Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

pneumonia vaccine and a bottle of morphine thanks!

pneumonia vaccine and a bottle of morphine thanks!

Old May 18th 2007, 9:35 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pneumonia vaccine and a bottle of morphine thanks!

When I mentioned to my doctor where we were going and what the temperatures were like, he suggested that me and the wee Miggins get our pneumonia jabs.

So we did yesterday at 16.00hrs.

However, I have now just settled my five year old in to bed after spending the evening in accident and emergency.

We have both taken quite a nasty reaction to it.

Little miss miggins (she of the chicken "pops") has been fine though

But just thought I would let anyone else thinking about the same thing know the following(which can be a life saver in fairness)

Organise it on a day (week!) where you have nothing pressing to do.

Forget it if you are going to fly! If your arms swells to the gigcanticum that mine has you will be in bloody agony.

Be prepared not to drive or sleep for a few days....

Also be prepared for a child whos temperature went from normal to 41C in less than an hour. (firghtened the crap out of me!)

So - at the point where my house still hadn't exchanged, the Canadian Dollar has taken on its own whole new life and when I am just getting over turning 30, immigrating and a child with chicken "pops" I decided to allow the family to be jabbed with something that can only be described as having the power to induce agony....... mmmm. Not one of my better weeks me thinks

Oh and by the way I found out last night there are 33% of all known strains of the virus/horrible thing that you won't be protected from.

If I could get rip roaring drunk tonight I would.
But I can't.
Because I my arm can't hold on to a bottle when the other does the unscrewing.
I tried
I failed.
I am off to writhe around in pain in my own bed.
Goodnight one and all.
From an utterly P@**ED off Mrs Miggins.

Last edited by Mrs Miggins; May 18th 2007 at 9:38 pm. Reason: because I had to type one handed.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:44 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pneumonia vaccine and a bottle of morphine thanks!

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
When I mentioned to my doctor where we were going and what the temperatures were like, he suggested that me and the wee Miggins get our pneumonia jabs.

So we did yesterday at 16.00hrs.

However, I have now just settled my five year old in to bed after spending the evening in accident and emergency.

We have both taken quite a nasty reaction to it.

Little miss miggins (she of the chicken "pops") has been fine though

But just thought I would let anyone else thinking about the same thing (which can be a life saver in fairness)

Organise it on a day (week!) where you have nothing pressing to do.

Forget it if you are going to fly as if your arms swells to the gigcanticum that mine has you will be in bloody agony.

Be prepared not to drive or sleep for a few days....

Also be prepared for a child whos temperature went from normal to 41C in less than an hour. (firghtened the crap out of me!)

So - at the point where my house still hadn't exchanged, the Canadian Dollar has taken on its own whole new life and when I am just getting over turning 30, immigrating and a child with chicken "pops" I decided to allow the family to be jabbed with something that can only be described as having the power to induce agony....... mmmm. Not one of my better weeks me thinks

Oh and by the way I found out last night there are 33% of all known strains of the virus/horrible thing that you won't be protected from.

If I could get rip roaring drunk tonight I would.
But I can't.
Because I my arm can't hold on to a bottle when the other does the unscrewing.
I tried
I failed.
I am off to writhe around in pain in my own bed.
Goodnight one and all.
From an utterly P@**ED off Mrs Miggins.
One of my sons had a violent reaction to that one too. The nurse gave it to him when I expressly said NO, knowing that it is a nasty one for reactions. Her reasoning....she thought I "didn't understand the importance of the shots as I was from outside Canada". :curse: I have had an ongoing battle for years with the health units here about vaccinations. Too many, too soon and the limited protection they provide is often not worth the risk IMHO. I am not talking about MMR (which I will not give my kids anyway until they are over two and have a good immune system) and the DPT and Hep B series, but ones I consider to be unnecessary like Varivax and the pneumonia ones. BTW everyone will tell you here that your children cannot go to school or daycare without the full set of shots. It's utter tosh, there is no legal requirement to vaccinate your child in Canada, despite what they say.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:03 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your reactions to the jab. Hope that a good nights sleep will leave you feeling better tomorrow. If not, a weekend snuggled up under a duvet should be on the cards.

Here in New Glasgow I know 3 people who have had pneumonia since we arrived 4 months ago (and we don't really know many people). 1 aged 16, 1 aged 41 and the other aged 50. All are normally very healthy people. 6 weeks later and they are still not back to normal.

In the UK I thought it was generally elderly people and people of general poor health who got pneumonia but apparently its not the case.

Hope your jab covers for you both for quite a few years to come.
Old May 19th 2007, 3:30 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Pneumovax here is given to seniors. It is not routinely offered nor advised for the young and healthy as far as I am aware.

Hep A and B are more widely given! A whole load of customers at a local restaurant had to innoculated against Hep A this week as a member of staff was found to have contracted it!
Old May 19th 2007, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Hep A and B are more widely given!
But not widely enough.

I know of a young lady who fell in love, had her first sexual relationship....a month later she was in fulminant hepatic failure: her perfect liver died from the hepatitis she caught from her bloke.

She woke up in hospital having had a liver transplant!

OP: Sorry to hear that you had a reaction to the vax.
Old May 19th 2007, 9:56 am

Oh my god the idea of making my little boy go through any other jabs is awful but we havn't had any hep jabs......Is this something I should be doing now? We fly on the 7th of June - so do you think we should wait until we get there and he has got over this "incident!?" he is still pretty freaked out by the whole thing - typical male 5 year old lol!

Our arms are both ultra sore but we have woken up feeling much better after a good nights sleep. Little Miss Miggins never even had a bruise where she got "jabbed" - extrodinary
Old May 19th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god the idea of making my little boy go through any other jabs is awful but we havn't had any hep jabs......Is this something I should be doing now? We fly on the 7th of June - so do you think we should wait until we get there and he has got over this "incident!?" he is still pretty freaked out by the whole thing - typical male 5 year old lol!

Our arms are both ultra sore but we have woken up feeling much better after a good nights sleep. Little Miss Miggins never even had a bruise where she got "jabbed" - extrodinary

Not sure how old little miss miggins is but do they not now get this vaccine in the UK, isn't it the pneomoccocal vaccine and if she is about under 3 - has she already not had it- which explains her lack fo reaction- or maybe I am getting muddled

Gryphea
Old May 19th 2007, 10:33 am

To be honest it's what shes like --- a little trojan

She hasn't had it and will be four in October -how strange is that

Still would like to know what to do about all the hep stuff though, that's a worry!
Old May 19th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest it's what shes like --- a little trojan

She hasn't had it and will be four in October -how strange is that

Still would like to know what to do about all the hep stuff though, that's a worry!

No She won't get it in Uk then, ordinarily. They only recently brought it in an for babies and backdated it to those under two at the time. My daughter only just hit this and she is now 2 1/2

I would look up heps on the net

Hep B is routinely vaccinated in Alberta in grade 5:
http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/public/imm_cd14.html

I would suggest you and hubby don't need it if you practice monogamy and are not needle sharers.

Hep A - not sure about- wouldn't have thought it was necessary...........
Old May 19th 2007, 11:21 am

Needle shares defo no.

Monogamy - he may as well consider himself dead anyway!
Old May 19th 2007, 3:39 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Here's more info on Hepatitis. It explains why the restaurant customers would have been vaccinated. Elsewhere on the same site it explains that the aim of the HepB schools program is to target kids before they become young adults and sexually active, so you are probably OK to wait til you get here to have it inflicted on your kids!

Hepatitis - is a disease of the liver which caused by a virus. Hepatitis A is a viral disease that is usually caused by ingesting food or drinks that may have been contaminated with fecal matter. Hepatitis B is another virus that is transmitted through an exchange of blood or bodily fluids. People can carry the hepatitis virus without any symptoms. Hepatitis C is spread through exchange of blood, often by sharing needles or other injection equipment.

http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/public/d...html#Hepatitis
Old May 19th 2007, 4:23 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bchealthguide.org/immunization.stm

This is the BC immunization schedule. The main MMR and DPT series are ones I think most kids have in the UK, with some variation in the MMR dates. Hep B is given to babies here. Health Units huff and puff about the reasons for giving Hep B shots when you ask them. I had to have Hep B shots due to the fact that I work with drug users. My kids have had Hep B shots since we got here, just to be on the safe side, due to my high rate of exposure. The Meningoccal C conjugate and the Pneumoccocal conjugate I have issues with. One of my children had an anaphylactic reaction to the pneumococcal shot, such reaction being more common than they let on. There are studies being conducted now as the reported numbers of cases of severe reaction to the shot are quite high.
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Needle shares defo no.

Monogamy - he may as well consider himself dead anyway!

Monogamy - isn't that a kind of wood?