ever points it out...as everyone diligently gets rid of it!
Poison Ivy. isnt the saying "Leaves of three, let it be?"
Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Snakes don't worry me

Snakes are not an issue in Canada because if they were I would not be here. In 40 years of living here I have only seen one garter snake.
Where are you Brian?

I lived in the city and so didnt see any, now we are rural and just up the river from Iaink so I am worried! I have been trying to train myself so that I can look at a picture of a snake at least. Lord knows what will happen when I see a real one in the yard, or the cat brings one home.

More bleeding challenges.........
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of several plants that come up three leaved or three lobed...;-)
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caitilin
I can think of several plants that come up three leaved or three lobed...;-)
That's what makes it tricky, especially as poison ivy has a few varieties

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohor...9/426-109.html
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/475190_6
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:27 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a couple of snakes here last summer, not really sure what type they were but I have a picture of one somewhere (I'll have a look for it later on). Both were pretty small, possibly a foot in length.

I actually drove over one of them, after getting out of the car and checking it, it seemed fine and went about it's business of crossing my driveway.

Locals say they're harmless but might reward you with a bite on the hand, so kids should know that they're around, especially in the longer grass.

As for spiders, I'm always hearing of people getting bitten, getting an infection and needing antibiotics. I'm always outside doing something in summer, yard work etc, and have had no such problems yet myself..not sure if we're all as susceptible to the bites and infections as each other but my kid did get a nasty bite from something last year that made her hand swell up for a bit (which she needed antibiotics for).

Perhaps the worst bug experience I've had was nasally ingesting blackflies. I was out digging in the yard in late May one year and the little buggers were dive bombing from all sides. That was probably the worst they've been in my time here. These "Canadian experiences" help us grow strong, so I'm told.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:33 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Hide the butter Marmaduke, there's a Scouser in a Civic!

Originally Posted by fledermaus
now we are rural and just up the river from Iaink so I am worried!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:31 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

This is the snake (sorry about the quality of the photo), probably a garter snake but if anyone knows better, please tell.

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I saw a couple of snakes here last summer, not really sure what type they were but I have a picture of one somewhere (I'll have a look for it later on). Both were pretty small, possibly a foot in length.
Attached Thumbnails poisonous bugs/gardening-snake.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

From what i can see yeah, he looks like a little garter snake. Cute! thanks for posting, I'd love to have them in my garden!